• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Weeks Birding in the UK - Advice needed (1 Viewer)

Might be better calling in at the site north of Kings Lynn for Montagues - if they are still there - anyone with any current info, its a few years since I was last there?

That'll be the Castle Rising/North Wootton area I guess. Don't think it's been much, if any, good for Monty's in recent years.

One piece of advice I would give is get chatting to the people you meet out and about once you get down there and see what current local gen you can pick up that way.

James

Just to clarify a few points:

There are no Honey Buzzards at the Wensum Valley watchpoint this year. The only sightings are from the Swanton Novers site but appearances are erratic - you could stand there for hours and not see them, or get lucky quickly, it depends on how much time you have to spare.

Pensthorpe is mainly for captive birds (wildfowl and more besides), it does have a wader scrape but personally wouldn't bother visiting as everything there can be seen elsewhere e.g Cley and Titchwell.

Not sure when you are visiting but note that from Mon 26th July the main path at Titchwell is being closed for on-going flood defence works so there will be no access to the scrapes.

There are no Monties at the site north of Kings Lynn, there is one site in Norfolk but unfortunately its location can't be specified on an open forum. The bird referred to at Minsmere was just a passage bird that is no longer present.

You'll be hard pushed to see Nightingale now that they have stopped singing, although you may stumble upon one, again it depends how much time you have available to look. Nightjars are still churring at present so you'll hopefully be in luck with them as long as you've got a specific site lined up. Woodlarks in the Brecks but again you'll need specific site as to not waste too much time looking for them.

If you do want to go to Blakeney Point for the seals and terns, as mentioned earlier, you'll need to go by boat from Morston Quay. Trips are only at high water so you'll need to check sailing times to tie in with when you'll be in the area. Common, Sandwich and Little Terns can all be seen around Cley. No Roseates and you'll have to be very lucky to pick out an Arctic.

Med Gulls can be encountered at either Cley or Titchwell but usually just drop in for a while. Cetti's Warblers can be encountered at both sites too and wader numbers are building up at the moment e.g Wood Sands and Little Stints etc have started to pass through plus the usual Norfolk 'specialities' Avocet, Bittern, Bearded Tit, Marsh Harrier etc.

On the rarity/scarce front there is currently a Ferruginous Duck at Minsmere, Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Titchwell, and also there are 11 Spoonbills at Cley. No Quails around at present I'm afraid.

Lakenheath is worth a visit, good for Bittern and Hobby, but as already mentioned you could be in for a wait for anything else there (i.e Golden Orioles, Cranes).

As James said your best bet is to grill a few locals when you are up here to get some up to date info with specific sites and directions otherwise you could waste a lot of time looking for species that are either not present or take time and a lot of luck in seeing, especially without good gen.

Hope this helps, and didn't sound too negative in places! If you've never been Norfolk is an excellent destination with lots on offer and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Simon

Got back from my trip today. I spent a few days out there. I visited Minsmere, Dunwich, Lakenheath, Thetford forest, Weeting Heath and a short trip to Well on Sea or whatever its called.

Out of this list which birds do you think I saw considering time limits i had ? I am not a twitcher and not the most experienced birdwatcher.

3. Cetti’s warbler

4. Cirl bunting

5. Corncrake

6. Dartford warbler

8. Fire crest

9. Garden warbler

10. Garganey

11. Hawfinch

13. Montagu’s Harrier

14. Nightjar

15. Nightingale

16. Red-crested pochard

17. Roseatte tern

18. Sandwich tern

19. Serin

22. Wryneck

23. Stone curlew

24. Hobby

25. Wood Warbler

26. Lesser Whitethroat

27. Turtle Dove

I managed to go to Minsmere and had a quick look around. The only bird of note was a Ferruginious Duck. I have never seen one before. There were the usual Marsh Harriers, Grey Heron, Gulls except Med Gull which is the one I wanted to see, Coot, Mallard, Avocet, Lapwing. I did manage to see Sandwich Terns there which I had listed. Got some good glimpses of a Whitethroat too.

