• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 unknown birds - Mt. View & Monterey California (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
First bird seen on the breakwater at Monterey Bay - it is the small bird next to the Cormorant. Pic quality is poor - taken from a boat. It looks like a Black Turnstone but I am not sure. Confirmation would be nice.

The second pic is of a gull seen on the docks at Monterey Bay. Its long neck and upright posture seemed unusual to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Last two pics are of ducks seen over the marshland at the southern tip of San Francisco Bay.

Thanks!

Attachments

• blktrnstne.jpg
    blktrnstne.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 190
  • unkngull1-2.jpg
    unkngull1-2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 168
  • unknduck1-1.jpg
    unknduck1-1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 149
  • unknduck1-2.jpg
    unknduck1-2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 167
The first is hard to make out but looking at the rather slender profile and thin bill, I'd say Pelagic Comorant. The second is just a Western Gull occidentalis that's still in primary molt. The last two are female Northern Shovelers.

Gentoo said:
The first is hard to make out but looking at the rather slender profile and thin bill, I'd say Pelagic Comorant. The second is just a Western Gull occidentalis that's still in primary molt. The last two are female Northern Shovelers.

THanks for the gull and duck ids! In the first pic, I was asking about the small bird to the left of the cormorant.

But you raise an interesting idea with your Pelagic Cormorant suggestion. I thought I was looking at a Brandt's Cormorant. A Pelagic Cormorant would be a lifer tick for me :D

the smaller bird in the first pic with the cormorant is a black turnstone...all others are as Gentoo said
here is a semi in focus pic i took of one on monterey at the coast guard jetty

Attachments

• b turnstone.JPG
    b turnstone.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hi All,

I agree that the turnstone is a Black, but I think the cormorant is an out of focus Brandt's though (sorry Terry). The forehead slope looks too shallow for Pelagic and I think I am seeing a bit of the pale throat patch found on Brandt's. Also, the Northern Shovelers have male-patterned wings and faint crescents on their faces, which suggests that they are males that are still in alternate (dull eclipse) plumage.

Chris

Thanks for all of the help! I know that all of the Cormorants on the jetty appeared to be Brandt's so that doesn't surprise me.

The Black Turnstone is a lifer though.

Chris Benesh said:
Hi All,

I agree that the turnstone is a Black, but I think the cormorant is an out of focus Brandt's though (sorry Terry). The forehead slope looks too shallow for Pelagic and I think I am seeing a bit of the pale throat patch found on Brandt's. Also, the Northern Shovelers have male-patterned wings and faint crescents on their faces, which suggests that they are males that are still in alternate (dull eclipse) plumage.

Chris
The thinness of the bill ans small head doesn't seem right for Brandt's to me
http://www.birdinfo.com/A_Images_B/BrandtsCormorant_0001.html

Pelagic seems the likely bird and as the following photo shows, forhead slope is not always reliable. These two species quite frequently occur together too.
http://thebirdguide.com/pelagics/images/pelagic_cormorant_mcvicker.jpg

shape of the cormorant looks better for brandt's. the more sloping forehead and the thicker, shorter neck. i've seen brandt's on a daily basis while staying in san fran back in the 90-ties.
the gull could have some GWG-genes in it, mantle colour seems a bit on the pale side for western. possibly a backcross, F2 or 3.

lou salomon said:
shape of the cormorant looks better for brandt's. the more sloping forehead and the thicker, shorter neck. i've seen brandt's on a daily basis while staying in san fran back in the 90-ties.
the gull could have some GWG-genes in it, mantle colour seems a bit on the pale side for western. possibly a backcross, F2 or 3.
The comorant I'll give you, I'm never 100% possitive on them. That gull is a pure western, It's on the pale end of occidentalis but remember, its plumage is warn due to molt. Also, hybrids do not occur so far south so early. If this is a hybrid or backcross, it should have some prominant head smudging by now. Western's that develope any head markings usually have them by now.

Hi, I live in Aptos, South Monterey Bay. Your birds are: 1) Black Turnstone/ 2) California Gull/3) Northern Shoveler (Male) . Great Pics of the Shoveler!

Before I looked closely I was sure it was Pelagic, but I think the thin bill's an illusion from not being in focus. I also can see the patch on the side of the head that points to Brandt's, so i agree on that one, and all the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back