• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Am I Wasting My Time ? (1 Viewer)

Dave R

I've got a SLR digiscoping adaptor supplied by my scope manufacturer (Hawke).
If I've set it up right it attaches to the scope instead of the existing eyepiece and then onto a T2 mount onto my DSLR (Sony Alpha).
As it stands I can't see a way to focus the camera, I think it thinks there is no lens attached so doesn't try and auto-focus and I haven't at the moment seen a way of manually focussing, although maybe I'm missing something.
So as the title says do posters think that this set-up will ever work? Is there a T2 mount that will allow the adaptor to be recognised as a lens or is there likely to be a setting somewhere on the camera I haven't found to help?
Failing this, general advice should I try and find another DSLR camera body that would work and which or should I try one of the more complicated set-ups with a compact (would probably have to buy a new one - do have a Panasonic FZ18 but haven't come across adaptors for super-zooms)
Hoping that some of the knowledgeable folks on here can offer some good advice

You have to manually focus the scope, there should be setting somewhere in the menu ("Release w/o lens" for Sony Alpha cameras) that will allow the shutter to fire when your scope is attached. You will also probably need to set the camera on manual focus and there will be a switch somewhere on the body marked "AF MF" set it to "MF".

Last edited:
Been busy so not had chance to have another practice until this morning. What I've found is that I have to set camera to Manual setting then it will allow the shutter to release, couldn't find release without lens option but I guess amounts to the same thing.
The bit I was getting at before was how does the camera know without autofocus that the object it is capturing is say 6 inches away and not 6 feet.
Also I have a 20-60x eyepiece, I have removed this to attach the adaptor so obviously can't vary the magnification, is it still a 20x viewed through this adaptor?
TIA

Also I have a 20-60x eyepiece, I have removed this to attach the adaptor so obviously can't vary the magnification, is it still a 20x viewed through this adaptor?
TIA

Magnification is the focal length of the scope divided by 50. Not sure which model you have but their 80mm scope is 480mm focal length which would come out at 9.6X magnification on the camera.

The camera doesn't need to know the distance to the object. It's either in focus or it's not. Why would it need to know the distance? It wont make any difference to the camera.

Paul.

Yeah being a bit thick on the focussing, wasn't thinking that the scope was acting as the lens doh.
It is 480mm, so 9.6 with the Aps-c sensor is sort of giving me equivalent of 720mm lens. I've taken a few practice shots but obviously what looks focussed on camera screen is not as sharp when viewed back so I presume needs plenty of practice.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back