• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (1 Viewer)

How green is my Pipit?

Wind swung round this morning to become an East wind. More of a breeze than a wind at only eight knots, but it turned the migrants back on. By lunchtime I was spotting the odd small bird flitting across the decks. Only managed to get a good sight of one though, and that was a juvenile Pied Wagtail.

Later in the day, one of my colleagues brought me a plastic tub with a retrieved bird inside. He'd found it exhaused on a walkway. Peeping into the tub, I could see a very green olive bird, that at first I thought was some kind of warbler, but then I spotted the streaky white/cream chest and flanks. It has taken a while to convince myself, but apparently pipits can be that strikingly green.

Anyway, I took a few photos, then took the bird to a quiet (Gull free) area of the platform and released it. It fluttered off, but then settled on a scaffold where it stuck its head under its wing and I assume went off to sleep. I don't rate its chances, but bird falls on platforms due to migration exhaustion is a sad reality. I'm always tempted to try and intervene (keep the bird and feed it), but I've been advised that this is the wrong thing to do, so generally I just let nature take its course. You never know though, my Pipit may rest up and head off.

Any pictures of the pipit? An olive green pipit could certainly be something very interesting!

Yes, I've got photos. I can't attach them on here from work, but I've sent them into the North Sea Bird Club, so they should appear on their website after Wednesday. I'll post a link here when they appear.

Last day.

Not much to report over the last few days. I could see the odd small bird flashing past the platform, but nothing stopping off. Might have something to do with the build up of Great Black-Backed Gulls that exceeded 600 birds at one point.

Today was different however! Morning was bright and apart from about 200 GBBGs, I only spotted a lone Wagtail flying by. That's my third this week. Then, while counting gulls, a Minke Whale surfaced - always a thrill.

Lunch time brought thick fog and I noticed a small bird heading for the top of the accommodation module. Following it up there, I positioned myself at a point over-looking the accom roof; an area with a maze of ducting and pipework. Immediately, birds started to appear. In fact they were dropping down onto the roof out of the fog.

A beautifully marked Meadow Pipit hopped towards me through the gaps in the steelwork, scaffolding and ducting. I stood there a still as possible as it passed within two inches of my left foot before casually hopping off. Now several birds were dancing about on the roof. They would flutter up a few feet, twisting and turning, before dropping back onto the roof. At least one of the birds appeared to be a Willow Warbler. Another, the boldest, looked to have the dark legs of a Chiffchaff. After twenty minutes of this, I headed off for a camera. Back in fifteen minutes, at least two of the birds were still appearing. The Chiffchaff came closer and closer. I was looking over the top of a metal cabinet as it approached, still performing its dance. Then it landed a couple of feet to my right, a winged insect clamped in its beak. It looked me up and down before hopping away. Now I knew. These birds were feeding. My Chiffchaff flew close over my head, then it came back, its wing tips touching my head as it passed by. Plenty of photos taken, I left them too it.

Why were these birds coming so close to me. I think that because they were in such an unnatural environment, that I did not stand out as I would in their natural environment. By not moving, I just became one of many strange unrecognised objects. Or it may be that the platform rumour that I'm a Bird Whisperer is true.:t:

Once I work out how to do it, I'll post some of the pictures on here. I'm pretty sure it was a Chiffchaff, but it did have more yellow on its breast and more orange in its beak than I would expect

Last edited:
Received e-mail from the North Sea Bird Club recorder, and he has gone for the bird being a Chiffchaff. I'll put the picture up on the Bird ID forum to get a wider consensus of opinion.

Received e-mail from the North Sea Bird Club recorder, and he has gone for the bird being a Chiffchaff. I'll put the picture up on the Bird ID forum to get a wider consensus of opinion.

I'll confess to being a bit concerned that the recorder thinks it's a Chiffchaff. It's very definitely not one.

Why were these birds coming so close to me. I think that because they were in such an unnatural environment, that I did not stand out as I would in their natural environment.

I experienced that too while offshore - my theory was that many of these birds will have been raised in remote Scandinavian forests, and have probably never encountered a human before!

Another photo

Same bird.

I've sent an e-mail back to the NSBC asking them to take another look, with Icterine in mind.

Attachments

• What's up there.jpg
    What's up there.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
An Icterine would have made my trip out here in the Norwegian sector. A rather quiet trip offshore with Pied fly, Sparrowhawk and Ruff been the best. Although during drilling I get very little time to look. Keeping an eye out for a certain species of Owl as there have been more sightings around Stavanger in the last few days.
I'm glad to see you have started this thread as I have been wanting to do this for several years but have been too lazy. Hope you don't mind if I post things up here. Last day today and ready for a break, 10 days at home since April so looking forward to some easterly winds and a few migs around NE Scotland.

An Icterine would have made my trip out here in the Norwegian sector. A rather quiet trip offshore with Pied fly, Sparrowhawk and Ruff been the best. Although during drilling I get very little time to look. Keeping an eye out for a certain species of Owl as there have been more sightings around Stavanger in the last few days.
I'm glad to see you have started this thread as I have been wanting to do this for several years but have been too lazy. Hope you don't mind if I post things up here. Last day today and ready for a break, 10 days at home since April so looking forward to some easterly winds and a few migs around NE Scotland.

Hi Pete,
I'll be delighted if you post on the thread. It helps give a bigger picture. Have a good leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back