• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Atlanta area spring migration hot spot? (1 Viewer)

Doug Greenberg

Hello,
I make regular visits to Atlanta, Georgia, these days to visit my 86-year-old father. My next visit will likely be in late April or early May, dates as yet unconfirmed. As a California birder, one thing I miss is a clearly defined spring migration, particularly anything resembling "fallout." Consequently, I'd like to schedule my visit so that I might have the best chance of seeing a fair number of spring migrants. Last year I went to Kennesaw Mountain around the sixth of May and saw a large variety of warbler species but not that many birds, really. Should I simply repeat last year's trip, or is there a better time and place to possibly view a significant migration wave? I will be able to stay about five days. Thanks for any suggestions.
Doug in California

Doug,

I just stumbled across this old thread.

Have you found the Kennesaw Mountain website, which has great archived information on migration counts? It quite informative. As far as a one-stop "migrant trap", it might be hard to beat. The time I went, there were some very knowledgable birders there, whom I enjoyed meeting.

You might also check out GABO (ga birders online) - interesting list-serv.

APSmith said:
Doug,

I just stumbled across this old thread.

Have you found the Kennesaw Mountain website, which has great archived information on migration counts? It quite informative. As far as a one-stop "migrant trap", it might be hard to beat. The time I went, there were some very knowledgable birders there, whom I enjoyed meeting.

You might also check out GABO (ga birders online) - interesting list-serv.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get there during next week. There seem to be a good range of sites to visit in Georgia.
John

Hi Doug, I have been off line for a bit and just landed again. I have very little time off in the Summer time but if you are going to be in the Atlanta on a Monday and can holler at me a few days early I would be happy to show you around. I`m no pro birder but I do have some places that I think you might like. I shoot a Nikon system so if you have a Nikon body bring that and I will tie you into some big glass to go with it. Like to fish? A combo bird/fish day? I have a small farm and you can see it here www.rainbowranchtrout.com Hope your dad is doing well. Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back