• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plastic Great White Egret (1 Viewer)

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
Further to the earlier report of Great White Egret in Suffolk, birders should note that the large egret viewable on a small pool from the Needham Market-Stowmarket train is in fact plastic. :-O Does it mean it's a real Great White Egret but thought to be an escape with more rings than Mr T, or is really just an ornamental jobbie? LOL

Last edited:
It is indeed 'plastic' in the 'not moving, never moved' sense of the word but was reported as a 'possible' earlier in the day and posted by RBA & Birdguides albeit with qualifying (?). Hopefully the announcement will avoid any future reports.

Reminds me of the Night Heron twitch some years ago down near Dunge. The bird was stock still in the tree until someone got close enough to realise that it was nailed to the branch! Nice little practical joke at the twitcher's expense...;)

Reminds me of the Night Heron twitch some years ago down near Dunge. The bird was stock still in the tree until someone got close enough to realise that it was nailed to the branch! Nice little practical joke at the twitcher's expense...;)
haha, it's all very well that's exactly what the bird would be doing anyway. someone's laughing somewhere.

Does that mean I have to un-tick the Norwegian Blue Parrot?

There are a couple of "white egrets" in a tree at WWT Slimbridge. These are plastic and VERY white. The idea is to try to get Little Egrets to roost there on view from the hide and maybe eventually breed since there are many in the estuary area. It is amazing how many people look at them in the distance and ask about them. It doesn't occur to these people that they do not move!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back