• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (2 Viewers)

Jeff, I got my Green Kingfisher during a February 1996 Texas birding trip. I saw a pair flying up and down the Rio Grande River at Salineño, Texas

Just got back from an overnight trip to Delaware, where I dipped on my target, Razorbill, which would have been a lifer. However, I did add nine species to my Year List, which is now up to 129.

121. Fish Crow
122. Boat-tailed Grackle
123. Long-tailed Duck
124. Red-throated Loon
125. Northern Gannet
126. Surf Scoter
127. Ruddy Turnstone
128. Laughing Gull
129. American Oystercatcher

Dave

104. Red-breasted Merganser, a lone male on lake at Rosecrans Airport, Saint Joseph, Missouri
105. Wilson's Snipe, on Nelson Road slough, Saint Joseph, Missouri
106. American Golden-Plover, on shoreline of Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri

Today was the first day that really felt like spring. It was sunny and warm, the grass is starting to turn green, daffodils are in bloom, and phoebes are back and calling.

130. Eastern Phoebe

Dave

Sunday, March 11

Things are picking up here - finally some spring migrants have shown themselves. I am particularly happy to be hearing Song Sparrows again - this is one of the the best signs in our part of Canada that winter is definitely on its way out, and we can relax a bit.

The Merlin was another very pleasant surprise; but then, they have become so much easier to find in the last few years, thanks to a general recovery of the species.

6) House Finch
7) Black-capped Chickadee
8) Mallard
9) Ring-billed Gull
10) Red-winged Blackbird
11) Song Sparrow
12) Merlin

I do not get this next species very often, so when I do I consider myself quite fortunate!

107. Smith's Longspur (x 100), picking around in a harvested corn field just south of Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Now up to 132 for the year with another early migrant. I heard one two days ago, but just saw my first today.

132. Chipping Sparrow

Dave

Sunny and 70 degree F today! Nice.

108. Brewer's Blackbird, around Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri
109. Pectoral Sandpiper, around Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri
110. Eastern Phoebe, around a bridge over Contrary Creek, Saint Joseph, Missouri

* This morning the Smith's Longspurs were picking around in the harvested corn fields in the same location they were in yesterday. Of course, there is no way to tell if they were the same flock or a new flock passing through the area! There appeared to be about the same number of them as yesterday though (~100).

Tuesday, March 13

Another stunningly warm day here in southern Ontario - about 16º this evening when I went out (4º would be about average). This is really pushing certain species up here for us, and making some of the birds that are here already (e.g. Am. Robins) much more active.

13) European Starling
14) Mourning Dove
15) Turkey Vulture
16) Common Grackle

today in West Cornwall:

155. Wheatear
156. Chough
157. Scaup

Wheatear is my first proper spring migrant this year, not including the Swallow back in January.

Friday, March 16

I really seem to have already "picked all the low-hanging fruit" around my neighbourhood - at least until spring migration gets underway in earnest. Just one new one yesterday.

17). Dark-eyed Junco

Our trip to the Texas hill country didn't add as many birds as I'd hoped for. Still, the following were new for the year:
157. Verdin
158. Solitary Sandpiper
159. Ladder-backed Woodpecker
160. Golden-fronted Woodpecker
161. Red-eyed Vireo
162. Black-throated Sparrow
163. Rufous-crowned Sparrow
164. Spotted Towhee
165. Black-crested Titmouse
166. Curve-billed Thrasher
167. Cinnamon Teal
168. Wilson's Snipe
169. Black-chinned Hummingbird
170. Lesser Goldfinch
171. Bufflehead

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Sunday, March 19

18) Blue Jay
19)
Pine Siskin
20) Downy Woodpecker
21) Killdeer
22) Red-tailed Hawk
23) Cooper’s Hawk

First time I have ever kept a year list, and quite pleased so far, with 88 species of which 86 are UK sightings.... But then I look at some of the more seasoned listers, and realise what an amateur I am! As I don't unfortunately have the time to dedicate days or half days out birding, I have been picking up sightings from the odd 15 minutes here and there, and from a few trips out on my bike. TBH, I had not really thought about how many species I commonly see, and keeping a count has been an eye-opener.

One question: what are others' opinions on counting unseen birds? I have heard my first chiffchaff this week, but did not see it, so wonder if I can add this to my year list... and then have just heard a GS woodpecker calling and drumming from my home-office window, but again not seen, but wonder if I can add to my garden list....?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back