• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

Scops Owl and Stone Curlews calling again by the main road in the east of Pollensa this evening. A Barn Owl was also here yesterday.

Great White Egret and Great Reed Warbler among the usuals at Albufera this morning.

Jonny F

Last edited:
Highlights today
- S'Albufera (reserve centre area): little bittern (2), great crested grebe, wood sandpiper (25), green sandpiper (5), ruff (2), little stint (3), spotted redshank (20), avocet (2), marbled teal (3), moustached warbler (several singing), reed warbler (2), reed bunting (1 male), woodchat shrike

- the Mirador (Formentor) - crag martin and blue rock thrush

- pollenca: 2 black vulture over the villa

Hi Mike,

Which hide did you have the Marbled Ducks from? We were unable to find any!

Cheers

Jonny

Boat to Cabrera

The trip by boat to Cabrera gave us the opportunity to see very close some of the most common sea birds of Mallorca and get some good pictures of them.

If you have the opportunity dont doubt to go.

Attachments

• 157_ParasitGros.jpg
    157_ParasitGros.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Audouin.jpg
    Audouin.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 44
  • GavinaPati.jpg
    GavinaPati.jpg
    805.9 KB · Views: 48
  • VirotGros.jpg
    VirotGros.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 62
  • VirotPetit.jpg
    VirotPetit.jpg
    729.2 KB · Views: 68
Always a special day Pep. The Shearwaters are so close you can almost touch their wings, fabulous for photography.
Where is the best place for visiting birders to send records of rare and scarce birds please? Send them to Carles or G.O.B.? Thanks, Mike

A bit of a walk around Boquer Valley and Albufereta this morning having been on the Island a few days. Nothing particularly unusual, but a few common migrants. 20 Blackcaps at the villa at Boquer was a bit of a surprise along with Balearic and nominate Woodchat. Finally managed to see the Wryneck having heard it most days.

Albufereta produced a few Red-rumped Swallows and a couple of Pallid Swift among their commoner cousins, the latter offering great side by side comparison with Common Swift. Also two Stone Curlew suprisingly on the floating platform among the stilts. Also a Red Kite was drifting about most of the morning and the pine wood held a few common migrants including Pied Fly. Sighting of the morning was probably Vagrant Emporer Dragonfly by the pools C'an Cuerrassa. There's a big influx happening with quite a few in the UK, so no surprise perhaps, but I've no real idea how unusual they are here and wondered whether some of the other large ones I've seen less well since arriving were also this species.

Other than that S'Albufera produced most of what you'd expect yesterday including nice views of Moustached Warbler, 2 Common Terns (at Depuradora) and Nightingale. Bluethroat not far from Alcudia was a bit of a surprise

Attachments

• 20170411_121858.jpg
    20170411_121858.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
DaveG466 (and others!)
Re: Records.
I have always filled out forms for my records from the Spanish authorities, SEO but GOB also have forms on their website and it is possible to submit them in English I believe.
I send my annual records, e.g. first dates, maximum numbers etc, direct to Carles.
If one of the locals, i.e. Pep or Maties reads this, could they please let us know where visiting birders should best send their records? I am never quite sure which one they favour. Or perhaps anyone else could help?
Many thanks, Mike (saw Pileated Woodpecker today in Virginia)

Hi Mike and other locals to this thread. Any reports and sightings can be sent to [email protected] . Any interesting sightings get published in our anual Balearic Bird Report :t:

15 Bee-eaters flew west calling over Lidl in Pollensa at about three this afternoon.

This morning at Fermentor: Balearic Warbler, 4 Crag Martin, 2 BR Thrush, 3 Balearic Shearwaters, Audoin's and a distant vulture sp among others.

Jonny

walked road that runs at 90 degrees (sw?) from can cuarassa track this morning - there were several whinchats, and 2 redstarts so obviously some migrants in - also great views of nightingale. this afternoon look at Tucan Marsh behind Lidl in Alcudia produced little bird wise but few Red Veined Darters and also had what must be Vargant Emperor - need to consult text) as largish hawker with all dark abdomen but bright blue first segment!

