• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (2 Viewers)

Plenty of local Quail about again (inc some just in Notts) with birds calling at Elton again as last year. Not been there again yet this year and I understand the lupin crop has gone.

Plenty of local Quail about again (inc some just in Notts) with birds calling at Elton again as last year. Not been there again yet this year and I understand the lupin crop has gone.

Yes no Lupins this year. The last time I was there, about 2 weeks ago,the cerial fields were not grown up enough, so good to hear they are back.

Yes sure - All courtesy of Bird Guides

13:01 05/06/11 Quail Notts Mansfield Woodhouse 04/06/11 singing yesterday off Penniment Lane at SK507628

09:40 05/06/11 Quail Notts Kilvington 09:30
one still singing at the lakes
10:45 04/06/11 Quail Notts Mansfield 10:15
male singing at Penniment Bungalow Farm northwest of Mansfield mid-morning
07:37 04/06/11 Quail Notts Kilvington 06:20
one calling from watchpoint early morning
12:19 03/06/11 Quail Notts Kilvington 11:30
one heard from the view point for the last two mornings
07:50 02/06/11 Quail Notts Mansfield 21:30 01/06/11
two males singing in fields at Penniment Bungalow Farm late evening yesterday
16:41 01/06/11 Quail Notts Mansfield 16:30
male singing in field opposite Penniment Bungalow Farm
11:38 22/05/11 Quail Notts Barton in Fabis 10:15
male singing briefly at 10:15 at Clifton Grove, in field behind Barton Flash

Wyver Lane Bird Notes May 2011

Highlights include Marsh Harrier, Red Kite, Green Sandpiper
Grasshopper Warbler and Cuckoo.

There were two new additions to the year this month taking
the figure for the year to 107 species. This is already two more
than last years 105.

May's maximum counts include 2 Cormorants on several dates.
A maximum of 2 Grey Herons. 2 Mute Swans seen on and off
throughout the month. 43 Greylag Geese on 27th, 58 Canada
Geese on 28th. A Barnacle Goose on 9th and 10th. A Greylag
Canada Goose hybrid on 10th. 2 Shelduck on 22nd, then 2
from 26th and were still there at the end of the month. A pair
of Mandarin seen on several dates including a female entering
an Owl box. 2 Teal on the 2nd and 3rd, pair of Shoveler all
month. 4 Tufted Duck on 17th and 21st. 8 Goosander on 27th.

The 13th was an exceptional day for Raptors. Just after 10.00hrs
a Marsh Harrier was seen flying in from the north and slowly
drifted south over the reserve. At nearby Ambergate 2 Red Kites
were seen and one of these birds were seen from Wyver.
A little later in the day the first Hobby of the year was seen, as
were 2 Sparrowhawks. Other Raptors were 4 Buzzards on 10th,
12th and 13th. A male Peregrine on 12th and regular Kestrel
sightings.

2 Oystercatchers on many dates and 3 on 17th and 30th.
8 Lapwings on 2nd and 24th. A Green Sandpiper on 2nd and
3rd. A Common Sandpiper on 1st and 2 Curlew on 28th.

5 Black-headed Gulls on 12th, 17th and 28th. 7 Lesser-Black
backed Gulls over on 12th. 4 Stock Doves on 26th, a Cuckoo
on 13th, 110 Swifts on 30th, 6 Sand Martins on 7th, 30+
Swallows on 7th, c80 House Martins on 30th. 2 Great Spotted
Woodpeckers on 26th, 2 Grey Wagtails on 9th and 10th, the pair
of Redstarts still remain near Wyver Woods on 21st, 2 Mistle
Thrush on 17th and 28th. A Grasshopper Warbler on 14th, 4
Sedge Warbler on 17th and 26th, a Lesser Whitethroat on 9th
17th and 27th. 5 Whitethroat on 7th, A Garden Warbler on 17th,
3 Blackcaps on 7th, a Willow Warbler on 3rd and 17th and 6 Chiff
Chaffs on 28th.

9 Long-Tailed Tits on 26th, 4 Magpies on 8th, 42 Jackdaw on 17th.
13 Rook on 7th, a Greenfinch on 17th and 28th, 4 Goldfinches on
17th, a Linnet on 26th, 2 Bullfinch on 21st and 4 Reed Buntings on
26th and 30th.

had a text this morning to say there was a brief RR Swallow at Ogston - worth keeping an eye out with these hirundine flocks.

Had a chap in the wildlife centre claim one at Carsi today, said he'd been watching it while I was showing some children the lapwing chicks, so he kept it to himself until after it was out of view (!!!).
It was one of those casual reports that don't fill you with absolute confidence and I wouldn't normally post about it, but with the bird at Oggie I thought I'd mention the coincidence. Two hours of searching I found nothing in the flocks.

What I DID see were regulars, the BTD, 2 LRPs, 2 RCP, and er... PT (for pintail?).

Had a chap in the wildlife centre claim one at Carsi today, said he'd been watching it while I was showing some children the lapwing chicks, so he kept it to himself until after it was out of view (!!!).
It was one of those casual reports that don't fill you with absolute confidence and I wouldn't normally post about it, but with the bird at Oggie I thought I'd mention the coincidence. Two hours of searching I found nothing in the flocks.

What I DID see were regulars, the BTD, 2 LRPs, 2 RCP, and er... PT (for pintail?).

Any idea what time the Swallow was supposed to have been seen at Carsi? The one at Oggie flew South West at 11.10.

Interesting reading about the Peregrines in Derby. Whilst the young were being ringed on the 30th the remains of a Budgie were found which is a new species for the Derby birds. Also found recently was Cuckoo (the second time Cuckoo has bee recorded), Redshank, Blackbird, Starling, Lapwing and the usual Pigeons. The week before the remains of Golden Plover and Collared Dove were found.

Went up to Carr Vale for the Great White Egret this afternoon. Despite the very poor weather we was surprised how few birders that were actually there. In fact, when we arrived there was only 3 cars and they left as we arrived. So we got to the mound to find it empty and the Egret sitting out in view.

I managed to get a dodgy record shot despite the constant heavy rain and the optics continually steaming up. At on point it had a brief fly around to another pool and then disappeared. We thought it might have gone but it returned after we left.

Attachments

• SNV36226.jpg
    SNV36226.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 60
Went up to Carr Vale with Clive for another look at the GWE. Much better viewing conditions than yesterday enabled me to get a marginally better photo. Also a female Yellow Wagtail amongst the other stuff.

We had a while on Beeley and was quite shocked to have a Woodcock fly right past us. This was at 15.10hrs in bright sunshine. Also a Hobby was present.

A bit of stuff at Wyver too. Pair of Shelduck, pr of Shoveler which if you believe what you read in the log book have 5 young....if only, 2 drake Gadwall, 25+ young Greylags, 3 Buzzards, 2 Oystercatchers, 2 Raven over, a Willow Tit near the mound, Garden Warbler, 5+ Whitethroat and a Goldcrest.

I also got a site tick today. Not a bird but a Hare on the old tip field. I was surprised at how obliging it was. It sat down among the nettles and stingers around 20 yards away.

Attachments

• SNV36261.jpg
    SNV36261.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 66
  • SNV36250.jpg
    SNV36250.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 61
Great White Egret

Not heard any news today, but the GWE was still present yesterday morning (Tues) at Carr Vale, showing well on the fishing pond before being flushed by a Heron & flying further away onto the middle pond.

Attachments

• IMG_0416-Edit.jpg
    IMG_0416-Edit.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0426-Edit.jpg
    IMG_0426-Edit.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back