• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips For Filming Birds (1 Viewer)

Ash1456

As some of you may know I am spending next week at Lake Vyrnwy, Wales. I want to do some filming with a Sony HVR-HD1000U. I will also be visiting Gigrin Farm (Welsh Kite Farm). Does anyone have any tips?

Should I use a tripod?

Where should I put the mic, I have a Rode Boom, should I use this?

Should I use Manual focus or Auto focus?

Also has anyone had any experience of filming the Red Kites?
Thanks
Ash:t:

Hello,

I have only small camcorder ( Sony HC-DCR 1000 ).
Mostly I take movies in forests, bushes and so on.
So it is important to react very quick. Set up tripod will be to slow.
In open areas like lakes it would be different, especially if You look for ducks which are farer away.
My camcorder has only 12 x lens. It is just ok for movies without tripod.
If You use 20 x or 2 x converter and so on. Monopod or tripod will be needed.

Best regards
Dieter

You should, if possible, ALWAYS use a tripod for video work. There is nothing more annoying than a picture waving about all over the screen, even at minimum zoom.
I have two camcorders. As a retired full time wedding videographer, for which I used a Sony VX1000. Which is quite large, by todays mini camcorder standards. It has excellent picture quality & sound, but only a 20x zoom. So I recently bought a Sony DCR-HC51. Mainly because it had a 40x zoom.But also because it used MiniDV tapes, as did the VX1000. And since I had hundreds lying about from old weddings. It seemed the logical choice.
I find the mini HC51 almost impossible to use without a tripod. Even a monopod is not entirely satisfactory. Below, is a short video, shot in my local park (nothing special) of which most was filmed on a tripod, except for the last few shots which were hand held. I thgink that you will immediately see the difference.

You should, if possible, ALWAYS use a tripod for video work. There is nothing more annoying than a picture waving about all over the screen, even at minimum zoom.
I have two camcorders. As a retired full time wedding videographer, for which I used a Sony VX1000. Which is quite large, by todays mini camcorder standards. It has excellent picture quality & sound, but only a 20x zoom. So I recently bought a Sony DCR-HC51. Mainly because it had a 40x zoom.But also because it used MiniDV tapes, as did the VX1000. And since I had hundreds lying about from old weddings. It seemed the logical choice.
I find the mini HC51 almost impossible to use without a tripod. Even a monopod is not entirely satisfactory. Below, is a short video, shot in my local park (nothing special) of which most was filmed on a tripod, except for the last few shots which were hand held. I thgink that you will immediately see the difference."

I agree about a tripod when possible. Even with a monopod, I have trouble preventing shake.
Goldfynche, what do you think of the HC51? I have had a HC19E with a 2x converter, which gives 40x zoom, but there is some loss of quality. I've been very pleased with the camcorder, but dread the day it packs in! I really need a viewfinder, which many of them don't have these days, but I believe the HC51 has a colour one? Would be interested to know what you think, as a professional video user.

A larger, heavier camcorder will always be more stable than a tiny minicam. And the wrist strap/thumb on button on the side, is not the ideal method of holding a camcorder. Infact I have found that I could hold my HC51 a lot steadier by improvising with some sort of pistol grip. I do like the 40x times zoom though. Although I now see that you can get 70x optical zooms now, on minicams.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back