• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

Wisp in the Wilderness

Checked out the Wilderness this morning, with Green or Wood Sandpiper the prime targets. Once again, they had been present while I had been away. Once again, they were now notable by their absence, further cementing their position as my main bogey birds.

What was notable this morning was the large number of Snipe present. I reckon 20 - 30 birds

Attachments

• DSCN7384.jpg
    DSCN7384.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN7389.jpg
    DSCN7389.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN7410.jpg
    DSCN7410.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN7414.jpg
    DSCN7414.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 83
Fife Ness

Made another attempt at sea watching this morning. A breezy and very wet Fife Ness was the venue. With the wind from the SE, I was also hoping for a few migrants at the muir, but drew a blank.

Very little happening out at sea (not counting the close in Bottle-Nose Dolphins), although I did spot my first Fife Arctic Skua. Pale version with long tail. No other Skuas though, and no Shearwaters.

Counted 384 Gannets before I gave up the will to count any more.

Also found my first Sanderling of the season, mixed in with Ringed Plover and Dunlin on the rocks.

Attachments

• rze1.jpg
    rze1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 73
  • rze2.jpg
    rze2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 89
  • rze3.jpg
    rze3.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 77
Ross's Goose

There was an alert that went out this afternoon concerning the sighting of a Ross's Goose, west of Aberdour at some farmland pools. The alert was five hours old when I picked up on it, but as a Ross's Goose is new to me, I decided to give it a go. That is after I had Googled Ross's Goose to see what it looked like.

Arriving at the pools, I found them deserted, however, faintly in the distance, I could hear geese honking. I moved away from the pools, and headed a few metres up a farm road. It was enough to give me a view over a cereal field into a cow pasture. In the field was a flock of Greylag's, and eventually, I was able to pick out my first ever Ross's Goose.

Any thoughts on where this bird may have originated from?

Attachments

• DSCN7673.jpg
    DSCN7673.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN7667.jpg
    DSCN7667.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN7666.jpg
    DSCN7666.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN7662.jpg
    DSCN7662.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN7661.jpg
    DSCN7661.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 89
The speculation is that it's the Ross's goose that's been hanging around Gladmuir with the greylags for much of the summer. It was apparently seen (again with greylags) at Loch Leven, so perhaps moving around with them?

About two years ago there was one here in West Lothian - Torphichen / Bathgate area, again with a large flock of greylag.

The speculation is that it's the Ross's goose that's been hanging around Gladmuir with the greylags for much of the summer. It was apparently seen (again with greylags) at Loch Leven, so perhaps moving around with them?

About two years ago there was one here in West Lothian - Torphichen / Bathgate area, again with a large flock of greylag.

Thanks Moadib. There was mention on the alert that it may have come from Lothian, but I was unaware of sightings over there.

Wilderness to Rossie Bog.

Dropped in at the Wilderness, Letham Pools and Angle Park this morning. Nothing new to report. Pick of the bunch was a Greenshank at the Wilderness.

Also visited a place new to me called Rossie Bog. The bog itself is very difficult to view from the road, and I couldn't see any legitimate access, so may be a write off for me. I'll try again later in the year, as the place looks to have a good record on Bird Track, but that was probably before the screen of trees grew.

Visiting my mum in Fife at the moment and had a lovely day on the east coast. Mostly standard stuff at the Eden nature centre (Ruff, Peregrine, 3 Osprey, Canada Geese, and Little Egret was a long overdue Fife tick!). At Kinshaldy/Tenstmuir was very pleasantly surprised to see 2 Black-throated Divers very close inshore just off the southern end of Tentsmuir Forest, one in almost full breeding plumage. Attached bad pics really don't do them justice. Also had one Arctic Tern, 3 Arctic Skua, Peregrine hunting a wader flock which consisted of a nice mix of Sanderling, Dunlin and Ringed Plover (plus 2 Knot). There was also a big southerly movement of hirundines.

Attachments

• DSCN9134.jpg
    DSCN9134.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 17.52.48.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 17.52.48.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 100
Tour of Fife

It was supposed to have rained overnight, leaving me with a cloudy, but dry day. As I headed out at first light, I realised that it had not rained, but it was threatening too. Indeed, as I headed to my first site for the day, it started to rain. Things were not off to a good start.

