• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2012 UK Orchid season updates (1 Viewer)

To avoid raising expectations I would clarify that the pictures above weren't taken at Wye Downs - and we didn't have time to check if any were in flower yet there.

Rich M

Obviously giving exact locations is not on here but the eastern plants flower earlier than Wye Sean - heard you may be visiting Kent Tues, if so contact me if you need gen

Bluebell Hill - no Pyramidals yet

Today's general tour:

A few hundred Lady Orchids

One Early Purple still in flower

40+ White Helleborines

30+ Greater Butterflies

115 Monkey Orchids ( not a thorough search )

From 20 year's searching this year is way late for many species

Rest of the day spent looking for insects in sub optimum conditions

Regards

James

Man orchids looking good at Warwickshire site today along with greater butterfly, common spotted and twayblade. Couldn't find bee orchid though. Can anyone recommend a good site near or not too far from Solihull for burnt orchid?

Coral roots

plenty of coral roots still at Sandscale - also northern Marsh, common spotted and lots of wierd and wonderful crosses in flower - very magenta flowers, very heavy spotted leaves, almost black leaves, etc. Also spotted some healthy looking dune helebore stems - which will be worth going back for in about a month

Attachments

• coral root orchid 2s.jpg
    coral root orchid 2s.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 66
plenty of coral roots still at Sandscale - also northern Marsh, common spotted and lots of wierd and wonderful crosses in flower - very magenta flowers, very heavy spotted leaves, almost black leaves, etc. Also spotted some healthy looking dune helebore stems - which will be worth going back for in about a month

Ah good timing! I was wondering if it was worth going there or not on Wednesday. I think you have justmade up my mind for me!

I went over to fairly local fen on Saturday to see columbines really but was please to see the new sub species of Southern marsh flowering beautifully in the fen. This used to be pugsleys but recent research has shown that the east anglian and many southern examples are actually a sub species of Southern Marsh orchids. The fen holds a very nice collection of these plants. There were a couple of early marsh orchids growing there too.

There was also a chap from the wildlife trust who was doing a bit of research on that population and it was he who confirmed the plants identity to me.

Strange Bee Orchids

Found some weird and wonderful Bee's today, photos of three of the plants attached. Bee3 is only part open at the moment but it's going to be at least as strange as Bee1.

Hope you like them
Alan

Attachments

• Bee1.jpg
    Bee1.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Bee2 first flower a.jpg
    Bee2 first flower a.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Bee2 first flower b.jpg
    Bee2 first flower b.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Bee2 second flower.jpg
    Bee2 second flower.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Bee3.jpg
    Bee3.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 46
Found some weird and wonderful Bee's today, photos of three of the plants attached. Bee3 is only part open at the moment but it's going to be at least as strange as Bee1.

Hope you like them
Alan

One more for good measure.

Alan

Attachments

• Bee4.jpg
    Bee4.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 51
Peak District Updates

Hi everyone, just thought i would share a few quick updates on the Orchid state of play in the Peak District. For those of you unaware i am now in the third year of a comprehensive surveying scheme for the Peak's Orchids. Thanks to those of you who attended my last lecture on my findings so far. For those of you interested i will be presenting the talk again (with updates!) for the Cheadle Botanical Society on Friday 15th june. It will be held in the Cheadle Guildhall, Staffordshire Moorlands and begins at 7.30pm. E-mail me if you would like more info!

EARLY PURPLE ORCHIDS

Peaked three weeks ago.
A magnificent display at some sites, and appauling at others, mostly in the more exposed locations.
Alba's have cropped up at three sites this year:
Brassington Moor x1
Long Dale, Hartington x1
Cressbrook Dale, St. Peter's Rock x8

GREEN WINGED ORCHID

I have visited all four historically recorded sites (Middleton, Ible, Carsington, Rose End) this year to no avail.

BURNT ORCHID

Peaked last week.
At the main site i made a reasonable count of 196.
At the second site (which i only visited today) i counted only 15. A friend who visited last week counted 80, so i may have not been in the same area as her or the hoards of cows in the field may have eaten a large proportion!

BIRDS NEST ORCHID

Peaking this week.
Coming into bloom at all three sites now (Manifold, Wye & Lathkill Valleys) though in smaller numbers at the first two sites that in previous years.

FLY ORCHID

Peaking this week.
A good display at the main Peak sites. More impressive (to me anyway) is my discovery after days of exploration of three new sites around the Via Gellia including a further one where they have not been recorded in 30 years.
At the two main sites counts are 45 and 101.

- - - Plea for Help - - -

If anyone has any information on the Lesser Twayblade site in Snake Pass could you please let me know, as i do not know the exact location so my searches will probably have less chance of succeeding that a needle in a haystack.