Then went to Westleton Common and saw 5 Dartford Warblers! Saw them very easily.

Next day I drove on to Lakenheath and got some better views of Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler and Reed Warbler. There was a Garganey present but did not manage to see it.

Where are the best places in the south and well northern england to see Garganey?

There were a few Golden Orioles around but I did not bother about them because I have seen them abroad.

2 birders I had spoken to earlier came over to the Joist Fen View point and said they had seen 3 Cranes and showed me a photo of 1 taken just now. I ran over to that side for 2 hours waited for Cranes to show but none although a Turtle Dove flew over! Luckily I managed to see a Cetti's Warbler and Nightingale. I met some birders later on and they confirmed they had seen the Cranes near the same spot later so I decided to come back tomorrow morning. I was disappointed as no hobby flew past even. I forgot to mention that I did see a Bittern though. Others had seen 4 - a pairwith 4chicks.

Went on to Weeting Heath later and waited for 90 minutes. Waited at the West Hide for 1 hour. We heard the birds call but no show. Then we went onto the East Hide. After 15 minutes ispotted them and alerted the other birders present. A pair with a chick! Did not get close views but we knew it was them.

Went around Thetford Forest at Dusk. As it grew darker the alien noises started. There were a few Nightjars calling but sadly none showed. Although I will never forget standing there in a forest clearing with that haunting noise. It started off low but then louder and louder and then it faded. Driving along the road I got a big surprise in a smaller package - 2 Muntjac crossed the road! I have never seen them before.

Next day I came back to Lakenheath and got a my best ever view of a Whiethroat - shame I had no video camera! As I walked up to Joist Fen view point i saw a Hobby fly over. Good start already.

At the viewpoint were 2 RSPB wardens I told them about the Cranes. They were on the look out for Bitterns. I looked and looked through the bins hoping to see the Cranes then I started looking in a different direction. Not long before the RSPB warden spotted them. When I got there they were out of view in the tall vegetation. I missed them by 2 minute yesterday and by 3 seconds today I thought. Then one popped the head back up! I always thought they would walk around the more open areas of the reed bed or lake margins yet these were right in the heart of deep vegetation.

I moved onto Norfolk coastline and stopped at Wells-on-sea for a few hours. I managed to see some Little Tern there.

I did notvisit the Cley Marshes but drove past them. I did not go to Blakeney Point too. I decided to leave them for another day.

I saw 1 Buzzard there. The colonisation has yet to take place fully I guess.

What is Norfolk and Suffolk like in winter?

COLD but perhaps even better!!!

Some good stuff there!

You been to Fuishmoor res nr Blackburn for the winter gull roost? Often turns up some goodies

Cheers

Dave

PS Yellow Legged Gull on Blackpool beach yesterday...probably easier at Fishmoor though.

I've only been once in winter but found it incredible. Vast flocks of geese, ducks and golden plovers, lots of gorgeous Snow Buntings and Barn Owls hunting all over the place. Bloomin' cold and windy, mind you! :-O

Attachments

• barn owl.jpg
    barn owl.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 40
  • brent geese.jpg
    brent geese.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 45
  • golden plovers.jpg
    golden plovers.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 37
  • golden plover flock.jpg
    golden plover flock.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 41
  • snow bunting.jpg
    snow bunting.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 35

COLD but perhaps even better!!!

Some good stuff there!

You been to Fuishmoor res nr Blackburn for the winter gull roost? Often turns up some goodies

Cheers

Dave

PS Yellow Legged Gull on Blackpool beach yesterday...probably easier at Fishmoor though.

i know where it is and hope to spend soemtime there this autumn!

I've only been once in winter but found it incredible. Vast flocks of geese, ducks and golden plovers, lots of gorgeous Snow Buntings and Barn Owls hunting all over the place. Bloomin' cold and windy, mind you! :-O

Which goose and wader species winter in Norfolk?

Norfolk cant be cold as East Lancs right?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back