• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Never realised birdwatching would be like this. (1 Viewer)

Ronald Zee

Some time ago I posted some of my experiences while birdwatching, but these were lost during the big crash. Now last week I had 2 more funny/outrageous experiences and this prompted me to repost some of my experiences.

Once when I was watching a young Coot an elderly couple came up to me and asked me what I was looking at, they said they often saw me. I told them I was watching the progress of the young Coots. The woman then said: “Oh now I understand, you are a biologist”

Another time, when I was filming some Moorhens, a guy who was painting saw me and asked if I was (like himself) an artist because he also took pictures sometimes and used these at home to help with his paintings etc.

When I was filming some Moorhens at a lake, a guy, on a boat that was moored there, suddenly started swearing at me, I didn't know why, until he told me, he suspected me of filming his 3 year old son, he accused me of being a pedophile. When I showed him what I had filmed he apologised.

Three times I have been stopped by the police while I was birdwatching and had to explain what I was doing. The third time I was stopped by 2 police cars, this was in one of the posh neighbourhoods of Rotterdam, one of the policemen said to me that in future I should wear a suit if I came birdwatching again there.

Another time when I didn’t see the Moorhens I had come to see I whistled, they knew they would get some bread when I whistled. A woman then came up to me and asked me if I was looking for my dog.

On a Sunday afternoon near a little canal a Moroccan guy came up to me and asked if I wanted to make love, I said no, but he persisted and then I told him to piss off, he then left.

I also did pass the body of a dead woman in the reeds without noticing her because I was to busy looking at the birds.

When I was giving a bit of bread to birds in a river a young guy (a student) came up to me and said that he (also) saw me regularly, he then said that he could not understand that I fed the birds because I wore a Ralph Lauren coat, according to him “People who wear these kind of coats shouldn’t feed birds”

I was watching the birds in a river when a man started talking to me in an unknown language. I first tried Dutch, then English, French and German but he could not speak any of these, so the only thing left to do was smile at him and nod my head.

As you can only do so for a minute or so I left or wanted to leave because he suddenly grabbed my arm and stopped me. He then took something from his pocket and thrusted it in my hand. I saw that he had given me his passport and he urged me to open it.

It turned out that he came from Iran, so I said " Ah Iran" (what else is there to say) and he nodded his head, so I also nodded my head again (several times) and smiled to him again. I then returned his passport and said goodbye to him.

Last Sunday I gave some bread to young Coots and young Mallards in a pond next to a church. When a bit later I turned around I saw a bald stately looking man, he was dressed in black and carried a bible, he smiled, then raised his hand and said “God loves you”. Now I know that HE loves me but it is nice to have it confirmed by an insider.

Yesterday I was (again) in one of the “better” neighbourhoods, I stopped to have a look at the Moorhens in a ditch, suddenly a movement caught my eye, when I looked up I saw a sexual act (shamelessly) being performed in front of a large window on the first floor of the appartments about 20 metres away from me. I watched it only for about 15 seconds or so because, strange as it may seem, I felt like an intruder.

Last edited:
Ronald Zee said:
The woman then said: “Oh now I understand, you are a biologist”
That's a LOT better than we get Ronald......we get called twitchers over here...even if we are just watching sparrows or pigeons! I just smile and let it go now as folk don't understand the difference and I can't be bothered most of the time to explain the difference! They probably wouldn't believe me anyway....I have binoculars and a scope, therefore i AM a twitcher!!! LOL

When I was filming some Moorhens at a lake, a guy, on a boat that was moored there, suddenly started swearing at me, I didn't know why, until he told me, he suspected me of filming his 3 year old son, he accused me of being a pedophile. When I showed him what I had filmed he apologised.
I CAN understand that being a problem which, I imagine, quite a few men have to be careful of....it's not so bad for me as female birders tend to be classed as harmless. ;)

On a Sunday afternoon near a little canal a Moroccan guy came up to me and asked if I wanted to make love, I said no, but he persisted and then I told him to piss off, he then left.
Yep....had that myself over the years - and my response is rather close to yours!!! ;)

I also did pass the body of a dead woman in the reeds without noticing her because I was to busy looking at the birds.
So what...you're a birder not Hercule Poirot! ;) If it's any consolation Ronald, I'd probably do the same as I often completely miss stuff which is right under my nose! And birds are far more interesting!

