• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IOC World Bird List 7.3 (1 Viewer)

davercox

Dave Cox
Supporter
And (again) I've only just twigged that 7.3 is now complete.

And (again) apologies if someone has already pointed this out.

The British List and IOC

I'll try and get it right it this time.

It looked as though we were going to gain a species (Thayer's Gull) --- and now (7.2) it seems we're not.

It looked as though we were going to lose a species (Lesser Redpoll) --- and now (7.3) it seems we're not (at least pro tem.

I'll try and get it right it this time.

It looked as though we were going to gain a species (Thayer's Gull) --- and now (7.2) it seems we're not.

It looked as though we were going to lose a species (Lesser Redpoll) --- and now (7.3) it seems we're not (at least pro tem.

It's all coming out now, the bidding war and secret negotiations between BOURC and the various lists to see which got BOURC's blessing - IOC offered the best sweetener by promising to adopt BOURC taxonomy 3:)

Found a possible error in IOC 7.3; on the babblers page, half way down:

*Rufous-vented Prinia Laticilla burnesii (Blyth, 1844) OR : Pakistan, nw India, Nepal PHY, TAX Transfer Rufous-vented Prinia from Prinia (Cisticolidae) to Laticilla (Pellorneidae) (Olsson et al. 2013b)
**L. b. burnesii (Blyth, 1844) Pakistan and nw India
**L. b. nepalicola Baral, Basnet, Chaudhary, B, Chaudhary, H, Giri & Som, 2008 Nepal
(my bolding)

But the protologue gives it as Prinia burnesii nipalensis. Is there any reason for the change in spelling from nipalensis to nepalicola, or is this an error?

Out of interest, has the taxonomy of Rufous-vented Prinia (s.l.) now been definitively determined? The Nepalese birds are, I believe, intermediate between western and eastern populations, and I wonder what the basis is for assigning them to what is now L.burnesii rather than L.cinerascens, and also whether the existence of an intermediate form undermines the support for the east / west split?

Perhaps the genetics provide clear support?

Perhaps the genetics provide clear support?
I see no genetic data in the repositories that would allow to test this.

The HBW/BLI checklist says, under L. cinerascens:
Newly described race L. b. nepalicola appears to represent a partial link to present species, but little is known; further research may result in reunification with L. cinerascens.
Nothing really 'clear', thus.

No, you're right. It's a secondary homonymy: the name is preoccupied only if the Nepalese taxon is congeneric with Prinia inornata. In Laticilla, nipalensis must be used.

Excellent, thanks!

I'm presuming someone from IOC will visit this thread and make the correction?

I've contacted Frank Gill and steered him to this thread.

Edit: FG has responded and it will be looked at.

A

Last edited:
Complementary info:

The authors of the HBW/BLI Checklist noted:
Race nepalicola first described (in Prinia) as nipalensis, a name preoccupied within Prinia and unavailable even when species is transferred to Laticilla [930].
Their ref. #930 is the second vol. of H&M4. There (p.533, footnote 4), it is written:
First named and described as P. burnesii nipalensis Baral et al., 2007 [129], but this name preoccupied in Prinia. As a primary homonym, the 2007 name cannot be used although the species has changed genus, see Art. 57.2 (I.C.Z.N. 1999) [1274].
[Art. 57.2 of the Code] reads:
57.2. Primary homonyms. Identical species-group names established for different nominal taxa when originally combined with the same generic name (see also Articles 11.9.3.2 and 57.8.1) are primary homonyms [Art. 53.3] and the junior name is permanently invalid (but see Article 23.9.5) except when: [...]
...But this does not fit the present case at all, as the 2007 name was established in Prinia and the senior homonym is Drymoica nipalensis ("Hodgson") Moore 1854 [OD here], i.e., the names where not "originally combined with the same generic name", and are not primary homonyms.
What applies here is [Art. 59.4 of the Code]:
59.4. Reinstatement of junior secondary homonyms rejected after 1960. A species-group name rejected after 1960 on grounds of secondary homonymy is to be reinstated as valid by an author who considers that the two species-group taxa in question are not congeneric, unless it is invalid for some other reason.
Example. Aus niger Smith, 1950, if transferred after 1960 to Bus, becomes a junior secondary homonym of Bus niger Dupont, 1940, and is renamed Bus ater Jones, 1970. However, an author who does not consider that the two species are congeneric is to reinstate niger Smith as the valid specific name for the species concerned, with ater Jones as a junior synonym.

I just got this reply from David Donsker at the IOC..

'Hi Andy,

Sorry for the tardy reply. I was on vacation for several weeks. Thanks for pointing this out.

It’s difficult to second guess Laurent Raty, but the twists and turns of this case are a little too tough for me to unwrap. My major concern is that the author’s themselves retracted their original name nipalensis and emended (sic) it to nepalicola. Despite their action, I suspect that Laurent may be correct and that the original name they proposed maintains its priority in this case, despite the emendation and the opinion of the H&M4 nomenclatural gurus.

But I would like to check this out with the IOU’s Working Group on Avian Nomenclature for their take on this matter.

I will get back to you once I’ve heard from them.

Best regards,

David

A

Further to this, it will be altered to nipalensis

Hi Andy,

I just heard from Dick Schodde of the IOU Working Group on Avian Nomenclature. He agrees completely with Laurent’s interpretation.

We will correct the name of this taxon to Laticilla burnesii nipalensis (Baral et al. 2007) in our next update.

Thanks very much for Laurent’s insights and for bringing this to our attention.

Kind regards,

David

A

Laticilla burnesii nipalensis

Further to this, it will be altered to nipalensis

Hi Andy,

I just heard from Dick Schodde of the IOU Working Group on Avian Nomenclature. He agrees completely with Laurent’s interpretation.

We will correct the name of this taxon to Laticilla burnesii nipalensis (Baral et al. 2007) in our next update.

Thanks very much for Laurent’s insights and for bringing this to our attention.

Kind regards,

David

A

IOC Subspecies Update:

Correct from nepalicola to original spelling of subspecies epithet. The original name, Prinia burnesii nipalensis Baral et al., 2007, is a secondary homonym rejected after 1960 and must be reinstated when assigned to Laticilla . Raty in litt., Schodde in litt. Contra Dickinson & Christidis 2014.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back