• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

Last edited:
There is one of a design that matches some of these: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...v&sa=X&ei=q0QHVfL6Buf97Aam4oHwCw&ved=0CDEQsAQ

Not entirely sure it's small enough in general and in size of hole. Perhaps some experimentation needed?

EDIT: P.S. It's on one of the alders by the Hen Brook bridge

Mike,

We have installed four boxes of an experimental design - expertly constructed by Rich (Skeleton Man); apparently the wedge-shape design was not been successful so a new type was devised. We placed one box along the Moors East track, one on the corner chestnut tree, and two along the Salwarpe track. As John indicated, we have our eyes on a tree along the steps boardwalk.

Peter

Mike,

We have installed four boxes of an experimental design - expertly constructed by Rich (Skeleton Man); apparently the wedge-shape design was not been successful so a new type was devised. We placed one box along the Moors East track, one on the corner chestnut tree, and two along the Salwarpe track. As John indicated, we have our eyes on a tree along the steps boardwalk.

Peter

I'll look out for those then - haven't been down much this year so far :-C

work party at Moors Today

A number of jobs were completed today and this will be the last time we go out onto the marsh, until we re launch the rafts at the end of May.

1. the tern rafts were brought in for refurbishment. The main raft was covered in mesh and left in situ. This will be removed when the terns return.
2. The pool and north islands were cleared of vegetation.
3. The salwarp log jam was finally cleared - the plastic rubbish is currently in bags by piled up next to the tool shed.
4.We planted up the gaps in the west path hedgerow, where the contractors had to gain access. In all there are over a 100 mixed hedgerow plants in 4 patches. Plants include hawthorn, guelder rose, hazel and spindle.
5. Installed a treecreeper box close to the hen pool

many thanks to the 16 of us today.
Bob O, Bob P, Charles, Dave H, Janet, Janette, Jim, John C, Paul M, Peter E, Ray C, Roger, Terry W, Tony B, Tony H and me
Photo's
1. the now cleared Pool and North Islands
2. hedged planted opposite bench on west track
3. spindle mostly in the area in front of the large pollarded willow west track.
4. Hawthorns on the bank next to bittern channel
5. treecreeper box

Attachments

• 1. pool and north is afta clearingDSCF5755.jpg
    1. pool and north is afta clearingDSCF5755.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 2. top track opp benchDSCF5748.jpg
    2. top track opp benchDSCF5748.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.more planting DSCF5754.jpg
    3.more planting DSCF5754.jpg
    895.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 4.west track planting DSCF5750.jpg
    4.west track planting DSCF5750.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 5.Treec box hen pool DSCF5745.jpg
    5.Treec box hen pool DSCF5745.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 88
A cold start but as the day warmed up, the BHG's took to the air hawking the emergent gnats. The Avocet flock came on to the Moors having again been disturbed by the sewage workers, but they soon returned. By the afternoon they were settled and going through their rituals. Around the moors plenty of water rail were calling and squealing in territorial disputes. The cettis , song thrush and several reed buntings were singing. A couple of waders moved through at the Flashes namely dunlin and ringed plover but dissapointingly no LRP yet. The adjacent farm (hobden hall) fields resounded to the sound of skylarks. It was good to see and hear a couple of male lapwings 'bubbling ' over their patch, these being joined by a flock that were presumably migrants. At present the North Moors is holding a pair of gadwall and a handful of teal are regularly present.
Species Counts:
Moors - GCG 6, Little grebe 5 min, Little egret 2, shelduck 7, shoveler 48, teal 12, gadwall 5 (2 prs + male), Tufted 40, coot 75, water rail 5 from causeway to east hide. lapwing 32, snipe 2, Oystercatcher 3, avocet 26 (from Flashes), green woodp, stock dove 3, collared dove, song thrush 2, cettis w 2, reed bunting 4 singing + 10 Feeding station.

North Moors - Little grebe, Gadwall pr, Teal 10, mallard 2, tufted pr, coot 2

SAILING POOL - GCG 2, little grebe, tufted 8, mallard 12, coot 8, oystercatcher 2 on pontoon. chiffchaff 2,

FLASHES - Teal 21, shoveler 18 (might be from Moors), shelduck 8 at one time (poss 9 on reserve), tufted 2, greylag 5, coot 19, little egret, Avocet 26, curlew 18, lapwing 42 (some cross over between moors), snipe 1, oystercatcher 2, dunlin, ringed plover, BHG 1600 roosted, buzzard 2, fieldfare 15, redwing 3, song thrush 2 singing, cettis w, chiffchaff 2, starling 80, goldcrest.

Des - there is a lot resting on your shoulders tomorrow as Gert has promised on Twitter "If LRP aren't displaying in the morning at #uptonwarren I'll eat me Collins Bird Guide.."

