• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch 2014 (1 Viewer)

This is a difficult question and I tend to think that if its a problem individual then removal may be the answer, but if its normal behaviour throughout the population its probably wrong.

To put it another way, on a reserve, where one of the objectives is to show people particular wildlife as well as to preserve it for its own sake, it may be necessary to either redesign the landscape to exclude something (hard with an expert digger and more or less competent climber like a Badger) or control the problem animals. However, the preserved animals in turn need to learn e.g. nest site selection that will work on or off the reserve: its no good wrapping them in cotton wool.

Probably better heads than mine are needed to get the balance right.

John

The joke by Chris about exaggerating a certain part in Martin's anatomy at the end of last week...was a bit risque. He drew Martin out somewhere with a rather big middle bit and today you had the joke about Hazel's undertail coverts which he emphasized. How suitable is it for a family show? Makes me wonder if he is not coming back after this series and just saying what he wants within limits of course!

Martin's comment about hoping the Parakeet on his shoulder was a girl with a grimace might be taken as a bit homophobic by some? That was at the end. I watched it on IPlayer and had to rewind it a little bit because I could not believe I had heard that and just sounded a bit anti-equal opportunities to me.

Chill out Himalaya, it's only a bit of harmless fun. I am sure no-one took any offence and it was laughed at by all concerned.

Well that's it… all over… what am I going to do with my evenings now? Get in more reading and watch the occasional BBC4 docu. I suppose!

As far as I'm concerned this year's series was superb! Great location and some cracking species and behaviour. And they even managed to cram some fantastic Hawfinches in too!

Well that's it… all over… what am I going to do with my evenings now? Get in more reading and watch the occasional BBC4 docu. I suppose!

As far as I'm concerned this year's series was superb! Great location and some cracking species and behaviour. And they even managed to cram some fantastic Hawfinches in too!

I suggest Nightjar, Woodcock, various bats, Stag Beetle and other crepuscular species now that you're not glued to the TV. Get out and see some wildlife live!

John

I thought the whole series of Springwatch 2014 was good. Varied subjects were covered and also some feedback on items previously covered on Autumnwatch etc.

If I was to be picky I would have liked more coverage on the Ringed Plovers and Stone Curlews. I would have also liked to see some footage of Bearded Tit's which hardly got a mention during the three weeks.

I suppose the series has to appeal to everyone but there were several bird species that were barely covered however perhaps they will have a chance if the BBC return to Minsmere in the future.

Suffolk (and Norfolk) is a superb area of the country for wildlife in general so thanks to the BBC for all the hard work in getting the programme out especially the film crews for some fantastic views of wildlife that I can only dream of seeing myself.

My favourites of the series were the Bitterns - awesome!

I didn't watch Unsprung as I do not like the programme for some of the reasons stated by others in this thread. Nick Baker is no doubt a talent but I don't think Unsprung showed him at his best.

Last edited:
I suppose the series has to appeal to everyone but there were several bird species that were barely covered however perhaps they will have a chance if the BBC return to Minsmere in the future.
I think I heard that Springwatch will be coming from Minsmere for the next two years. If that is true, it will be good to have some new birds to cover in future series.

I believe they tried to get cameras on Bearded Tit and Marsh Harrier nests this year but failed - yet more possible content for future programmes.

Ron

I thought the whole series of Springwatch 2014 was good. Varied subjects were covered and also some feedback on items previously covered on Autumnwatch etc.

If I was to be picky I would have liked more coverage on the Ringed Plovers and Stone Curlews. I would have also liked to see some footage of Bearded Tit's which hardly got a mention during the three weeks.

Suffolk (and Norfolk) is a superb area of the country for wildlife in general so thanks to the BBC for all the hard work in getting the programme out especially the film crews for some fantastic views of wildlife that I can only dream of seeing myself.

My favourites of the series were the Bitterns - awesome!

I didn't watch Unsprung as I do not like the programme for some of the reasons stated by others in this thread. Nick Baker is no doubt a talent but I don't think Unsprung showed him at his best.
I would also have liked to have seen some live pictures of the Woodlark nesting, as they are also a rare bird. Also the BBC Springwatch never showed Marsh Harriers nesting. At the moment the RSPB Leighton Moss webcam is showing Marsh Harriers nesting, which is at least something that the BBC Springwatch didn't show.
Ian.

