• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

***Red Kite? (Possible Long-legged Buzzard in UK) (1 Viewer)

TerryH

These two were over our garden in Huntingdon on Sunday afternoon. The smaller of the two is I believe a Sparrow Hawk the second much larger bird from trying to match up with flight drawings is possibly a Red kite can anyone confirm please.

We watched them for about 20 minutes the Hawk was flying around the Kite and then attacking it. On its patch I suppose.

Terry

Attachments

• redkite.jpg
    redkite.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 3,517
Common Buzzard & Sparrowhawk. The Buzzard is in moult, missing its innermost primaries and central pair of tail feathers.

Sorry, no Red Kite, that has a very different shape (including the famous forked tail)

Michael

Thanks Micheal,

It was the fan shaped tail that made me think it was a Kite anyway I'm pleased it was a Buzzard we don't see many locally
and not for such a good display.

Hi Michael,
Sparrowhawk I agree with,but could that Buteo be an escaped Red-tailed Hawk?Thought of Long-legged Buzzard when I saw the photo first!!
Harry H

Hi Terry, My first thought was red-tailed hawk, but then I am not familiar with raptors in the UK. By the way, I have visited Huntingdon as my grandmother's father had a monument shop on High Street. It is now a craft and yarn shop. Also, St. Mary's was her church. Lovely little town. How about the birds call, red-tailed hawks are very distinctive.

Hi all,

My first thoughts were of Red-taild Hawk but upon closer inspection and a bit of a discussion with a friend I now don't think it can be one. RTH has a pronounced dark leading edge to the underwing which does vary a little bit according to the drawings in Sibley but should be more evident in a pale bird such as the one photographed. Also the bird in the photo's has a dark carpal patch something that RTH doesn't have in all pale phase drawings in Sibley.

Mark

Plumage-wise I guess it has to be a Common Buzzard (plenty of red-tailed ones down here). However it sure does look longer- and narrower-winged than normal - and I do see a lot of them. I read that vulpinus is longer-winged than the nominate race - but the date probably makes this an outsider.

Hi all,
I've now decided,given that there is no dark 'leading edge' to the underwing,that the bird was far more likely to have been an unusually rufous-tailed Common Buzzard,presumably just buteo?Can hybrid Common Buzzard x Red-tailed Hawk be fully ruled out,unlikely as this may be?
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi all,
I've now decided,given that there is no dark 'leading edge' to the underwing,that the bird was far more likely to have been an unusually rufous-tailed Common Buzzard,presumably just buteo?Can hybrid Common Buzzard x Red-tailed Hawk be fully ruled out,unlikely as this may be?
Harry
Hi Harry,

There's certainly records of escaped Red-tailed Hawks pairing up with Buzzards, tho' I've not heard if any have bred successfully.

Michael

If found this thread in the "Index for ID Q&A"-thread, where the bird in the pictures was labelled as a "Common Buzzard with unusually pale tail". However, I do not think it is one, and that the bird looks very much like a 2nd c.y. Long-legged Buzzard:

-the newly moulted central retrices, are very pale with an orange tinge, seemingly lacking any barring
-even the juvenal retrices have a reddish tinge
-the carpal patches are solidly dark
-the belly is dark, but the breast and head are pale
-the lesser underwing coverts are rather pale, contrasting only slightly against the median coverts
-the body of the bird looks wide and heavy and the wings look rather long.

I even asked Dick Forsman about this bird, and his reply was that it isn't a Common Buzzard, and could very well be a Long-legged Buzzard, but the pictures lack the detail to identify it with certainty, it could for example also be an (escaped) Upland Buzzard (Buteo hemilasius) or something like that.

Glad you brought this up CAU, had my eyes on this quite a while ago, immediate impression 2cy Long-legged Buzzard - thinking it had all the verifying characters and looking more robust than Steppe Buzzard (and Common Buzzard)

JanJ

Terry H has not been active on here since 2004, according to his profile. He might end up becoming the only person with LL Buzzard on his UK list but never even realise it!!

Glad you brought this up CAU, had my eyes on this quite a while ago

JanJ

No problem, I too had been wondering about these images for a while.

Terry H has not been active on here since 2004, according to his profile. He might end up becoming the only person with LL Buzzard on his UK list but never even realise it!!

Well, I must say it is quite a coincidence that a photograph of a presumed Red Kite ends up being identified as a LL/Upland Buzzard (or maybe a hybrid between them or something else). However, I do think that LL Buzzards can sometimes find their way even to the UK, a few years ago there was a record from Utsira, which is an island about 30 km off the cost of south-western Norway. Though I don't know how easily a LL Buzzard would be accpted into category A...

It's a pity that Terry's pictures weren't a notch better... I don't know what details are required to be seen to separate the two species. However, Upland Buzzards have usually broader wings, and the wings of Terry's bird look admittedly fairly broad.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back