• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

SheffBirdingSam

Hello.

I am currently using a Canon EOS 20D and a Sigma 150-500mm os hsm lens which I love.

I want to know if is bought a DSLR Camera Adaptor for my Opticron HR80 scope would the image quality be as good or better as the Canon 20D and sigma 150-500mm lens.

Or

Would a Swarovski Scope be a better option with a DSLR Camera?

Hope this isn't to confusing.

Regards,
Sam Winslow.

Hi Sam,

I am not familiar with the Opticron scope you mention so I cannot answer directly (I use Nikon ED82A for watching/P&S digiscoping and also for DSLR digiscoping).

• Is the Opticron fitted with ED glass? (Prerequisite for high IQ)
  • Is it an angled or straight model? (Straight = easier to operate with DSLR in my opinion)

BR
Tord

Unless you practice, and practice and practice and practice...no digiscoping set up is going to afford you as good of a picture as your combo (Canon 20D and Sigma Lens.). Practice is key....

When digiscoping, you go by an entirely new set of 'rules' and settings and until you become familiar with it, .... the shots will look terrible and you will have many non keepers.

Once you become astute with the techniques used for Digiscoping, the photos will be good, especially for web-based photos. There will always be more noise in a digiscoping photo, period.

Given your set up with the Opticron...you will not get as good as results as if you used an Alpha scope. Digiscoping requires top equipment to net pretty good results... My opinion... jim

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back