• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldfare. Very Very Urgent (now resolved as Mistle Thrush) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uploading Fieldfare Pics

Have tried to upload some photos of the fieldfare to the site here, but keep being told that the format is incompatable... will keep trying, and my better half, who is far more PC literate, aims to have a go in a while. Would forward video footage but its Pal8, tape type/analogue, so not sure how and if it can be done... again, will give it my best shot. The photos are in two batches; Phil brought his here 2 days ago and used the card reader to put them on the laptop, ~they were the ones I was trying to send. Gary had superior ones and has had endless probs wiring them to me... took 48 hours(!) and they arrived in the past half an hour. This latest selection of pics are superior to Phils, but his are still worth sending, asap.

Mark

Post a selection of your best images and a section of the video here (or upload some video to YouTube and send us a link). Even on poor quality pictures someone should be able to confirm your sighting. The call is diagnostic so a video where the call can be heard would be best if the pictures are poor.

SC

Then how the heck do you think I feel knowing its true?!!! ~and not getting anywhere with the confounded situation.... yet. Good thing I have a sense of humour otherwise I'd have shot myself in the head with frustration before now. Regs. M

This is all very sureal if you ask me.

It is a very and I mean very bad idea to put your phone number be it mobile or land line on the internet for it to be googled then hammered by every tele sales agency on the planet, your worries about a flock of wayward, or not wayward fieldfares will pale into insignificance when you are being bombarded by salesmen wanting to sell you everything from a timeshare in majorca to new windows for your bungalow.

Have to agree. This is the most surreal thread running at the moment! I've seen Fieldfares in west Devon in late September without getting too excited.

DiP

I'm fairly certain the original posting appeared on the Staffordshire thread - i had it on an email - and looks like it was deleted. So why would someome from Cornwall in need of extreme urgent help put (and look) on the Staffordshire thread. I'm sorry and i may be wrong, but some things on this thread just don't add up.

Agree, this is all very weird. If you have been seeing them since mid July this needs to be substantiated - STILL no photos?? you are obviously very excited by them - Fieldfares are not hard to photograph - just stick your phone on the end of your scope or even bins and post the results. Then others can see what all the fuss is about.

Cornish birders - Mistle Thrush really a rarity round your parts??

The Phone Issue...

Steve. Thanks for the advice, but this goes some way to showing my sincerity about the issue. As for what you suggest, I am a gentleman at heart, and always attempt to be at my best, but if such calls are received here, I will make the caller regret dialing the number; I am perfectly capable, when required, of verbally punching someones lights out. Regards. Mark.

It is a very and I mean very bad idea to put your phone number be it mobile or land line on the internet for it to be googled then hammered by every tele sales agency on the planet, your worries about a flock of wayward, or not wayward fieldfares will pale into insignificance when you are being bombarded by salesmen wanting to sell you everything from a timeshare in majorca to new windows for your bungalow.

Dear members. I have no idea why you think my post is suspicious, or surreal, aside of which, it is deviating from the primary issue, the birds themselves. If this subject first appeared where it didn't belong, ie, 'the Staffordshire site', then this was unintentional. I'd only just joined the forum and had no idea how to post stuff in the appropriate place, -I'm poor at best when it comes to all things PC. As for other remarks made, and at the cost of repeating already stated facts, this species has been seen about twice in cornwall during September in the last 20 odd years. I promise that there isn't anything remotely to question here, I am genuine, and seek only to get the birds recognised. I am trying to post photos, but my brain and fat fingers are getting nowhere at present, but will keep trying. I suppose that I should expect some doubt regarding this report, but all this stuff has nothing whatsoever to do with getting the situation sorted. I'm also a little bewildered about such responses. Don't you get cries for help from time to time? If you read them, is your reaction always the same, that the sender or the post itself is somehow a bit odd? Is that more important than what the thread is attempting to relate? If so, its a shame. Regards. Mark.

I'm fairly certain the original posting appeared on the Staffordshire thread - i had it on an email - and looks like it was deleted. So why would someome from Cornwall in need of extreme urgent help put (and look) on the Staffordshire thread. I'm sorry and i may be wrong, but some things on this thread just don't add up.