And apologies for any spelling mistakes, i am typing this quickly before i head off to Kent for 4 days at 6am!

All the best, Byron.

Hope you like them
Alan

Alan

The first flower on Bee 2 is some sort of peloric - it hasn't got any petals and seems to have a lip that is half lip and half sepal. The second flower has quite sepaloid petals.

Bee3 looks like a var flavescens.

Rich M
PS can you PM me some directions, assuming you are not at the other end of the country.

Heath Spotted variation

I visited the local bog today to check out the Southern Marsh ssp schoenophila. This wet site holds good numbers of Heath Spotted orchids, the vast majority of which are basically white flowered with just a few pale purple flecks and dashes.

Today I found a few that were more heavily pigmented, as well as a nice all white var leucantha.

I also found a couple of odd looking plants that seemed to be hybrids, but I'll have to post the pics in another message as only 5 attachments are allowed.

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV30453.JPG
    SNV30453.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 43
  • SNV30480.JPG
    SNV30480.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 42
  • SNV30483.JPG
    SNV30483.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 37
  • SNV30460.JPG
    SNV30460.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 35
Dact hybrids

I'm not sure if the first one is a hybrid or just a very odd looking Heath Spotted. It certainly looked very odd in the field and I wondered if it could conceivably be a hybrid between Heath Spotted (the spotted leaves) and Southern Marsh ssp schoenophila (the weedy stature, the projecting central lobe on the lip and the odd patterning).

I thought the second was a Southern Marsh type at first but the leaves have very faint spots that are hardly noticeable in the field.

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_5505.JPG
    IMG_5505.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 38
  • SNV30476.JPG
    SNV30476.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 38
Found some weird and wonderful Bee's today
Hope you like them
Alan

Not quite as weird and wonderful as yours, Alan, but here's a few I came across today.

Rog

Attachments

• Bee Orchid variant 4.jpg
    Bee Orchid variant 4.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Bee Orchid variant 6.jpg
    Bee Orchid variant 6.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 45
  • Bee orchid variant 7.jpg
    Bee orchid variant 7.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 95
Not quite as weird and wonderful as yours, Alan, but here's a few I came across today.

Rog

First looks good for var. belgarum. The second hasn't twisted round in the normal fashion; preventing the apex of the lip to fold under. The third looks like it could've been a munched off var. flavescens.

Mike.

Thanks Guys,

I was hoping for photos of var. clorantha that regularly occur at the site, but it looks like they're still in bud.

There's pics of some of the other variants, Mike, over on WAB in the "Flower of the Day" thread.

Cheers,
Rog

Amazing sight of what must be at least 200 Greater Butterfly Orchids at a site near Stroud this weekend - on a very good little guided Orchid Walk, that my Mum spotted in the local rag.

Also large numbers of White Helleborines, several Bird's Nests, and a lot of Common Spotted and Fragrants just coming into flower and thousands of Twayblades all at the same location.

Also some Adder's Tongue Ferns

Originally Posted by rmielcarek
In deepest Zummerzet the Fly x Bees are coming into flower - counted 24 today which is a new record - and there were a couple of extra probables still in bud.
Quite a variable bunch, including this rather narrow bodied specimen.
Rich M

Hi there, over 30 FlyBee when we visited last week, also a few Fly & Bee. Oddly I have not been able to find any Bee yet in Dorset. Further up the 303 we went to see the Burnt tip, I did get my car stuck on the track so beware anyone who drives up there. We did see this var ochroleuca there thanks to Alan.

Attachments

• Burnt-tip_opt.jpg
    Burnt-tip_opt.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Burnt-ochroleuca_opt.jpg
    Burnt-ochroleuca_opt.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 87
Went down to the river Avon north of Christchurch, yesterday to check the Marsh orchids. Early marsh already going over & Southern just coming out, lots of hybrids & even a poss Leopard, except the markings should become solid & not broken.

Attachments

• Early-marsh_opt.jpg
    Early-marsh_opt.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 62
  • Early-X-Southern-hybrid_opt.jpg
    Early-X-Southern-hybrid_opt.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 64
  • Early-X-Southern2-hybrid_op.jpg
    Early-X-Southern2-hybrid_op.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 57
  • poss-leopard_opt.jpg
    poss-leopard_opt.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 67
Fly x Bee Hybrids

Some of my photos from Saturday despite awful conditions (persistent wind, low light and rain!) Lots of Bee orchids coming out there now and a few Fly still about - easy to see how they hybridised here. Also plenty of Pyramidal orchids and Common Broomrape.

Mike.

Attachments

• IMG_4185.JPG
    IMG_4185.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4192.JPG
    IMG_4192.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4209.JPG
    IMG_4209.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4272.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4369.JPG
    IMG_4369.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 83
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back