• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (5 Viewers)

A great day up north meeting so many birders. Nice seeing you all and having a chat.
Three Rollers on the wires at Can Cullarassa, also a fly-over Ortolan bunting seen by Max. Two Squacco herons at Albufereta, lots of Whinchats and a few common migrants.
Two adult female Red-footed Falcons at Maria de la Salut on the way home. An angry farmer told me to get off his road as it was private and birders are not welcome he said. I believe the road is public and I told him so. He went purple with rage so I left. Mike

Today was a none birding day but Formentor lighthouse a dark phase Elenoras, at campanet my wife picked out 2 large birds turned into an Egyptain vulture and adult Bonellies eagle. Also moving through dark phase booted and marsh harrier. From son bosc deck this evening plenty of bee eater activity and a ST Lark. Lastly a Gull Billed Tern. Forgot to add 14 shag cala st Vincent's.

Last edited:
Hi, we arrived on the the island yesterday, staying 5 nights.
Are there any particular spots at S'Albufera for Moustached Warbler?
Looks like there's a lot of reeds...
Thanks

I had moustache warbler from the river behind cibollar ll hide yesterday. Theres a gap in the trees looking over the river. S albufera

Theres a flamingo back on the pool Es Patrimoni on the s albufera reserve, i can again see it from the balcony.

Last edited:
Hi, we arrived on the the island yesterday, staying 5 nights.
Are there any particular spots at S'Albufera for Moustached Warbler?
Looks like there's a lot of reeds...
Thanks

From the English Bridge take the main track into the reserve and after ca 400 m take the track off to the left by the sign "visitor centre 750m". Follow the track for 2-300m until the track crosses a dyke by an observation platform - there is a Moustached Warbler territory spanning the dyke on opposite side to the platform. It took us two visits last weekend; too windy on the first attempt and over an hour on the second attempt to get good views! /Nick

Thanks guys, we found the one Nick spoke of in about five minuets this afternoon. Cracking bird.
Also Little Bittern on the north side of the main river(?) after the visitor centre.

Had a drive about some lanes near Santa Margalida looking for RF Falcon. No joy but jolly nice country. Might try around Maria de la Salut Tomorrow, keeping well clear of Mikes farming mate...

Arrived at Palma this morning and after a long wait at Record car rentals we arrived at Can Cuarassa about 11.45. Almost immediately I got two Mallorca ticks - roller (2 on wires) and Mike M! It was lovely to bump into Mike after years of communication- consisting mainly of Mike giving me information!

Not much else of consequence to report, except a buzzard circling high over the coast late this afternoon heading NE but of course great to see lots of the regulars - hoopoe, woodchat and several large (30+) flocks of bee-eaters moving through among them.

Stew

2 Roller, 1 Golden Oriole, 6 Bee-eater and singing Gropper at C'an Cuarassa.
Also first Elenora's Falcon of the holiday, a Dp bird flying down the shoreline towards Alcudia, and a male Ortolan flushed off the tide line close to where St jordi flows into the bay.
Great reed warbler seen singing from reeds by bridge over river.

Last edited:
Seven Gull-billed terns at Salobrar de Campos this morning. Also a Glossy Ibis and a Sedge Warbler, both new birds for me at this site. All found by Neville as I was mostly asleep following yesterday's big day out. Also two Collared Pratincoles hawking near the entrance to Eddie's track. Curlew sandpiper from the road to Es Trenc. Mike

We've had a good day in the mountains today. Cuber provided Moltoni's (near the dam), both black & griffon vultures, booted eagles, red kites and a black kite heading north along the western ridge.

Mortitx had migrants in the form of redstarts (4+), whinchats (5+) and a male pied flycatcher. Again we had both black and griffon vultures and our first Eleanora's falcon of the trip. Best of all was a fine showing by 2 Bonelli's eagles on and over the seaward end crags. With blue rock thrush, cirl buntings and crossbil too, it was a great visit!

Stew

Son Real today spectacle warbler a few. Bee eaters, balearic warblers theckla larks, wrynecks bee eaters, crossbill turtle dove, wild tortoise? etc etc. Nothing very special but i was impressed with the hide by the pools could have spent all day in there.

Last edited:
On Formentor this morning we had three Elenoras Falcon. In the bay just before the tunnel.
Then later on four Red Footed Falcon just north of Maria.
Great day

On Formentor this morning we had three Elenoras Falcon. In the bay just before the tunnel.
Then later on four Red Footed Falcon just north of Maria.
Great day

Still plenty of Roller about on wires of Can Cuarassa and Llenaire.
This one came a tad closer at 20.00 hrs tonight
Also good view of singing Wryneck,Booted Eagle and about ten Bee Eaters which passed through.
Boquer Valley in the afternoon was very quiet with only Woodchat Shrike,B R Thrush,House Martin,Crag Martin .One Falcon and another large Brown rapter over high but much to distant to call.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1516.JPG
    IMG_1516.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back