I watched it only for about 15 seconds or so because, strange as it may seem, I felt like an intruder.
LOL 15 seconds!!!! That's ages :eek!: ;) ;)

I do love hearing about your birding exploits....you DO make me laugh! :clap: You really MUST publish them in a book LOL

GILL

tom mckinney said:
Priceless Ronald!

I wish birding in the UK was as exciting!

Depends where you go Tom. I recall approaching a hide at Stockers Lake which had two ways to it, and I was entering from the oblique side. I was almost in the hide when I saw the unclothed couple in the heat of passion. This was late afternoon, certainly in summer to be doing that.

I didn't give it 15 seconds...

"Three times I have been stopped by the police while I was birdwatching and had to explain what I was doing. The third time I was stopped by 2 police cars, this was in one of the posh neighbourhoods of Rotterdam, one of the policemen said to me that in future I should wear a suit if I came birdwatching again there."

Had that happen to me in Banchory. Was watching Hawfinches in an affluent area. Had already went into the local police station to report my intentions prior to doing so. After about half an hour, an area car with 2 officers slowly drove past, then again, and on the third time stopped and asked if they could help. I asked them if the had binoculars, or a scope or just good eyesight. I also mentioned that good hearing would also be helpful, as the calls are an indicator of position. Then I did state that considering that I had reported my intentions at the police station, no one seemed to listen, as if they had, the police would not be wasting their time talking to me. So hearing seemed to be a problem.

"Another time when I didn’t see the Moorhens I had come to see I whistled, they knew they would get some bread when I whistled. A woman then came up to me and asked me if I was looking for my dog."

She maybe thought you had a "bird-dog".

"On a Sunday afternoon near a little canal a Moroccan guy came up to me and asked if I wanted to make love, I said no, but he persisted and then I told him to piss off, he then left."

Come on, "make love", have sex. Perhaps you should have asked him how much he was willing to pay?? ;)

"I also did pass the body of a dead woman in the reeds without noticing her because I was to busy looking at the birds."

If she had moved, I bet you would have noticed ;)

"he then said that he could not understand that I fed the birds because I wore a Ralph Lauren coat, according to him “People who wear these kind of coats shouldn’t feed birds”"

Seems that these garments are not impervious to bird poop!! :news:

"I was watching the birds in a river when a man started talking to me in an unknown language. I first tried Dutch, then English, French and German but he could not speak any of these, so the only thing left to do was smile at him and nod my head."

Lucky he was not a Moroccan looking for sex, and you nodding!! :eek!: :eek!:

"Last Sunday I gave some bread to young Coots and young Mallards in a pond next to a church. When a bit later I turned around I saw a bald stately looking man, he was dressed in black and carried a bible, he smiled, then raised his hand and said “God loves you”. Now I know that HE loves me but it is nice to have it confirmed by an insider."

Another angel in the making. o:)

"Yesterday I was (again) in one of the “better” neighbourhoods, I stopped to have a look at the Moorhens in a ditch, suddenly a movement caught my eye, when I looked up I saw a sexual act (shamelessly) being performed in front of a large window on the first floor of the apartments about 20 metres away from me. I watched it only for about 15 seconds or so because, strange as it may seem, I felt like an intruder."

"20 metres" I would have been 20 centimetres. :bounce:

I have the camera loaded. Please supply the address. Voyeuristic film is worth a fortune. New scope, new bins, see what you missed out on!! :news:

15 seconds!! The guy must have some stamina. :clap: :clap:

Regards

Malky

I've really enjoyed reading these scenarios. I kind of wish that my future birding will bring such events that i can look back on and laugh, although maybe not as far as being accused of being a paedo ;) .

Actually, it seems as though birding is giving you a heap of bother: being accused of being a paedo, having the police on your back, and stumbling across things you shouldn't. Would have been hilarious if the couple saw you!

