• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mountain vs Western Bluebird immature, Ely, Nevada, USA (1 Viewer)

SHolt

I am second guessing my identification on these immature bluebirds that like to feed and occasionally drink on my roof. There are usually adults around that watch over the young birds. There were none that I could see in the vicinity. Images taken 21 August 2017 at 1500 pm PDT. There were seven of them. I have images for four. Each single bird in an image is different. The two "less clear" birds are duplicated in the group shot. The bird with more blue, bottom right, was a new one flying over the roof.

Attachments

• MountainBluebird_Immature_ElyHouse_20170821_IMG_8395.jpg
    MountainBluebird_Immature_ElyHouse_20170821_IMG_8395.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 30
  • MountainBluebird_Immature_ElyHouse_20170821_IMG_8398.jpg
    MountainBluebird_Immature_ElyHouse_20170821_IMG_8398.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 18
  • MountainBluebird_Immature_ElyHouse_20170821_IMG_8399.jpg
    MountainBluebird_Immature_ElyHouse_20170821_IMG_8399.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 31
  • MountainBluebird_Immature_ElyHouse_20170821_IMG_8402.jpg
    MountainBluebird_Immature_ElyHouse_20170821_IMG_8402.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 28
Most of them show the very long primaries of Mountain Bluebird and the grayer, less rufous, plumage. I think Westerns would be up in the pinyon juniper zone during breeding, whereas Mountain is in more open country.

Andy

I believe that they are mountain bluebirds but the juveniles always throw me off this time of year. Thanks for the assistance.

(The P-J zone is a 1 mile walk from my front door so the Westerns are here as well; just not as frequently this time of year. I usually see the Westerns during more typical migration timing.)

Most of them show the very long primaries of Mountain Bluebird and the grayer, less rufous, plumage. I think Westerns would be up in the pinyon juniper zone during breeding, whereas Mountain is in more open country.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back