• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brazoria Texas bird (1 Viewer)

hsoj

Hey everybody. My first post.
Help Please - I saw this bird in Brazoria Wildlife Preserve in Texas (Near Galveston a coastal area) in the autumn.
I was wondering if anyone can see it well enough to make a call.
A friend gave me one guess but told me to ask for more opinions.
Thanks,
Joshua
Chicago
[/IMG]

Attachments

• 366-194.jpg
    366-194.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 216
Hi Joshua,

On Behalf of all the Moderators and the Admin team, let me wish you a warm WELCOME to BirdForum.

As I personally have absolutely zero experience of US birds, I'm afraid I cannot help you, but keep checking back, and before long, I am sure someone will come along who can!

:t:

Hi Joshua and welcome to Birdforum from the Moderators and Admin.
Hope you enjoy the site and look forward to your posts.

At first glance the bird in your pic looks like a female Great-tailed Grackle,but doubtless someone will correct me!

Grousemore said:
Hi Joshua and welcome to Birdforum from the Moderators and Admin.
Hope you enjoy the site and look forward to your posts.

At first glance the bird in your pic looks like a female Great-tailed Grackle,but doubtless someone will correct me!

Looks like it to me as well. Quiscalus mexicanus female.

Steve

Definitely a wise choice; I understand certainly the prevalence of this species in the area.
Here is a fragment of the large file, and the source of my confusion about whether this bird could be a female Boat-Tailed Grackle.

Please take a look,
Josh

Attachments

• 366-194v2.jpg
    366-194v2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 104
Hi Josh,

Checking in Sibley, I'd stick with Great-tailed: the supercilium looks a bit too bright and sharply-defined for what Sibley says about Boat-tailed ("supercilium blends into crown", and only shown as dull brown in the pic). The eye colour can tell adults, but (of female Great-tail) "some birds remain dark eyed through 1st year".

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back