Mark

Three times I have been stopped by the police while I was birdwatching and had to explain what I was doing.

Didn't the bins and scope give them a bit of a clue :)

To all

I do all of my birdwatching in town and as I have long hair this seems to a lot of people uncomprehensible. Apart from people passing by making Ducklike noises, Moroccon boys asking me if I am Homosexual, people laughing at me, getting into a fight once etc, I actually also do meet nice people and I had all those experiences recounted above.

As I do not care what other people think of me I keep on birdwatching in town with a lot of pleasure. I had a lot of fun when most of the things posted above happened. As I am in town I rarely take my binoculars with me, so when I was watching birds in a pond people in the houses opposite thought I was watching their houses with the intent of breaking in later that night, that's why 2 police cars were sent.

The sexual act I saw was not a couple, it was something quite outrageous.

Ronald Zee said:
I do all of my birdwatching in town and as I have long hair this seems to a lot of people uncomprehensible.
Don't worry about them, I think it's true to say that of all the birders I have met, not one of them has a decent hair cut, myself included.
You have an hour or so to spare, do you get your hair cut or do you go birding, no contest.

Mick

I can't imagine walking right past a dead woman! :eek!:

When my husband and I go out birding with our cameras and tripods, we often get asked what magazine we work for! One couple assumed we were National Goegraphic photographers. :bounce:

Now, that would be wonderful if our photos were good enough for Nat Geo!

Dear Ronald

Yesterday while chasing shorebirds at boat harbour in Sydney I scored 2 ticks. The first was a mongolian plover in breeding plumage and very pretty it was too.

The second occured when my wife and I were returning to the car via the coastline.

We rounded a bend of the rocky shoreline and stopped to look at some sooty oystercatchers when I noticed 3 people up ahead with tripods out. I lifted the bins to see if they were birders but the older male was a photographer and the younger blonde
was his assistant and the brunette was stark naked.(and very very pretty she was too)

It appears we had stumbled into a photoshoot for a mens magazine.

Birdee said:

Hi Birdee

It wasn't as bad as that. The body was found in a reedbed that I passed everyday on my way to work. Often I looked in it from a small bridge next to it but that morning when I was there I did see the birds in the open water, so there was no need to look.

Raymondjohn

Several years ago I was in a local park early on a Saturday morning, when I rounded a bend I suddenly saw a guy taking pictures of a girl dressed only in a tanga slip, when they saw me the girl hastily put on a coat.

Dear Ronald

I have also had a similiar experience to you regarding being a murder suspect.

About 2 years ago I was birding in some bushland behind a primary school which incidentally I went to school at many years ago. I came to a clearing to find 3 police cars and a small crowd. An officer approached me asked for my ID and started questioning me. Only after 15 minutes of questions did he tell me that a body of a drug dealer had been found in the bush.

Bird watching can have its more interesting moments.

Nothing quite as dramatic as dead bodies and propositions, but I did get a bit of a start the other day when I came round a bend in the trail to see a tom turkey standing on the path in front of me. Just as I was starting to clue in that it looked just a bit too rubbery, the hunter called out to me. He seemed like a nice guy, out hunting with his daughter, and wasn't upset by me spoiling his hunt, but I did feel a bit foolish, and strangely, as though I had been "caught".

Scott

Birdee said:

I did the same thing a few years back. Someone decided to dump a murder victim on Spurn, and I discovered afterwards that I'd walked within a few yards of the body the day before it was found.

Wow.. this is pretty interesting.. I am new here
so. wonder what will come to me in my birdwatching travels. Now, I shall be prepared.. My clothes will not be fancy when going out just old pants and jacket.

I saw that word "twitcher" somewhere before
and will have to look this up..

Myself, I am interested in any of nature,
pigeons, whatever.. I just observe. In the
birding world.. is there something wrong with this?
Needless to say, I love to be way out in nature, but
on city streets, there are so many. Also, in captivity, have seen some beautiful
pigeons.

:eek!:

Egret

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back