Planning to go to Cuber next couple of days - has anyone seen Moltonis this year or is it definitely too early?
Chris

Report must be quite brief tonight as my wife has one of her almost constant migraines and her ME is bad too. To Deia this morning but little of note on the journey. Deia is a nightmare to find a parking space but I eventually did and we walked down to the Cala, hearing Chaffinch and seeing Blue Tit on the way. At the Cala nothing much untill a lone swift spp appeared, going in and out of a cave. With prolonged views I am 99 per cent sure it was a Pallid. As we started back up the long hill to the village a Scops Owl gave a few notes from scrub near the bottom car park. I dont suppose many birders stay in Deia judging by the prices of houses but still interesting like the day calling one at Raixa this time last year. On the way back over the road at Palmanyola there was a Red Kite but the one at Binissalem was missing. Hugh Matthews

Five bee-eaters west over Porto Pollenca just now. Garden list includes female redstart plus usual cast of serin, firecrest, Sardinian warbler, greenfinch, goldfinch, blackbird, blackcap, woodpigeon, collared dove. Cisticolas zitting across the road and pair of booted eagles over on hillside to the north.

C'an Cuarrassa this morning: 5+ Spotless Starlings, 2 Whinchats, 3 iberiae Yellow Wagtails, Nightingale etc.

Albufereta: 4 Stone Curlews, 2 Purple Herons, 3 Ruff, 1 Redstart, 1 Pied Flycatcher, 1 Purple Swamphen, ST Lark & a Common Starling sat alongside 2 Spotless Starlings.

Groups of 3 and 10 Bee-eaters over the north of Pollensa this afternoon.

had a great morning in the mountains today - drove up to Cuber fairly early to avoid majority of cyclists. Thought I was too early date-wise for Moltonis Warbler but about 0930 had really good views of one next to the track about two-thirds of the way to the dam ( got photos that i will post when I'm home as on SLR and no card reader). It was a bit skulking but first detected it by the 'wren' call it kept giving. Also a male Pied Fly and Crossbills there.

Then parked at Mortix and did a 2 hour plus walk through the valley, past the vineyard and 'Refugi hut' towards the sea - highlight was 2 Bonellis Eagles overhead ( again got some reasonable photos) but also 2 Black Kite, Black Vultures and quite a few migrants in the scrub by the stream and woods near sea ; wood warbler , 4 Pied Fly, 3 Redstart and lots of blackcaps. Also had a snake across the path that I think was a viperine snake - will investigate online. Chris
PS My poss. vagrant emperor yesterday at Albufera was actually a Lesser Emperor ( according to others on twitter with better dragonfly knowledge than I)

Then parked at Mortix and did a 2 hour plus walk through the valley, past the vineyard and 'Refugi hut' towards the sea - highlight was 2 Bonellis Eagles overhead ( again got some reasonable photos) but also 2 Black Kite, Black Vultures and quite a few migrants in the scrub by the stream and woods near sea ; wood warbler , 4 Pied Fly, 3 Redstart and lots of blackcaps. Also had a snake across the path that I think was a viperine snake - will investigate online.

Hi Chris,

Sounds like a great day! We're planning Cuber on Saturday, but interested in the walk you mentioned from Mortitx. Did you park actually at the vineyard itself? Or is there a better place?

Temminck's at s'Albufera

We were at s'Albufera yesterday and during the morning saw what I think was a lone Temminck's Stint in Es Cibollar I. There were many other waders around, but this seemed to be the only one of its kind. Anyone else been there in the last few days and noticed it? I'm attaching pics (from video footage so not ideal) in case anyone has any thoughts... Are Temminck's likely? I've never seen one in Mallorca before...

Attachments

• Temmincks 1.jpg
    Temmincks 1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Temmincks 2.jpg
    Temmincks 2.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 97
Temmincks are certainly seen on the island - there were 4 last Wednesday at Albufera. Went back there today with a much earlier start and calm weather, with great results. Just 50 metres from the entrance gate on the other side of the Gran Canal a Little Bittern was skulking in reeds, and later saw a pair posing not far from Es Cibollar 1. Moustached Warblers were singing, plus a loud and bold GRWarbler by the pond near the mound. At ES C 1 the wader selection was good again, this time with Little Stints as a bonus. 4 Garganey and a Marbled Teal were visible, and Purple Herons were in the air. A Common Tern dropped in briefly. Then back to Can Cuarassa where I saw one of the Whinchats on fence posts left of the inland track. A cycle ride round the Llenaire Road area picked up a pair of Thekla Larks in a ploughed field on Cami Volantina, and the Osprey showed well in the air. Finally it was great to meet Senor Manchado at La Gola first thing in the morning where a hirundine flock of mainly Swallows allowed me to pick up Sand Martin for the trip list.
Lastly for long term followers of this thread you will be pleased to here that Blue Tit is still at the 5 star Hotel Llenaire!

Scops Owl once again calling in Pollensa tonight, and this time we were able to see it briefly. I've attached a map of where it favours (marked with a red line) for anyone interested.

Jonny

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 122
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back