• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonflies (Sweden) (1 Viewer)

Pete007

Being unfamiliar with the Dragonfly species of Sweden I would appreciate a little help or feedback on the ID of the following -
1/ very much looks like a female Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) but 2nd opinion appreciated.
2/ Looks similar to a male Downy emerald but appears to lack the yellowish base to the wings shown in my ID guide.
3/ Female Red-eyed Damselfly ( Erythromma najas) ?
4/ Not familiar with Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum) so feedback appreciated.
5/ Looks similar to Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) but any feedback one again appreciated.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Dfly 1.jpg
    Dfly 1.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Dfly 2.jpg
    Dfly 2.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 53
  • Dfly 3.jpg
    Dfly 3.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 48
  • Dfly 4.jpg
    Dfly 4.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Dfly 5.jpg
    Dfly 5.jpg
    694.8 KB · Views: 66
5) is Coenagrion hastulatum.

The others IDs look OK to me (Editted) except that 3 is an immature male rather than a female.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Paul, much appreciated. Be grateful to know what distinguishes Coenagrion hastulatum from Enallagma cyathigerum in the photo as not really familiar with the former.

5) is Coenagrion hastulatum.

The others IDs look OK to me (Editted) except that 3 is an immature male rather than a female.

Hi Paul, just querying Coenagrion hastulatum as I understood that this was only found in the Scottish Highlands in the UK, although I must admit it does look like one?

Shane

Edit: Ignore this Paul, just re-read OP and realised it's Sweden!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Paul, much appreciated. Be grateful to know what distinguishes Coenagrion hastulatum from Enallagma cyathigerum in the photo as not really familiar with the former.

Starting at the head and working downwards....

1) Rear edge of the pronotum triangular rather than a straightish line
2) Thin rather than broad blue antehumeral stripes
3) S2 more of a spearhead than a mushroom shape (these can be variable in both) plus you can just see the 2 black lines above the spearhead on the sides of S2
4) S3 and S4 have much more black in hastulatum than in Enallagma.

HTH

Paul

Many Thanks Paul - most helpful

Starting at the head and working downwards....

1) Rear edge of the pronotum triangular rather than a straightish line
2) Thin rather than broad blue antehumeral stripes
3) S2 more of a spearhead than a mushroom shape (these can be variable in both) plus you can just see the 2 black lines above the spearhead on the sides of S2
4) S3 and S4 have much more black in hastulatum than in Enallagma.

HTH

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back