• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need i.d. on sparrow-like bird please (1 Viewer)

Shell

Can't seem to get an i.d. on this bird - thought it was a Song Sp. at first, then the really dark line in the throat area threw me off, then thought it was some other form of a Savannah Sp. Anyone know ? , Can you help me out with this one? In this collage I threw together, I named the sparrows that I know, only the one bird named WHAT BIRD ? is the needed i.d. Thanks if you can help.

Attachments

• 1129 sparrows.jpg
    1129 sparrows.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 398
hey CJW , thanks for taking a look. My husband & I looked that one over for quite a while. Still confused. Some of the markings just don't match up , I"m beginning to think it's a mixed species - but don't know hwat - lol.

Surely Lapland Longspur wouldn't look as empty-faced as that and would have chestnut tones.

I don't pretend to know anything about American sparrows, but it looks like a Song Sparrow to me, buy, hey, what do I know?

Jason

Hi Shell,

I would vote for SONG SPARROW for "What Bird?" However, I do not think the bird pictured in the lower right is a Song Sparrow.

Larry

Shell, does your original photo show the end of the tail? If it's rounded that would rule out Savannah Sparrow (and some others).

Jason

Hey Bluetail , thanks so much for replying. Yes, the dark rusty colored spots are missing. It's not that one. I sure have kept going back to the song sparrow, but something is just off. Thanks alot !!

Bluetail said:
Shell, does your original photo show the end of the tail? If it's rounded that would rule out Savannah Sparrow (and some others).

Jason

Hey , yes, I sure didn't mean to cut off that tail in the collage , here's the original showing the rest of it.

Attachments

• 1129 lark-song maybe.jpg
    1129 lark-song maybe.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 266
Thanks so much Larry for the vote. So what is the bird that's NOT a song in the lower right ? LOL - tell me !

Thanks, Shell, and ouch! Learning curve for me here. That tail looks distincly notched to me and I'm under the impression that should rule out Song Sparrow. Larry, you know about these things - help me out here!

I'm wondering about Vesper Sparrow now, though I've never seen one, so should probably shut up.

Jason

Could that dark mark on "What Bird" be a shadow of one of the stems of the sunflower stalk the bird is perched in?

I would agree with Logos that the bird in the lower right is a Swamp Sparrow.

Larry

The things that suggest Lincoln's to me are the very neat fine streaks on the breast and flanks, the buffy wash underlying these and the fine looking bill - I can't easily reconcile any of these features with Song Sparrow and the spot in the centre of the breast doesn't look as prominent as it does in most Song Sparrows.

However, the head pattern looks a bit striking for a Lincoln's and the sub-moustachial stripe looks rather white.

It's got to be one or other of these though, I'd say.

Spud

Added: the curved dark line across the neck side is a shadow.

Last edited:
I was thinking that about the shadow. Shade and light might account for head pattern. I've run into a few Song or three and this just doesn't remind me of one.... it does give off vague hints of Baird's Sparrow. Mostly its reminded me that I am hellishly rusty on American Sparrows. Time to do some homework

Could I suggest a Chipping Sparrow? Head pattern fits the adult summer bird but chest pattern fits the Juvenile. Could this be a bird betwixt and between these two plumages?

CJW said:
Hi Shell, it's only a guess but your bird reminds me of a Lapland Bunting (Longspur)

Lapland! Problem is where was it photographed! USA! No clues? Or extracted from a website:-(((
Santa claus is a coming ;)

IH

First of all, there is a wide variation in the plumages of both the Song and the Savannah Sparrows which are found in North America. I am proceeding with my evaluations of these photos using my knowledge of these species with which I am most familiar, i.e. birds found here in the midwest. I am not as conversant with the forms of these birds as they are found on the coasts.

A Savannah does have a notched tail, but it would be shorter than the tail of the bird in question. A Savannah would also not show the reddish coloration on the wing (the primary and greater wing coverts) as this bird shows and which is consistent with Song Sparrow. I do not believe this bird has a notched tail either, it is just that the feathers of the tail are spread to maybe give the "notched" appearance. A Lincoln's Sparrow would have finer streaks on the breast and the orangish color would be more pronounced and cover a little more area. Also a Lincoln's would have a shorter tail than this bird.

That is my evaluation. Larry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back