• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EG Eyecup (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I am currently looking to replace the rubber eyecup on my canon Eos1d mk4 and believe the correct eyecup is the EG version.
However when looking to place the order I notice 2 different options available.
The first approx £9.99 being what I assume is a std rubber eyecup.
The second approx £29.99 looks identical but is sold as a Dioptric adjustment lens for those (like me) that normally wear glasses etc.
While I understand the need for Diopter adjustment I am a little unclear as to what eyecup to buy as the camera itself has the facility to adjust the diopter underneath the eyecup anyway !
This being the case I would have thought that the std eyecup would suffice but I guess I'm missing the point regarding the more expensive option.
It may be that the diopter adjustment on the camera doesn't allow enough adjustment for some users maybe ?
I would therefore appreciate any feedback before placing my order for a replacement.

Thanks

Hi Eos9

A quick reference to page 40 of the User Manual shows that there are 2 Eye Cups. The standard one works as normal and uses the camera dioptric adjustment button. The second one, the EG, is used to provide additional adjustment if the standard set up cannot provide a sharp image.

Shane

Having read the article its pretty much as I suspected with the more expensive eyepiece being used only if the 'in camera' adjustment isn't sufficient. Answers my question perfectly so I'l opt for the std eyepiece in this instance.

Thanks for the info Shane - much appreciated

Have a look at the following for an explanation of Canon's Dioptric Adjustment lenses www.eos-magazine.com/articles/viewfinder/dioptric.html

Shane

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back