• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back country (1 Viewer)

Any good places to go deep in the back country around Texas? I like to escape the crowds and have places to myself. I'm used to Alaska where I have more public land than I could ever explore. Any advice is appreciated

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There are no public lands in TX where you can go any time and do what you want. Land is either state-owned, such as state parks, or privately owned.

There are federal lands, but these are either parks or wildlife refuges, so they are also unlike public lands in the west and AK. However, if you don't mind paying the entry fee, you can get away quite well in the larger parks such as Big Bend or Guadalupe Mtns National Parks, or the National Seashores, or the larger state parks such as Big Bend Ranch.

Out of the Way Texas

Any good places to go deep in the back country around Texas? I like to escape the crowds and have places to myself. I'm used to Alaska where I have more public land than I could ever explore. Any advice is appreciated

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yup, I agree with Phil R. above--Some of Big Bend Nat'l park and especially Big Bend Ranch State park can be definitely almost Alaska-level out of the way. The state park requires cars with puncture-resistant (thicker side-walls) tires to access some of it.

Near to Big Bend--at the highly recommended to visit--Carolyn Ohl's "Christmas Mountain Oasis" My car radio had No AM nor FM reception at all--which is unusual outside of the bottom of a deep canyon on a road in the Lower 48. Google the least populated counties in the USA and you will find most of them are in Texas--although some of these aren't very birdy nor have much public access.

Another completely deserted spot in Texas is Padre Island national seashore a.k.a. "The Longest Stretch of Undeveloped Barrier Island in The World."

You can literally have miles of beach to yourself. Access to 60 miles of driveable beach is driving along the beach southward starting near Corpus Christi--sand is hard packed but only accessible with a high-clearance, 4-wheel drive vehicle to avoid getting stranded (very expensive to get your car towed back to civilization). Bring plenty of water.

https://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/drivingdownisland.htm

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back