I arrived at Shell Bay, and immediately headed along the beach and out to Ruddon's Point. There was It was misty and grey, however, not so much that I couldn't get a good view across Largo Bay. Largo Bay was empty apart from Eider.

I headed to the Cocklemill Burn, but there was little of interest there, so I headed back to the car. At this point, my list for the day, including birds seen on the drive, consisted of LBBG, Herring Gull, Rook, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Common Gull, Pheasant, Heron, Oystercatcher, Eider, Curlew, Redshank, Black-Headed Gull, Starling, Pied Wagtail, Sandwich Tern, Dunlin, Goosander, Ringed Plover, Goldfinch, Magpie and Blackbird.

Next stop was a quick visit to Kilconquhar Loch. The trail to the hide was overgrown and looked like it hadn't been used in weeks. Opening up one of the viewing slots, I found a very quiet looking loch, but was quickly able to add Mallard, Coot, Mute Swan, Moorhen, Gadwall, Little Grebe, Tufted Duck and Sand Martin.

On the way back to the carI added Blue Tit to the list, then it was off through the mist of the coast road towards Kilminning, adding House Sparrow to the record on the way, but not a hoped for Corn Bunting.. Arriving at Kilminning, things seemed to be livening up a bit, as the sun attempted to cut its way through the mist. In the bushes around the car park area I quickly added Great Tit, Yellowhammer, Stonechat, Whitethroat and Linnet. I also found a pristine Spotted Flycatcher. Overhead there were Swallow, and in the neighbouring stubble field, I found a very elusive Grey Partridge.

I was tempted to stay longer at Kilminning, but I wanted to be at the Eden Estuary for a couple of hours before the high tide due at 14:40 hrs. I still had Fife Ness to visit beforehand, so I headed off., adding Stock Dove to the running log on the way.

Arriving at an almost sunny Fife Ness, I headed up into the Muir. My hope was that I would find some early migrants, but apart from Woodpigeon exploding out of every possible tree and bush, I found nothing. I then headed out to the sea watching hide, but did not even bother to enter, as the mist was still thick a little out to sea. On the rocks though, I did note Cormorant, Shag and GBBG.

Now I headed off towards the Eden Estuary for the main event. I was heading to a new spot there by visiting the hide in Balgove Bay. Main target for the day was to be the White-Tailed Eagle. I have spent nearly two years missing/dipping this bird, but was determined that today was going to be the day.

Parking at the golf club, I set off down the track that heads west across the Balgove course. I was limping heavily as a slight strain of the right achilles, decided to become more than a strain, but I was determined to give myself every chance to see my long sort after eagle. After about 15 to twenty minutes, I started to become unsure if I should still be on the track or if I should have cut across the fairway to my right, so as to reach the edge of the salt marsh. I decided to cross the fairway. It proved to be the right and wrong decision. As I passed besides a patch of gorse, a Wheatear took to the air. Then after crossing the fairway, a Grey Wagtail flew over and landed in the marsh area.

I found I was now trapped between the marsh and the golf course. I couldn't retrace my steps as there were now golfers playing up the fairway. Not wanting to sully the reputation of birders, I stepped out of bounds and out of sight, onto the back edge of the marsh. I waited till they had played through, then clambered the bank back up onto the course, crossing the fairway behind the golfers and rejoining the original track. A little further along the track, I found and entered the Balgove hide.

Having set up in the hide, I started viewing the birds out on the marsh and across at the edge of the airfield. There were posts across there where the eagles are known to perch. Slightly obscured by the mist, I found one of the posts had a bird perched on it, but even before the excitement disappeared, I realised that this was an Osprey with its back to me. Scanning further along that far bank, I also found a Little Egret, then the heavens opened and the far bank disappeared.

With the incoming tide pushing waders towards me, along with Shelduck and Wigeon, I concentrated on them. In the midst of the crowd of Curlew, I was pleased to find a Whimbrel. Lapwing and Jackdaw were also present on the flats, and another Osprey was seen along the bank eating a flat fish atop a power line pole. No W-T Seaeagle though.

