• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird tag question (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fa22raptor

hi all, this might be a rather odd question but a local cat has slaughtered a bird in my backyard and it has a tag around its leg, how would i find out if this tag has any signifigance? not sure what type of bird is but looks similiar to a seagull i think??band number is light blue and reads AU SFR 2005 0737 and it has a pink band on its other leg.

pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
pic 5
pic 6
pic 7
pic 8

Last edited:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

It's a pity that this poor bird was done in by a cat. By all means take a closeup shot of the bands. Not sure if it is an Australian banded bird or not but hopefully someone familiar with the coding will know for sure. Please get those photos and a photo of the bird as well so we know what kind of bird we are dealing with.

Hi, fa22raptor, and another warm welcome to you from BirdForum!

This is a racing pigeon -- the AU stands for American Racing Pigeon Union. These birds should not be reported to the Bird Banding Laboratory but instead to the ARPU if you want. Sorry, don't have the URL for them but I'm sure it can be googled.

The pink band on the other leg means that bird was actually in a race. These rubber rings are used to register the time it arrives. I don't think it won...

Sorry, folks, no further discussion of racing pigeons on BirdForum. I first mentioned it in relation to the colored bands found on the thread-starter's attached photos. All other discussion needs to be done via private email or on another site. :t:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back