• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merlin app has additions (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
I don't know when these came around but the update on the free Merlin iPhone or android gave me more Midwest birds and also Rocky Mountain. I now have sedge wren on it. The count is still lowish, but for free, not complaining.(I did not want to cram all the packages...waiting for next phone to do that) I have Sibley and on the phone I carry all the time Peterson.

I like the Merlin for the songs and calls.

The official thing claims now 750 birds
http://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/

I put the US and Canada pack (680 birds) on my Android tablet, it was only 160 MB. This device is mostly back up and stays in the car, but is handy for photos and songs when there is weak internet by phone.

Hi Tero, the new species were added to the packs in December to coincide with the launch of the Photo ID feature.

With 1,300 species currently available and several hundred to be added soon, it should cover everything you'd encounter in the US, plus lots more. Let me know if you are running into additional species that should be added.

I have Merlin on my Ipad but not on my phone. I should try it as it would be easier when out and about.

Discovered there was now a UK and Europe pack available so decided to give the PhotoID a go, as I'm intrigued to see how accurate it is. Gave it a go with a few slightly tricky photos and got the same ID as my own. Tried a few Skua photos and got a few different answers to mine. A couple of these I was sure I had the ID correct, but as I'm not brilliant with Skuas I could well be wrong and the app correct. Hard to be sure but in general I'm pretty impressed with what it is capable of.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back