• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wagtail ID (1 Viewer)

dylan

United Kingdom
Sorry if this is a bit of a simple one!
I thought they were juvenile Pied Wagtails but I'm not absolutely sure.
I saw a few of them by the coast in Weswood Ho!,Devon.

Cheers,
Dylan

Attachments

• dm_notsure.jpg
    dm_notsure.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 355
Correct.

Notice that all of the feathers of the wing are fresh and of the same age. The tail is still growing and all of the feathers are of the same length. Adults, unless they have lost the whole tail somehow, grow new feathers in sequence so there is normall y a contrast between old and worn and newer. shorter and fresher feathers.

Juvenile Pied Wagtails are frequently misidentified as White Wagtails. It's just possible to see the distinctive head and breast pattern of a juvenile in this pic too, and the pale flange on the gape is also a good clue to a very young bird.

MV

Thanks for the confirmation Malvolio, I really appreciate it, great info about the feathers too!:t:
It was the gape that made me think it was juvenile. There were no adult birds nearby so I wasn't 100% sure what type of Wagtail.

Thanks again.

Dylan.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back