With the water now up close to the hide there were few birds in front of me, and although the rain had stopped, the mist was heavy and made searching for the eagle impossible. I noted a group of Black-Tailed Godwit to my right, then exited the hide and limped back to the car, noting a Skylark along the way.

Next stop was a quick call in at the Eden Estuary Centre. It was very dark and gloomy when I entered the centre, but not as dark and gloomy as my mood when I was updated by another birder that the W-T Eagle had been there in the morning.

I didn't stay long, but it was long enough to note Greenfinch, Tree sparrow and Chaffinch at the feeder tables. Also, Feral Pigeon was seen flying by. If I'd had any sense I'd have called it a day. The mist was obviously thickening, but so was my thought process. Maybe I'd get a glimpse of the W-T E at Tentsmuir I thought.

By the time I got to Kinshaldy beach at Tentsmuir, I could just about get a glimpse of the sea, no matter anything else. That said, I did spot a couple of Sanderling at the waters edge, and a couple of groups of Kittiwake flew by close and low.

"Time to go home", said the realist inside me. "Let's try Morton Lochs", said the dreamer. So Morton Lochs it was. Shrouded in fog, there was nothing happening at Morton Lochs. I tried for the Kingfisher, but there was no sign. I headed off for home.

It was my intent to head straight home, however, south of Cupar the mist was minimal and the sun was threatening to break through. A detour to the Wilderness was decided upon. Even in the minutes I was there, the mist started to thicken again, but not before I had added Greylag, Greenshank, Ruff and Snipe to the list. I also called in at Letham Pools. It would have been rude not too, but found nothing new there.

On the way home, a Buzzard was the final addition to the list. Not the raptor I would most like to have seen on that day, but always a welcome sighting.

Attachments

• DSCN8041.jpg
    DSCN8041.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN8052.jpg
    DSCN8052.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN8055.jpg
    DSCN8055.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Avocet at Eden

I am feeling a little bit sorry for myself. Not only did I miss the morning visit of a W-T Eagle on Tuesday, but I left the centre 15 minutes before an Avocet turned up in the afternoon.

Avocet there again today, but I was stuck with other commitments. :-C

Last edited:
Right! Let me know what the response is, Paul, as I've a few complaints of my own!;)

I better not say anything about the day I had at the Eden estuary yesterday then. One White Tailed Eagle on the posts, one in flight over the trees, plus 2 Ospreys feeding close to FBC hide and 6 Little Egrets on salt marsh early morning between 7 and 9. Walked round to Guardbridge hide to find I'd missed the Avocet. Guy who had seen it refound it, but it was distant. Lifer for me. Headed to Wilderness for a while but only 8 Ruff and a Greenshank of note there. Raining, so back to Guardbridge hide via St Andrews. More Ospreys, Egrets and later closer views of Avocet, also WTE out on estuary post again. Back to FBC hide again late afternoon but only another Osprey being chased by tern flock. 12 hours out birding made it rather tiring but productive.

There you see.... told you you'd get there. Well done on your Lifer too Barry. Nice looking birds Avocets, aren't they.

That was a long day, but you sure managed to pack it all in, didn't you lad.

Eden Estuary

Returned to the Eden Estuary Centre this afternoon, and pleased to say that I found the Avocet. :t: The W-T Eagle however remains on the same list on which I keep, Nessie, the yeti and unicorns. 3:)

Very pleased with a lifer for Avocet though. Good views had of the Kingfisher too. Ospreys and Egrets present.

Spot the shrimp in the photos.

Attachments

• DSCN8137.jpg
    DSCN8137.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN8138.jpg
    DSCN8138.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN8141.jpg
    DSCN8141.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN8113.jpg
    DSCN8113.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN8118.jpg
    DSCN8118.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 82
Well done Paul - at least you've got that one under your belt now.

Great pictures too - and yes, I got the shrimp!!! You timed that one well lad.

i headed up to st cyrus nature reserve today to see the humbacked whale that has been feeding in the area ,it appeared at 3.20 and was still showing when I left at 4.45,i couldn,t believe how close inshore it was coming ,last 2 pics are frame grabs from a vid

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 121
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 101
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 104
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg