• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (5 Viewers)

Not quite as early this morning (6:45), and didn't do Pendennis, but -

Swanpool -

1 Great Crested Grebe
18 Coot
2 Pied Wagtail (local pair)
1 Reed Warbler (singing and showing nicely from the sallows at the south end)
Willow Warbler showing nicely

Green Woodpecker, GSpot Woodpecker, Goldcrest, Bullfinch etc heard.

1 Black Guillemot (Tystie) offshore, distant and light so poor that distinguishable by structure and bill profile, + knowledge it was probably there (!)

2 wader sps flew east (Whimbrel?)

Last edited:
Out to Pendennis for a seawatch in what weren't particularly amazing conditions, but turned out rather interesing ... ;) ... at last the sun had stopped shining and it was overcast and the predominantly easterly winds gave way to a (very light) westerly. This meant birds were there, the sea was almost calm, and visibility was good ...

Swanpool Point (as scoped from Pendennis) -

1 Black Guillemot
11 Whimbrel in flight

Pendennis Point
(8:00 - 9:00am)

Gannet 100+ west
Auk sp. c.200 west (including both G and R)
1 PUFFIN west
1 possible SABINE'S GULL west
3 Common Scoter west
11 Kittiwake west (ad)
22 Manx Shearwater west

1 subad Black Guillemot east (the Swanpool bird) - flew into and landed halfway up the Carrick Roads - first time seen this bird in flight.
15 Whimbrel east (presumably the Swanpool birds+4 half an hour later)

1 Guillemot offshore
2 Black-throated Diver offshore c.1 and 2 mile distant
15 Great Northern Diver offshore 1 - 3 miles distant
2 Sandwich Tern resting in the Carrick Roads

The odd Fulmar, Herring Gulls and Shags out there too.

Most birds distant unfortunately, the Guillemot, Tystie, Whimbrels and a handful of the divers excepted. The Sab's Gull was at long range, resembling a small black and white falcon jizz wise in many ways. The Puffin was leading a small phalanx of (presumed) Guillemots - rel. small and dark winged.

Last edited:
Then on to Swanpool, via Castle Beach, all rather anticlimactic. 2 Reed Warbler the highlight. 8 Fulmar nest sites occupied. Then briefly later on (it was raining, or trying to) -

Gorrangorras -

1 Greenshank
3 Mute Swan
1 Little Egret

College Res -

3 Tufted Duck
c.100 Herring Gull
3 GCGrebe (1 sitting)
4 Canada Goose (2 sitting)
4+ singing Blackcap
6 Swallow
Nuthatch at nesthole

Argal Res -

6 GCGrebe
1 Garden Warbler

Last edited:
Out again this morning - a bit of a nice breeze this time though.

Pendennis Point 7:45 - 9:15 All west unless stated otherwise.

3 Common Scoter
c.200 Kittiwake
hundreds of Gannets, mostly in flocks of c.20 going through
c.100 Auk sps (again, G, R and unidentified depending on range)
1 PUFFIN. This one a lot closer and possibly had been resting in the roads. On its own and flew out to sea. Nice (and second patch record :t: )
7 Bonxies (3,3 and 1) First two groups close-ish in. Nice!
1 Red-throated Diver Another good bird.
1 GLAUCOUS GULL. Unaged, but seen dwarfing a nearby Herring Gull also out at sea. Loafing around a bit, lost at mid-range when I tried to photograph it.
29 Whimbrel (flock of 25 + singles).
c.30 Manx Shearwater
2 Sandwich Tern

Offshore 1 Black-throated and 1 Great Northern Diver. JSL had a second BTD off Gyllyngvase.

Earlier a quick perambulation of the wooded peninsula itself turned up 1 Whitethroat - an actual reasonable passerine migrant!

Gorrangorras c.11:30 (high tide) -

1 Greenshank
2 Oystercatcher
with 4 Sandwich Terns visible further down resting on bouys towards the Greenbank Hotel.

Treverva -

7 Buzzards together overhead, Whitethroats been back on territory since yesterday at least. A quick look at the reservoirs from the road didn't reveal anything exciting.

Last edited:
Pendennis Point 6:00 - 8:30. Strong SSW mostly clear. All west

Gannet 500+/hour (sample count 110/10 mins)
Fulmar 80+
Manx Shearwater 30 up to 8am, thereafter moving through more regularly
Sandwich Tern 7
Eider 1f
Common Scoter 3
Bonxie 3 (2 at 7am after a brief squall, 1 at 7:30)
Auk sp c.100
Whimbrel 30
Kittiwake 30+
Diver sp. 4

Didn't mean to start that early, but woke in the early hours and didn't get back to sleep.

Last edited:
Gorrangorras, Penryn River high tide (c.3:30)

4 Greenshank
1 Bar-tailed Godwit
5 Mute Swan

headed off towards the coast en route to home, got distracted from seawatching by large numbers of gulls off Gyllyngvase - c.500 Herring Gulls frenziedly feeding in the surf/beach much as the BH Gulls had been doing a few months earlier. Another 300 up to Castle Beach. No white-wingers that I could pick out. Variety provided by 1 Lesser Black-back at Castle Beach and a pair of Mallard feeding alongside the gulls in the flotsam. 1 Black-throated Diver offshore c. 4:30pm. Plenty of Gannets still moving west, 1 manxie whilst I was looking, but didn't stay long.

Back out this evening after tea - Samuel was back and out there in the field seeing good numbers of Bonxie and Whimbrel (but they'd stopped by the time I'd arrived of course).

Highlights -

9 Arctic Terns through! Nice ... they came right into the bay before heading west. (Another group of 9 distant terns 10 minutes later could have been the same, but were probably (?) different commic Terns ... )

3 Sandwich Terns west

1 GNDiver and 1 Razorbill on the sea, a few Manxies through. 1 Peregrine also.

On Swanpool, the Reed Warbler still singing away at the SW corner, and a whole troop of 12 Mallard ducklings voraciously attacking the grass at the roadside in the NE corner.

Last edited:
First day back on the Fal patch! Not much time for updates as I'm still all over the place and disorganised with unpacking, exams etc. 8-P

Went straight out seawatching from about 3:45-8ish with intermittent heavy showers, later joined by Dan. By far the biggest highlight was the use of the shelter at the Hooked Cafe, absolute class I am very grateful for it!! :t:

Birds (all westwards unless stated otherwise):

6 Bonxies
(1 then a group of 5 which gradually split up as they moved through the bay)
238 Whimbrel (40, 6, 6, 20, 3, 7, 6, 36, 20, 9, 23, 62)
1 pos. Brent Goose E (took me totally by surprise so didn't get enough on it to be thoroughly happy, would have been a patch mega!)
Manxies trickling through steadily (probably would have reached triple figures had I been counting)
9 Arctic Terns
2 Commic Terns
1 GND
1 Peregrine
3 Sandwich Terns
Guillemot 2 on the water
plenty of Gannets, Fulmars, Herring and GBBGulls
couple douzen auks moving through the bay (too distant and difficult IDing when disappearing behind wave crests)

and a female Grey Seal

Yes, welcome back. That's a lot of Whimbrel!

Out this morning for an hour or two, but relatively hard work.

22 Whimbrel on Swanpool Point, disturbed and flew off east.
1 Whitethroat by the footpath there too.

Swanpool Golfcourse - singing Skylark at the west end, Whitethroats and other common warblers etc.

Distant Gannets out to sea, and 1 Mallard with 6 ducklings making the approach to Swanpool Beach, don't know if they made it or not as a GBBGull and a few Herrings took an interest ... 1 Great Northern Diver not too far offshore (winter-plumage still - yesterday's bird was sum plum) and a Razorbill distantly.

1 Sand Martin and 6 Swallow on Swanpool. Reed Warbler.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan, it's good to be back on a coastal patch |=)|

Thought I'd put up a couple pics of some migrating flocks of Whimbrel taken yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC04384a.jpg
    DSC04384a.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC04382b.jpg
    DSC04382b.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 35
At Castle Beach 10am
1 Whimbrel
2 Swallow
Mallard

Swanpool side of Gylly 1030am
17 Whimbrel
1 Swallow
saw JSL and shouted to him but he was below me on the rocks

Last year Castle Beach had 19 Whimbrel (27/4/13)

Swanpool 1400hrs
Razorbill Gylly side of the beach off the rocks
Reed Warbler west side of the Pool
Male Blackcap

Last edited:
At Castle Beach 10am
1 Whimbrel
2 Swallow
Mallard

Swanpool side of Gylly 1030am
17 Whimbrel
1 Swallow
saw JSL and shouted to him but he was below me on the rocks

Last year Castle Beach had 19 Whimbrel (27/4/13)

Swanpool 1400hrs
Razorbill Gylly side of the beach off the rocks
Reed Warbler west side of the Pool
Male Blackcap

Yesterday:
Stithians 1800hrs
5 Sedge Warblers
1 Willow Warb
2 Linnet
1 GC Grebe

Stack Point 1900hrs
Whitethroat
6 Linnet
Jay
Chiff
6 Swallow
Blackcap

Quick look around a few spots today whilst passing by -

Swanpool quiet apart from Reed Warbler still

Gorrangorras - Greenshank, Whimbrel and 5 Mute Swan at high tide

Argal Res - 5 GCGrebe from the dam

College Res - 2 GCG scoped from the upper path

Didn't go to the reservoirs properly, but eg no hirundines visible at 7:30 this evening.

Again a quick look at the coast this am -

Pendennis -

2 Wheatear
1 singing Whitethroat

Castle Beach -

Mallard pair +10 ducklings

Falmouth Bay - 2 Guillemot, distant Gannets

Just got back from a days fishing on Argal and I'me quite excited.
Late afternoon saw two ducks flying south coming towards me. As they came close, about 40 - 50 yards away I could see they were something different.
I'me sure they were goosander, if so the first I have seen.
Is it likely.

PS As you know I only use the mark one eyeball to see with relying on them coming close.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back