• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds you've seen, but not 'properly' (1 Viewer)

I don't know how many times in my life I've seen a Goshawk but it's still not in my life list because I'm not 100% it was: too far away, bad light, a glimpse... Quite frustrating!!! :-C

Pale-vented Bush Hen.

In fact I heard one just a few hours ago at dawn as they occur minutes from home. On a couple of occasions I've seen a 'shape' disappear into the forest from the direction of the call, which could surely only be the bird, but nothing I could tick!

I now feel guilty and lucky, in equal measure!

black redstart
wilsons phalarope
little owl
cirl bunting
gargany
black tern
little gull
sanderling little stint
curlew sandpiper

Inca Doves - went to South America a couple of years ago and I'm sure they were everywhere. But not being a birder yet I was uninterested in "common" doves and never technically noticed or took a photo.

Brown noddy - same as above
Galapagos Hawk - this one ticks me off. At the end of our tour, our guide is listing all the animals we've seen. "Oh yeah, remember when we were at X island and there were birds flying around? Some of those were Galapags Hawks." Really dude? I can't count that! Maybe the time to mention it was then...?

Orioles - We had the occasional visit from these at our backyard birdfeeder where I grew up. I only wish I'd paid more attention....

My question is where in Scotland has he been seeing all these Nutcrackers?

Just to clarify, in case my reputation has taken a beating, my comment regarding Nutcrackers most definitiely needs a |;| after it! There was a thread in the Rarities forum which lead to that comment being made. Reputation restored:king:

Just to clarify, in case my reputation has taken a beating, my comment regarding Nutcrackers most definitiely needs a |;| after it! There was a thread in the Rarities forum which lead to that comment being made. Reputation restored:king:

I like the pun of your reputation taking a beating.

It sounds like your nutcrackers are a bit like fieldfares in Cornwall in September.

Allen

my only parrot xbill experience was to see a group fly away as I walked up to the birders watching them - they called as they went, but they never got ticked.

I've had a couple of skulkers that I have had to form a "composite mental picture" of - after seeing the whole bird in fractions (!) - Marmora's Warbler (St Abbs) and Bornean Ground-cuckoo.

Oh, and UTV's of Blue-banded Pitta hurt (a lot).

There have been a few over the years that I've eventually decided just have to go :-C. Most recently decided to sling out my crap views of what had to be a Dupont's Lark. Hours of fun looking for one of those again then. Not.:C

i travel around lincolnshire and never seen a woodpecker of any kind but would love to..people say they have them in their gardens not fair!

I don't want to take this thread of on a tangent, but for those who have mentioned heard only birds, take a look at This thread and several answers including my own at post 34.

Niels

Eurasian cuckoo. Heard only.
Roadrunner. I have seen several, I do not have a time and place for the life list.

I don't want to take this thread of on a tangent, but for those who have mentioned heard only birds, take a look at This thread and several answers including my own at post 34.

Its a fair point. I suppose from my point of view, my inexperience is even greater with bird song than it is from a sighting. When I see (typically a warbler) I have to record its song, return home and get some CDs out. The sighting of it at least gives me a starting point.

Having said that, I have heard a Cuckoo, but never seen one. Its not on my list...annoyingly!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back