Waste of a good field guide if you ask me. Will that be red or brown sauce Herr Corfield? ;):eat:

Des - there is a lot resting on your shoulders tomorrow as Gert has promised on Twitter "If LRP aren't displaying in the morning at #uptonwarren I'll eat me Collins Bird Guide.."

Waste of a good field guide if you ask me. Will that be red or brown sauce Herr Corfield? ;):eat:

I hope there isn't one. Apparently a field guide accompanied with sauerkraut is a delicacy in Herr Corfield's household.

Des.

I hope there isn't one. Apparently a field guide accompanied with sauerkraut is a delicacy in Herr Corfield's household.

Des.

8-P Regrettably fog stopped play first thing so all bets are off - although I do love sauerkraut!

Of note in the gloom was a Little Egret in the Hen Brook on the Flashes and Chiffchaff with Cetti's competing for loudest calls...
Over to Des & co to report the first LRPs :t:

Away from UW matters but still important, I received this email from Mark Avery this morning about grouse shooting and hen harriers. If you haven't already please consider signing and voting. Thanks.

My e-petition to ban driven grouse shooting has two more weeks to run - it closes when the Westminster parliament is dissolved on 30 March.

If you are one of the 21,000+ signatories of this e-petition then 'thank you!' - together we have helped shape the agenda on grouse shooting for the future. Maybe you could do one last thing and forward this email to anyone who you think might be interested in signing too (UK citizens only).

If you think that driven grouse shooting is wonderful, and a completely sustainable land use, then don't sign this e-petition.

If you support a ban but haven't signed yet, then time is running out - why not sign now?

If you think that it's a bit complicated and that there are good things and bad things about driven grouse shooting then you are right! That's what I think too. But I also think that the 'bads' (illegal killing of protected wildlife (especially birds of prey), damage to wildlife sites through over-burning (especially of blanket bogs), increased greenhouse gas emissions (soil erosion and peat loss), increased water bills (water treatment costs due to water discolouration) and increased home insurance (because of increased flood risk)) outweigh the 'goods'. The 'goods' are economic value (easily replaced by other land uses and very small in national terms anyway), more of some ground-nesting birds (true) and protection of the uplands from 'worse' land uses (true in the past, but now most grouse moors are in national parks and/or have other wildlife and landscape designations which protect them from afforestation, wind turbines etc.). So, yes, it is complicated but that doesn't mean that there isn't a right answer!

If you aren't keen on grouse moor management but think that there are other ways forward, eg vicarious liability or licensing, then you might be right. But signing this e-petition will make it more likely that a future government will do something, rather than nothing, on this issue.

So, have a think about it, and then please sign this e-petition to ban driven grouse shooting.

Many thanks

Mark

Dr Mark Avery

PS Here's another way to highlight the plight of the Hen Harrier - vote for it in this poll of the nation's favourite birds organised by David Lindo. What a great way to raise the bird's profile!

Is it me or have the number of Dunnock increased in recent weeks. They were everywhere today, not that I'm complaining. Another notable, Chiffchaff landed on the reeds in front of the concrete hide and a small flock of Goldcrests in the wood by north moors were spooked by a greater spotted woody that id spooked. Great day though. The moors look fantastic.

Today's highlights:

Firstly, I have no information regarding a Little Stint. I was at the Flashes this evening.

MOORS:

Little Egret (4)-----------------------Oystercatcher (4)
Snipe (3)-----------------------------Lapwing (3)
Shelduck (9)-------------------------Pochard (2)
Gadwall (4)--------------------------Shoveler (54)
Tufted Duck (33)--------------------Teal (5)
Kingfisher (2)------------------------Herring Gull (3)
Fieldfare (c20)-----------------------Little Grebe (3)
G C Grebe (4)------------------------Cormorant (11)
Sparrowhawk------------------------Mute Swan (2)
Chiffchaff-----------------------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Greylag Goose (2)

FLASHES:

Avocet (22)---------------------------Dunlin (1)
Oystercatcher (2)--------------------Snipe (2)
Curlew (11)---------------------------Lapwing (6)
Shelduck (2)--------------------------Teal (10)
Shoveler (2)--------------------------Peregrine
Raven (1)-----------------------------Chiffchaff
G C Grebe (1)------------------------B H Gull (c700) including individual PA86 first seen last November.
Cetti's Warbler

ED RES/SAILING POOL:

Sand Martin--------------------------Goldcrest
Buzzard (5)--------------------------Tufted Duck (8)
G C Grebe (4)

NORTH MOORS:

Gadwall (2)--------------------------Teal (2)
Redwing (3)

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back