• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Citrine Wagtail France? (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Right this is where I make a monkey of myself - firstly by the title and secondly with someone coming back in 5 seconds to say its a standard White Wagtail.

It didn't resemble all the 50 other White Wagtails in the same place although I admit the odds are against me.

Does have a cracking pair of wing bars, pale lores, jet black legs and in the field jet black bill although once again the light was against me...

Prepared to be schooled......

Attachments

• Wagtail.JPG
    Wagtail.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 255
  • wagtail 2.JPG
    wagtail 2.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 159
  • wagtail 3.JPG
    wagtail 3.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 164
  • wagtail 4.JPG
    wagtail 4.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 182
  • wagtail 5.JPG
    wagtail 5.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 174
Hmm - looks long-tailed to me - more like a White Wagtail. Can't see enough of the face pattern. Can't see a necklace though

Last edited:
Not immediately blown out of the water then!

I don't think these will help any but three more shots...

Attachments

• wagtail 6.JPG
    wagtail 6.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 77
  • wagtail 7.JPG
    wagtail 7.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Wagtail 8.JPG
    Wagtail 8.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 64
Now you've raised my hopes and from google search images there are more on 'citrine' (a handful) than 'white' (none) that resemble mine, look at the flamborough bird...

As Jane says, it looks long tailed for cit wag. I'm struggling to see any reason why it isn't a white wag tbh. It's not too difficult to find pics of juv white wag with little to no necklace. Wing bars do look quite strong but again, nothing out of the ordinary. It's also difficult to judge the plumage tones as the pics look quite overexposed. Unfortunately there's just not enough detail in the pic to make a call - especially such a big one.

i'd trust structure over what you can see plumage-wise. If you look at Citrines the longest tertial (base where it goes under the GCs to the tip) is just a little longer than the tip of that tertial to the tail tip. In whites its substantially more (like yours) Sorry!

Thank you both for replying. The Citrine remains on my most wanted list. I'm sure when I see one I will be sure!

Mark, I headed to Ayguelongue because there was a WWBlack Tern the day before - wasn't refound...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back