• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (3 Viewers)

Good pictures knotsbirder, I must have been to sleep since you asked me re re-sizing pictures, was that long ago, just can't remember it? Can you remind me please?

Cheers
Nick

Sorry about that! For some reason I seemed to think it was you, thinking about it it was another fella called Mark or something like that, I usually good at remembering things........ |:$|

Apologies! Sam

Following a text from Dave re another sighting of Black Stork locally, I did a bit of digging and found out that Ken Smith has had it over his Mums in Two Dales this afternoon, took some photos of it and watched it drift towards Winster.

So, we either have a national rarity roaming Derbyshires countryside still or an escapee from a well known local collection.

Thoughts?

Following a text from Dave re another sighting of Black Stork locally, I did a bit of digging and found out that Ken Smith has had it over his Mums in Two Dales this afternoon, took some photos of it and watched it drift towards Winster.

So, we either have a national rarity roaming Derbyshires countryside still or an escapee from a well known local collection.

Thoughts?

Either way Dan its good at hiding! For a big obvious bird its evading us well....

I wonder now about last years mid summer record..... same bird returning to a "good" area rather than an escape.......

ATB

Steph'

Sorry about that! For some reason I seemed to think it was you, thinking about it it was another fella called Mark or something like that, I usually good at remembering things........ |:$|

Apologies! Sam

No problem Sam always happy to help, thought I was getting old as I was forgetting things :t:

Cheers
Nick

I have never seen a Quail and am in the Peak District this weekend. I tried for the ones at Pikehall this morning but could not even hear any. Has anyone been to look for them or know exactly where they are? Are they north or south of the road.

Many thanks,

Oliver

I have never seen a Quail and am in the Peak District this weekend. I tried for the ones at Pikehall this morning but could not even hear any. Has anyone been to look for them or know exactly where they are? Are they north or south of the road.

Many thanks,

Oliver

SK181594 is the grid reference for the Pikehall birds, so south of the road where it crosses the High Peak Trail . Your chances of seeing one are next to zero though.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Have the observers elimated the possiblity of Sacred Ibis? As a possible confusion species, I ask because we in Cheshire have at least three birds wandering around the county.

CB

I don't suppose anyone knows whereabouts at Locko Park the Spotted Flycatcher are or where there are some as I have tried all the local sites without success.

Thanks, Sam

Dipped on the Pikehall Quail yesterday despite there being 3 birds present recently. We gave it a good hour but heard nothing in favourable conditions. We did get 4 juvenile Yellow Wagtails though, also lots of Swallows including juvs, 5 Whitethroats, and many Linnets.

We also got another 6+ Yellow Wags in a field heading back towards Elton. Loads of LBB Gulls, BH Gulls, Curlews and Lapwings.

We then went for Nightjars and wasn't disappointed. We got there about 20.45 and it wasn't long before we got roding Woodcock. A Hobby was hunting over the plantation at 21.35. Two Tree Pipits were singing nearby and a flock of 13 Mistle Thrush flying about. And several more Woodcock sightings were made.

At 21.15 and still very light a Nightjar started churring nearby. We heard it churring again several more times until eventually a male flew low over the trees and over the path towards a second clearing. A few minutes later it flew back over some trees and right towards us. This was still in good light and the best views I've had of Nightjar. We then had it perched up briefly enabling us to get even better views although by this time the light was fading. We called it a day and again had another view of one flying right past us as we were leaving.

Last edited:
Was chatting about the Black Stork yesterday, over a curry, with the original finder of this years bird... after confirming that Blackbrook reports no missing birds we discussed why the bird is soooooo hard to find. It appears from checking BStork in the breeding season can be surprisingly hard to see so I suspect its been in the area in the intervening period, just playing hard to get!

ATB

Steph'

Dave inspired me to go and look for the local Nightjars last night, as I thought the weather would stay warm......so with just light clothing 3 of us visited and found a pair fairly quickly. The male was churring from some trees running alongside a newly felled area, and then we had him in flight. Lots of Woodcock, 3 Tree Pipit, Jay, Mistles etc

Glyn and Mark ambled down after a while, so whispering went out the window......

Then the rain came - bugger! curtailed the evening somewhat but nice to know they are still hanging on round here. Had a soggy wander back dodging the piles of dog sh*t some lazy tw*ts cant be ars*d to pick up.

A nice toad when the rain came too. The area looks really good for them to be fair. Much easier in Notts tho for anyone not familiar with Derbyshire birds - Budby, Pumping Station etc. These will be kept very quiet as they could well be the last pair for mid Derbys.

For those still Quail hunting............

08:39 29/06/11 Quail Derbys Pikehall three singing in field adjacent to high peak trail path at c.SK181594

Users who are viewing this thread

Back