I would also have liked to have seen some live pictures of the Woodlark nesting, as they are also a rare bird. Also the BBC Springwatch never showed Marsh Harriers nesting. At the moment the RSPB Leighton Moss webcam is showing Marsh Harriers nesting, which is at least something that the BBC Springwatch didn't show.
Ian.
The trouble is, they have to try to predict where the birds will nest. They can't just find an existing nest and plonk a camera there. They explained that they were unlucky with the Marsh Harriers this year and mentioned the Leighton Moss webcam during a programme.

Ron

I think I heard that Springwatch will be coming from Minsmere for the next two years. If that is true, it will be good to have some new birds to cover in future series.

I believe they tried to get cameras on Bearded Tit and Marsh Harrier nests this year but failed - yet more possible content for future programmes.

Ron

Chris slipped up saying that they would look further at [something] next year, so rumour control is probably right in this case. I am left looking forward to next year's Springwatch, but where will they be in the autumn....?

John

Would anyone welcome an overseas location? I know it's supposed to be a celebration of British wildlife and encourage people out to see wildlife, but what about setting up for a couple of weeks somewhere else in Europe?

Would anyone welcome an overseas location? I know it's supposed to be a celebration of British wildlife and encourage people out to see wildlife, but what about setting up for a couple of weeks somewhere else in Europe?

Its a good question, well put.

Coast has made the transition effortlessly. I enjoyed the European series. Not so gripped by the Oz one though.

I think Eurowatch could well be a runner. How would you select locations? One way might be to go for places British people are already visiting in large numbers and could identify with, such as the Balearics. Perhaps not Malta though ;)

The next thing on here must surely be to compile a list of possibilities. I would like to see Martin HG wrestling with a Finnish Brown Bear......

John

I'd quite fancy spring in Iceland. Imagine the scenery - volcanoes, waterfalls, glaciers, and then all the seabirds plus the likes of gyr falcons and all the cetaceans. They could visit Surtsey to see how the ecology of the island has developed since the island first emerged.

And have an outside broadcast in Greenland too...

Problem with Springwatch is that it may finish before chicks hatch in Iceland.

I'd quite fancy spring in Iceland. Imagine the scenery - volcanoes, waterfalls, glaciers, and then all the seabirds plus the likes of gyr falcons and all the cetaceans. They could visit Surtsey to see how the ecology of the island has developed since the island first emerged.

And have an outside broadcast in Greenland too...

Chris Packham was at Leighton Moss doing guided nature tours there on Thursday Friday - maybe there again?

Chris slipped up saying that they would look further at [something] next year, so rumour control is probably right in this case. I am left looking forward to next year's Springwatch, but where will they be in the autumn....?

John

A very big and complex debate. I would not consider that Minsmere is a zoo but like many nature reserves they are created rather than conserved, as Chris Packham even said. I am not in favour of predator control but then again I do not know what would happen if no predators were controlled. Would we lose some species totally? How did they manage in the past?

You're saying that Minsmere isn't already a zoo?! It's an artificial pond, designed by a draughtsman, created from nothing, with the water controlled by pumps and sluices, and a (supposedly) predator-proof fence around it! They already control other predators (hundreds of corvids, foxes and gulls at various reserves).

Yes, Avocets are increasing, but so are Badgers (very large increase). But Black-headed Gulls are Amber-listed becasue they are declining. So they do need any help they can get.

If there's no argument for controlling that badger (the birds 'don't need it'), then is there any argument for controlling any other predator (foxes) at Minsmere or other reserves, or having the fence or the scrape at all?

But if there is an argument for controlling foxes or crows to limit predation, then wouldn't that argument apply to that individual Badger too, which is a member of a common and increasing species and was emptying nests of Amber-listed birds at the rate of one per minute? If not, I'd be interested to hear why...

I think Eurowatch could well be a runner. How would you select locations? One way might be to go for places British people are already visiting in large numbers and could identify with, such as the Balearics. Perhaps not Malta though ;)

With Antoine de Caunes replacing Chris Packham for all the risque bits? ... hmmmm

John

Perhaps featuring Peep-peep and Hoo-poo? (for those who remember Eurotrash's giraffes)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back