• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

Highlights for the day
- Pollentia Roman Fort - whitethroat
- La Gola - wood sandpiper
- Pollensa - black vulture, griffon vulture (high over, to the north of the town, near Ternelles valley)
- Albufereta tower hide - osprey, spotted crake, night heron, purple heron, water pipit, stone-curlew

After visiting an active Albufera in the morning (Marsh, Wood, Green, Common Sandpiper, 8 Sanderling, 2 Teminck's Stints, Little Bittern, Reed and Great Reed Warbler singing) I headed to the water hide at Son Real. I had high expectations for Crossbill but alas no show, however that was more than compensated for by a Red Kite coming down to the pool to drink. Two Tawny Pipits were in fields around car park. A mid afternoon visit to Depuradura produced a single Whiskered Tern. And finally walking back from a restaurant in Porta Pollensa, along the bypass towards Llenaire, a Barn Owl ghosted across the road. Cheers.

Three crossbills turned up at the hide on route 4 at Son Real at approx 4.00pm. Also sighted there were some pipits ( not sure which) nightingale, plenty of serin, blackcap and a firecrest.

Also heard what I thought was red legged partridge.

Hi ggshrike, yes, there are many Red-legged partridges along the wall approaching the hide on blue walk so I'm sure you would have heard them.
Well done with the harrier, I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.
It's so flaming cold here that I am missing the Mallorca sunshine. Still, lots of great birds here to compensate including Cedar waxwings, a first for me.
I am very much enjoying reading all your reports, thanks. Mike

Hi Clive, sorry nobody has commented on your warbler, I hope they do.
If it's the same bird in both photographs then it's interesting to see how different the leg colour looks.
For me it's a Willow Warbler, leg colour in first photo, longer primary projection, clear supercillium, white underparts and hints of yellow. Then again, with my recent form....Mike

Thanks Mike, for me it's a Willow too, the second photo is a crop from the original and is a little under-exposed, the first is processed in Photoshop, compensating for under-exposure, otherwise it's the same bird. I put the second photo in because it shows the primaries spread out, and to me they look about the same length as the tertials. According to Collins, Willows can have legs almost as dark as Chiffs. It's these variations in many birds that keeps us guessing, like Yellow Wagtails, iberiae and cinereocapilla with their varying amounts of white supercillium. I think the one in the photo is iberiae?
The Marsh Sandpiper, Yellow Wagtail and Temminck's Stint is from yesterday from Albufera - Still no luck with the Jack Snipe!

Attachments

• Marsh Sandpiper_5358.jpg
    Marsh Sandpiper_5358.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Yellow Wagtail_5671.jpg
    Yellow Wagtail_5671.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Temminck's Stint_5607.jpg
    Temminck's Stint_5607.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 72
Highlights today
- Mondrago NP (turtle dove, wryneck, nightingale, crossbill, redstart 2, willow warbler 3-4)
- Salobrar de Campos (tree pipit 1 calling, thekla lark, garganey 2, gtr flamingo 30, greenshank, ruff, yellow wagtail 30)

Boquer valley was very quiet again today however there was a calling wryneck as you go towards the first gate. An interesting spot was at Albufereta when we saw a grey egret! Fortunately Hughm was able to advice that it was a hybrid little egret and little egret!! Thanks for that! Also there were two purple herons and red kite. No stone curlews seen today.

I think you mean Reef Heron! Sorry to all my readers for the absence of a report yesterday but I went down with a nasty stomach bug on Thursday night and had to spend yesterday in bed. Felt a little better today so ventured out to Postage Stamp Wood and the Boquer foot. As we packed to go I noticed a small white bird on the offshore rocks, and it turned out to be a Sandwich Tern- I had feared that they had all passed through. PSW is often thought to be not much good but I find that if you stay patiently in one place the birds will come to you, and so it turned out today with Firecrest, 2 Pied Flycatchers and a Wryneck. At the Boquer foot there was a Woodchat Shrike, 2 Crossbills and some Common Redstarts, and while I waited for my wife by Hoopoe Alley a Peregrine flew over- so all in all not so bad a day.

A Wryneck, Lesser Whitethroat and male Redstart were at the entrance to the Boquer this morning, aswell as GGShrike - nice to meet you. BTW the Blue Rockthrush was also showing well at the entrance on the left just past first gate. A male Pied Flycatcher was in the Postage Stamp wood in the afternoon. Three Black Vultures were over the Boquer at 1930hrs. Cheers.

Psw

A Wryneck, Lesser Whitethroat and male Redstart were at the entrance to the Boquer this morning, aswell as GGShrike - nice to meet you. BTW the Blue Rockthrush was also showing well at the entrance on the left just past first gate. A male Pied Flycatcher was in the Postage Stamp wood in the afternoon. Three Black Vultures were over the Boquer at 1930hrs. Cheers.

Hi Hugh & Dave, I'd heard that a new motorway had destroyed PSW.....must have got it wrong. I understand it's walkable from PP, is that correct? Keep the reports coming guys, I've only got 2weeks and 6days to go! Debbie

Bluechaffinch, no need to worry, the Flamingoes won't be going anywhere. They can best be seen by walking down "Eddie's Track" from the hotel fontsanta. Good luck.
DaveG466, Lesser Whitethroat is very rare, don't suppose you have a photo?
Thanks for all the reports, nice to know what I am missing.
Mike

Bluechaffinch, no need to worry, the Flamingoes won't be going anywhere. They can best be seen by walking down "Eddie's Track" from the hotel fontsanta. Good luck.
DaveG466, Lesser Whitethroat is very rare, don't suppose you have a photo?
Thanks for all the reports, nice to know what I am missing.
Mike

I seem to have missed the post review flamingoes, is this hotel fontsanta in PP by any chance? I'll only have public transport to get around. Cheers Debbie

Hi Mike,
No photo of Lesser Whitethroat but happy to send in notes to recorder. Who and where do I send it to?
Spotted Crake at second pond at Can Cullerassa this morning. GWEgret at Albufereta along with Little/Reef hybrid and six Purple Heron.
Back home tomorrow.
Cheers,
Dave

I seem to have missed the post review flamingoes, is this hotel fontsanta in PP by any chance? I'll only have public transport to get around. Cheers Debbie
Hi Debbie
'fraid not. It's down in the south of the island, adjacent to the salt pans.
Martin

Flamingoes

Saw a couple of Flamingoes at Albufereta this afternoon. They were in the pools to the north of the water area. We were on the inland side (back lanes), having walked down the track at the crest of the hill by the fenced orchard on the back road...Hoping to see them again and will report back if we do.

We're staying not far from there, in a villa just by 'smelly river'. Only just arrived yesterday, but have explored around here a bit. Woodchat Shrikes, lots of Cattle Egrets and a Booted Eagle over Albufereta. Bocquer tomorrow!

Any recommendations in the north of the island anyone? We'll be doing S'Albufera several times (obviously!), a walk around the Cuber reservoir, and the woodland/beach place just past C'an Picafort that I can't remember the name of right now :D Is there a Scops Owl in Port de Pollensa this year?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back