Mark,

Whether they have been 'officially recorded' or not, Fieldfares are in Cornwall for 7 months of every year, no one is going to spend any time travelling to, or waiting for, a Fieldfare (or mis-identified Mistle Thrush) in September when they'll be visible from most household windows in a week or two.

If this was a sighting reported during May - July, people would have an interest in confirming it as it may involve a possible breeding attempt.

Andy.

Andy. Have you actually read what has been written? That this flock have been here since mid July, and likely earlier, that they have been here outside of your 'seven month' window; that waiting is part of the pursuit but that aside, that the birds arrive each evening at the same roost at the same time (ie, you won't grow a beard); that these are not mistles, ~three experienced birders have faith in that; and yes, the winter influx will be here soon, and remove any chance of separating this flock from them. I don't happen to give a hoot about 'possible breeding', as its proving difficult merely doing this much to get the point across that they are here at all. Sure, if breeding had cropped up, then great, but it hasn't, and what matters is getting them ratified. Mark.

Mark,

Whether they have been 'officially recorded' or not, Fieldfares are in Cornwall for 7 months of every year, no one is going to spend any time travelling to, or waiting for, a Fieldfare (or mis-identified Mistle Thrush) in September when they'll be visible from most household windows in a week or two.

If this was a sighting reported during May - July, people would have an interest in confirming it as it may involve a possible breeding attempt.

Andy.

Hi Mark, can you send me your photos please to cornwallbirding"at"btinternet.com I will have a look at them regardless of quality. I note in your earlier post that the flock has been there since July. In which case they are very unlikely to be fieldfare. Mistle Thrush do breed in the county and do occur in good flocks occasionally. Ive seen 10+ regularly around the Hayle/St Erth area. Sorry, but Im a little bemused that you (or three other experienced birders) can't positively identify a flock of Fieldfare if you have been birding since 1965? If you are 100% sure thats what they are then just send the record to the county recorder. (I would add a description however!)I dont fully understand the urgency either. As earlier posters have said, Fieldfare is not a rare bird in the county. September records are rare but not unheard of, (singles have occured in May!) but as you say, these birds have been there since July? I await your photos and hopefully put your mind at rest.

Regards,

Last edited:
Hello Paul. Will send whatever I can right now. Regs. M

Hi Mark, can you send me your photos please to cornwallbirding"at"btinternet.com I will have a look at them regardless of quality. I note in your earlier post that the flock has been there since July. In which case they are very unlikely to be fieldfare. Mistle Thrush do breed in the county and do occur in good flocks occasionally. Ive seen 10+ regularly around the Hayle/St Erth area. Sorry, but Im a little bemused that you (or three other experienced birders) can't positively identify a flock of Fieldfare if you have been birding since 1965? If you are 100% sure thats what they are then just send the record to the county recorder. (I would add a description however!)I dont fully understand the urgency either. As earlier posters have said, Fieldfare is not a rare bird in the county. September records are rare but not unheard of, (singles have occured in May!) but as you say, these birds have been there since July? I await your photos and hopefully put your mind at rest.

Regards,

Flock in July?

Just a thought but do fieldfares flock in July? Would they not be paired off breeding/raising young? Seems too early, even if they were nesting there. You may have seen a family group of Mistle Thrushes?

All sorted, simple case of misidentification. Happens to us all. Still, as you quite rightly say Mark, Mistle Thrushes are not common in Cornwall so your record will still be useful to the county recorder.

all the best,

Thank you to all those forum members that contributed to this thread in a positive manner, and with goodwill, ~your cooperation is exactly what is needed to nurture a community spirit, regardless of the issues involved.
Those that made disparaging remarks and alike were at liberty to be heard, but were in no way conducive to the outcome, which I assume was their aim.
Thank you all again. Regs. M

All sorted, simple case of misidentification. Happens to us all. Still, as you quite rightly say Mark, Mistle Thrushes are not common in Cornwall so your record will still be useful to the county recorder.

all the best,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back