• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

id please (1 Viewer)

helenol

A few very grainy pics, not sure if enough info is there for id purposes, but I'll give it a go anyway: (I will try to get some better pics at a later date)

One - woodpecker, but which one?
Two - no idea
Three and Four - the same bird
Five - is this a common buzzard?

ta.

Attachments

• idone.jpg
    idone.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 218
  • idtwo.jpg
    idtwo.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 256
  • idthree.jpg
    idthree.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 224
  • idfour.jpg
    idfour.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 205
  • idfive.jpg
    idfive.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 212
Thanks THH. I thought nr. 2 was a different bird from 3 and 4, as it seemed smaller and more "uniform" in colour on the tail. Cheers.

Hi Helen. I guess you'd already discounted Green Woodpecker for no.1 ;). The large white ovals on the shoulders are a dead giveaway for Great Spotted: Lesser Spot doesn't have them.

Is this a spotted flycatcher too?

Sorry, but I just can't get my head round these birds at all. They always seem to look different! There are definitely 2 of them in the garden.

Attachments

• flycatcher.jpg
    flycatcher.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 186
Hi Helen,
Yes,this too is a Spotted Flycatcher!The streaked crown,broad-based bill and diffusely streaked upper breast support the ID,also note the short sturdy legs of a flycatcher.
Harry

Harry, thanks for that. I shall do my best to refrain from posting umpteen pics of "what is this, is it a flycatcher?" Cheers.

helenol said:
I shall do my best to refrain from posting umpteen pics of "what is this, is it a flycatcher?" Cheers.

Please don't refrain from posting these. I for one enjoy having a go and then seeing the expert answers. This time I was right but often I'm not.

Dave

helenol said:
Harry, thanks for that. I shall do my best to refrain from posting umpteen pics of "what is this, is it a flycatcher?" Cheers.

Uh isn't that what the forum is for? Keep posting H

pduxon said:
Uh isn't that what the forum is for? Keep posting H
Pete, I know that, but I'm sure it will become a little tedious for the good folk on here after posting my umpteenth photo of the same bird but taken at a different angle! It will have a standard reply "Yes, Helen, it's that flycatcher again" ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back