• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldfare. Very Very Urgent (now resolved as Mistle Thrush) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emergency code red urgent quick help me!

I ve just seen a flock of pigeons, showing characteristics of wood, in September, anyone got the presidents number, we must inform the CIA, they ve only been seen in Essex 46 million times! (only playing Mark, dont get upset:eat:!)

Just wondering whether I should be more excited about these Ivy Bees that I have been seeing around Torbay ;)o:)B :)

Then how the heck do you think I feel knowing its true?!!! ~and not getting anywhere with the confounded situation.... yet. Good thing I have a sense of humour otherwise I'd have shot myself in the head with frustration before now. Regs. M

It was surreal because we all knew that they were Fieldfares, yet despite asking advice on here the finder refused to accept our comments! In my experience flocks of Fieldfares before the end of September = Mistle Thrushes!!

WTF...??????????????????????????? Brilliant! Who were these 3 experienced birders...?? Name and shame! ;)

Last edited:
Whilst I read the posts as this unfolded and thought they were probably Mistle Thrushes I am not sure why people feel the need to take the razz afterwards.

Misidentifications happen. Someone came here with enthusiasm about their sightings but wanted them verified - surely we should be encouraging that even if we wouldn't share their priorities at that point in time?

Stephen.

Stephen

I would normally agree with you 100% - but when you read "As detailed, the species is beyond question, having been identified by three experienced birders ~these are definately not mistle thrush", I think you can expect a little humour to creep in!

David

Stephen

I would normally agree with you 100% - but when you read "As detailed, the species is beyond question, having been identified by three experienced birders ~these are definately not mistle thrush", I think you can expect a little humour to creep in!

David

Fair comment David. I do think though there is a general tendency to sneer at people for making mistakes whilst complaining bitterly if news doesn't get out promptly. We can't have it both ways as nobody is perfect.

If I followed up 100 questionable reports locally and one was confirmation of a rare breeding species or a good vagrant I think my time would have been well spent.

Last edited:
Whilst I read the posts as this unfolded and thought they were probably Mistle Thrushes I am not sure why people feel the need to take the razz afterwards.

Misidentifications happen. Someone came here with enthusiasm about their sightings but wanted them verified - surely we should be encouraging that even if we wouldn't share their priorities at that point in time?

Stephen.

I agree with what DavidinParis says. Indeed, as the one who put in a friendly suggestion that the birds were indeed the species that they were later identified as, I was slightly amused when I received the following reply:

As detailed, the species is beyond question, having been identified by three experienced birders ~these are definately not mistle thrush, and are certainly the nominated species.

You occasionally find that a birder misidentifies a common species for something more unusual, but in many such cases they are really convinced of their identification and everyone else is wrong, as with this case.

Anyway, I hope that there is no hard feeling, Mark. As well as being interested in birds, there are lots of people on the forum with lively senses of humour. It doesn't do to be too serious!

Allen

Last edited:
I don't want to re-ignite this but I am almost certain that I saw a group of Fieldfares in July 2008 in fields near St Keyne in Cornwall. I thought it unusual but a quick check of my Collins guide stated that they are rare, localised breeders in the UK. I assumed I had been lucky enough to discover one of those local sites.

The debate on here indicates that this would be unknown in Cornwall and I now wish I had paid more attention. Although a casual birdwatcher I have lived in various parts of the UK and have seen plenty of Mistle Thrushes and Fieldfares and thought I could easily differentiate the two. I was pretty surprised how three experienced birders could have been confused to be honest. Might pop out to St Keyne tomorrow

Barry

I don't want to re-ignite this but I am almost certain that I saw a group of Fieldfares in July 2008 in fields near St Keyne in Cornwall. I thought it unusual but a quick check of my Collins guide stated that they are rare, localised breeders in the UK. I assumed I had been lucky enough to discover one of those local sites.

The debate on here indicates that this would be unknown in Cornwall and I now wish I had paid more attention. Although a casual birdwatcher I have lived in various parts of the UK and have seen plenty of Mistle Thrushes and Fieldfares and thought I could easily differentiate the two. I was pretty surprised how three experienced birders could have been confused to be honest. Might pop out to St Keyne tomorrow

Barry

Barry,

If you are almost certain that you saw fieldfares in Cornwall in July 2008 perhaps you should keep them as possibles, unless you took photographs or a video, of course. The "three experienced birders" were not identified at all, despite a suggestion by birdboybowley earlier in the week, so that aspect of the story must remain firmly in doubt.

If you get out to St Keyne tomorrow, enjoy your trip. There should be some migrants moving through ...

Allen

i am not as experienced as other birders but i fail to see that unless an experienced birder is more than 200 yards away how they couldn't possibly tell the difference between fieldfares and mistle thrush
A novice maybe but not someone with any sort of birdwatching experience

given good enough views, it's a piece of cake. Sometimes it's difficult with flying birds when all you can see are white armpits and they're not calling, though prolonged views always sort out this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back