• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (48 Viewers)

Girls , girls it will be handbags at 10 paces next. Its a pity a few people cant accept that some people like to keep their bird watching to themselves. I just love it when I have an area to myself and not another sole in sight. Anything I see is mine and i know the next time I visit the place with luck again I will just have the place to just the birds and myself.

Here is a brief note from my diary from the other week.

That for me is a perfect mornings birdwatching.

Lovely writing:t:, Tideliner, do you get your work published? Maybe you should think about it!

As for recent comments, I don't think it's about keeping their sightings to themselves. I know how you like to bird and admire you for it, but it's not the only way and not for me! I love reading your posts like that (although the occasional throw in of a rarity on other occasions havd come across as deliberate provocation;))

There is the usual issue of anonymity (we all know who you are, although I so often forget your name due to your pseudonym!) and the unusal nature that individuals 'introduce' themselves to threads:eek!:

PS beware of sexism! I feel girls would handle it differently, but I do have my own 'handbag' (manbag, of course) that I could bring along!

o:D

Before this latest pointless keyboard battle runs aground I am tapping out. I have spent too many precious minutes of my life frustratingly arguing with faceless individuals, I don't know why I bother, stupidity is my best bet.

I am easy enough to find in the field, Mafiaman, so if you wish to continue our conversation in a non virtual world I would be more than happy, if you exist at all that is. Please feel free to PM for any details etc.

To most, I apologise for my part in clogging up this valuable thread with non related issues and pointless politics, I am guilty of this more than most.

Kieran

Back to birds:

Cley this morning.
Skeins of Pink-feet in-off, a Marsh Harrier low over the sea also coming in from afar.
Pec Sand, 5 Curlew Sand, Spot Red, 2 Spoonbill
A summer plumaged BT Diver flew close inshore heading West. Always a scarce Norfolk bird and the only one I've seen this year.
Personal highlight was finding a juv Garganey amongst the Teal from Bishop Hide. The first I've seen since a nice male at Salthouse in the Spring

Bring on the E winds!

Back to birds:

Cley this morning.
Skeins of Pink-feet in-off, a Marsh Harrier low over the sea also coming in from afar.
Pec Sand, 5 Curlew Sand, Spot Red, 2 Spoonbill
A summer plumaged BT Diver flew close inshore heading West. Always a scarce Norfolk bird and the only one I've seen this year.
Personal highlight was finding a juv Garganey amongst the Teal from Bishop Hide. The first I've seen since a nice male at Salthouse in the Spring

Bring on the E winds!

As you say, bring on the easterlies!

Winter felt much to evident at Stiffkey last week:
1000s of Pink-feet already using their roost site, 6 Pintail and even a Barnacle Goose flying east!!

Hopefully we haven't missed out on Autumn quite yet, thougho:D

Saw my first ever Water Shrew in Hempnall today. Unfortunately it was freshly dead having been killed by a cat and same morning another cat was munching the head off a Bank Vole so not a good day for my small furry friends but a better day for my medium-sized furry friends!!

Saw my first ever Water Shrew in Hempnall today. Unfortunately it was freshly dead having been killed by a cat and same morning another cat was munching the head off a Bank Vole so not a good day for my small furry friends but a better day for my medium-sized furry friends!!

Interestingly me and a couple of mates had a Water Shrew out on the bank at Titchwell on the way down to the Baird's. Seemed happy to let us watch it as it moved about in the grass, showing down to feet. Smart wee thing, so it was.

Kieran

Titchwell September 18th

Today’s highlights

Pectoral sandpiper – juv on fresh marsh all day although elusive at times
Spoonbill – 11 on fresh marsh
Bar tailed godwit – 1000 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 2 on fresh marsh
Manx shearwater – 1 offshore
Hobby – 2 over reserve
Wheatear – 2 on beach

Paul

Today’s highlights

Pectoral sandpiper – juv on fresh marsh all day although elusive at times
Spoonbill – 11 on fresh marsh
Bar tailed godwit – 1000 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 2 on fresh marsh
Manx shearwater – 1 offshore
Hobby – 2 over reserve
Wheatear – 2 on beach

Paul

Hi Paul
I would like to thank you for your continued contributions to this forum, much appreciated, and would add that I would like to see other RSPB reserves make similar contributions to their county forums ... perhaps you could encourage them! It's good to see a report that is just about birds too ...

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Paul
I would like to thank you for your continued contributions to this forum, much appreciated, and would add that I would like to see other RSPB reserves make similar contributions to their county forums ... perhaps you could encourage them! It's good to see a report that is just about birds too ...

Cheers
Geoff
Agreed:t: Also Paul is one of a very small number of people on this thread who purely contributes about 'Norfolk Birding';)

Last edited:
Progress

A quick look at the BBRC Work In Progress file, newly released, shows that, of 34 records ‘current’ for Norfolk, only 12 are from this or last year. 2 of these are ‘OK’.

Those already accepted for 2011 (and before) will be in the next issue of British Birds- it looks a corker.

There is also a new online system to ‘Submit a Sighting’, which allows notes and photos to be uploaded.

Various comments are on this thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=240339

Nigel Hudson is to be applauded for his forward thinking and continued diligence in providing information to the birding fraternity, where practicable.

(A July Blackburnian Warbler in Northants would have been a glowing sight, if the sun had been shining.)

Autumn ?

Penny (http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/easterlies-on-way-this-weekend.html) is “Looking forward to a spectacular Autumn with no suppression and news put out asap – that would be lovely PLEASE!”

I’m looking forward to some autumn, too. Where is it ?

As for the other: the phrase ‘Cloud Cuckoo Land’ springs (pace Aristophanes and unseasonably) to mind.

Mind you, a Cloud Cuckoo would be a welcome first.

Flying pigs come to mind. Any records of those pending from the bbrc;). The albertross record from 1996 appears to be taking its time too;). Somebody really needs to take a decision.

Last edited:
Hi Paul

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff

Thank you for your feedback.
The RSPB does have a yahoo group that many of the bird information services tap into for information. Many reserves input to this everyday and if you have a pager that is why you get a surge at the end of the day.
Some reserves these days don't always have birders on them so may not be aware of these forums.
We have also started posting regular daily sightings through Twitter @RSPBNorfolkLinc.

Paul

I wonder what the first scarce migrant(s) will be to appear this autumn? I would like to bet that either Yellow browed warbler or Red breasted fly will appear in the early part of next week. Friday afternoon is looking quite interesting.

In the spirit of thank you to Paul Elle.
Today at Cley
2 Spoonbill
Curlew Sandpiper
Blacktailed Godwits
Ruff
1 Avocet
Wideon, Tufted Duck.
Also at Salthouse
Purple Sandpiper with 10 ish Turnstone

Hope this fits the bill
Paul
Redshank

Titchwell September 19th

Todays highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - juv on fresh marsh early morning only
Jack snipe - 1 on fresh marsh feeding in dock near Parrinder Hide but very elusive
Spoonbill - 6 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - female on East Trail
Turtle dove - 1 feeding on fresh marsh mid afternoon
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Great skua - 7 west 10-11am

Paul

Interestingly me and a couple of mates had a Water Shrew out on the bank at Titchwell on the way down to the Baird's. Seemed happy to let us watch it as it moved about in the grass, showing down to feet. Smart wee thing, so it was.

Kieran

Know what you mean. Even though mine was dead it was still very interesting to look at. The contrast between the silky black upperparts and the white unders was very striking. Would love to see a live one and I wish I could have come along early enough in time to save it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back