• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just for fun - try to identify this one (1 Viewer)

Jviana

Common bird in Portugal.
I have another photo with the bird looking to the right.
I will post it later

Attachments

• dscn3144.jpg
    dscn3144.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 330
I'd agree with CJW and Edward, it looks like Black-shouldered Kite. I was almost thrown by the lack of perspective with the plant behind, but it's the only thing like that in the guide I could find with such long, pointed wings in proportion to the tail, and white fringing on the mantle feathers. Having a black-shoulder also helps, I guess.

A fair bit darker than our Black-shouldered Kite, though.

My first impression also was Black Shouldered Kite, but I don't think it is common anywhere. Also, I wonder if the perch it's on is strong enough to hold a Black-Shouldered Kite.

However, if it isn't a B-S Kite, then I'm stuck

It look like a B-s kite to me (juvenile). The comment "common bird in Portugal" throws me slightly as I don't think you could describe them as common.

Hi all,
Despite thinking that it was a passerine or sub-passerine at first glance,I would agree that it most resembles a Black-shouldered Kite,which I wouldn't have called common.
Harry

I've heard Black-shouldered Kites are really increasing in Iberia and are not as rare as suggested in Collins for example. What is common in a country Portugal's size? They are conspicuous birds and perhaps locally common along the Spanish border. Over to you Jose, how common are they?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back