• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruppell's Vulture (1 Viewer)

awhitehead2011

Hi again,
Not much action on my previous post...never mind! I wondered if anyone out there has any current information on sites for Ruppell's Vulture in Southern Spain?

Cheers Alan

As regular readers will recall I had a devil of a time catching up with Ruppells Vulture in Spain. The best place to look for news about this species (and all Spanish rarities) is http://www.rarebirdspain.net/home.htm. Careful scrolling through will give you a good idea of the peak periods when they occur. The Tarifa area gets most records, but this may reflect the concentration of birders as much as that of the birds themselves. Most records come from August and September (although I think they run into October when Griffon numbers peak). However, there are reports dotted throughout the year (with, as I recall, a much smaller 'peak' in May). If you plan to head down to Spain to look for them PM me for my notes on the area which should be of some help. Unless you have one pinned down & regularly visiting a feeding site (which for some strange reasons the authorities don't publicise too well), you could spend a lot of time scanning through a lot of vultures without much luck,

Last edited:
The best place to look for news about this species (and all Spanish rarities) is http://www.rarebirdspain.net/home.htm.

Tut, tut John if you followed my posts on the Serrania de Ronda you would have read I had one this week up near to Acinipo (Old Ronda)! The trouble I think with your link is the number of reports tend to concentrate on autumn records rather than the 'now' for this species.

Peter

Tut, tut John if you followed my posts on the Serrania de Ronda you would have read I had one this week up near to Acinipo (Old Ronda)! The trouble I think with your link is the number of reports tend to concentrate on autumn records rather than the 'now' for this species.

Peter

I do and I did, but that link had already been given! I'm sure that the rare Birds in Spain site will feature whatever reports that it gets of this species, but I do tend to agree that there is a bias as you suggest. However, it'd be daft not to look as reports outside this 'typical' period do appear,

John
PS - Off to Canada in 6 days where I stand to get several lifers .... but part of me still wishes I was off to Spain this Easter!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back