• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Few Moths for ID Please (1 Viewer)

Thanks again, David - much appreciated.

Left with this 'Motley Crew' of unidentified, mainly tiny micros, from the weekend - if any are identifiable to species any help would be welcome.

1. looks like Horse Chestnut Leaf-miner?
2-5. can't put a name on any...

I had what looked like a Diamond-back Moth in the garden earlier on my Buddleia - UK moths details 'often abundant migrant at coastal locations' so I'm assuming this is likely, even this far inland?

Agree with 1 and 2 could be a Bud Moth. Very variable.

Shit load of Diamond backeds around right now so I reckon you're in with a shout with that species :t:

Agree with 1 and 2 could be a Bud Moth. Very variable.

Shit load of Diamond backeds around right now so I reckon you're in with a shout with that species :t:

Cheers Andy, yeh Bud Moth was the closest match I could get to it. Thanks for the info on Diamond-backeds, could only have been that species. Looking at my two 'mystery' moths on post #80 I'm thinking, after another look, they might now be:

1. Uncertain / Rustic?
2. Maybe a worn Wormwood Pug (or still a worn Freyer's...)

Not sure if 3-5 from post 79 have been done but I would favour Case-bearing Clothes Moth.

Yes to Uncertain/Rustic and Wormwood Pug.

All the best

Not sure if 3-5 from post 79 have been done but I would favour Case-bearing Clothes Moth.

Yes to Uncertain/Rustic and Wormwood Pug.

All the best

Cheers Paul - no hadn't had any suggestions for 3-5, so had assumed (until now) that they were unidentifiable! Many thanks for confirming the two macros as well.

Off on holiday early Monday, so I'll leave everyone in peace for almost two weeks...but until then I've got a fair few from the last few nights I'm still struggling to pin down 100%:

1+2. Common Footman?
3. Apple Leaf Miner?
4+5. Are these both oddly marked Brown House Moth?

Attachments

• IMG_1515.JPG
    IMG_1515.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1517.JPG
    IMG_1517.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1527.JPG
    IMG_1527.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 19
And these I'm really struggling to put a name to at all...

1. A pale scop but not sure which.
2,3+4. Really struggling but 2. looks distinctive enough.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1503.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1525.JPG
    IMG_1525.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1528.JPG
    IMG_1528.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 21
For me:-

First Post
1 & 2. Dingy Footman
3. Agreed
4. Blastobasis adustella
5. I would presume Blastobasis adustella

Second Post
1. I am best ignored on Scoparids but I would say Dipleurina lacustrata
2. Paronix sp. of which the commonest is perhaps angelicella
3. Bactra sp. - a tortrix perhaps lancealana
4. Phyllonorycter sp. - again a gendet/detailed examination required I suspect

All the best

Last edited:
For me:-

First Post
1 & 2. Dingy Footman
3. Agreed
4. Blastobasis adustella
5. I would presume Blastobasis adustella

Second Post
1. I am best ignored on Scoparids but I would say Dipleurina lacustrata
2. Paronix sp. of which the commonest is perhaps angelicella
3. Bactra sp. - a tortrix perhaps lancealana
4. Phyllonorycter sp. - again a gendet/detailed examination required I suspect

All the best

Cheers Paul - I'd excluded Dingy Footman based more on habitat (damp woods and fens?) than appearance, glad I put those photos on now!

Just a couple more from late July that I think won't be identifiable to species...

1. Caloptilia elongella or betulicola?
2. Oegoconia quadripuncta or deauratella?

I'm sure you enjoyed the Community Shield...:t:

Attachments

• IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 19
Not sure I can do much with these.

Not really familiar with Caloptilia elongella/betulicola but I suppose the costal blotch favours betulicola. A feature of the latter is given as a whitish hindleg. Difficult to see the hindleg colour on the photo on the handheld but if that is shown as whitish perhaps you can be reasonably confident with betulicola?

The Oecogonias again I am unfamiliar with and had always regarded as gendets. This appears to be closest to deauretella from the Sterling & Parsons comments but again that book repeats that they are really gendets.

All the best

Last edited:
Not sure I can do much with these.

Not really familiar with Caloptilia elongella/betulicola but I suppose the costal blotch favours betulicola. A feature of the latter is given as a whitish hindleg. Difficult to see on the hindleg colour on the photo on the handheld but if that is shown as whitish perhaps you can be reasonably confident with betulicola?

The Oecogonias again I am unfamiliar with and had always regarded as gendets. This appears to be closest to deauretella from the Sterling & Parsons comments but again that book repeats that they are really gendets.

All the best

Thanks again, Paul - much appreciated. Looking at the photo on camera and mac the legs look pale but not exactly whitish - flight period would probably fit better with betulicola too but think I'll have to leave both those as unidentified to species.

Just to confirm these two are as below - common but 1st records for my garden!

1. Agriphila geniculea?
2. Agriphila tristella?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1820.JPG
    IMG_1820.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 17
A few more from the last few nights I'm hoping I've got correct...

1. Square-spot Rustic
2. Light Brown Apple Moth
3+4. Argyresthia semifusca? (seems to show that slight purplish tinge)

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1836.JPG
    IMG_1836.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1846.JPG
    IMG_1846.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 26
Happy with 1 and 2. Also happy with 3 but I struggle with those similar Argyresthias and no book to hand currently.

All the best

Thanks again, Paul - my Sterling & Parsons has arrived from Amazon today (should help me get more micros right!) and still points to semifusca being the best fit.

No new 'moths' for a while but a bit of garden clearance the other day found these two:

1. The Sycamore
2. Not sure moth or butterfly - but maybe from Speckled Wood?

Which leads me on to what do people generally include on a 'moth list' - does it have to be an actual moth or do caterpillars 'count' - be interested to know the consensus...

Attachments

• IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 16
I only count the adult moth, but would count that moth if I found it as a cat and reared it to adult.

Andy M

Thanks Andy, I did think that was the case. At least now I know the caterpillars are about I'll keep an eye out for the moth!

A few I need confirmation of from the morning if anyone can help? (sorry for poor photos, had to grab them quick before work)

1. Not sure...
2. Common Marbled Carpet? (rather than Dark Marbled Carpet)
3. just a worn Yellow Shell?

Attachments

• IMG_1878.JPG
    IMG_1878.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1873.JPG
    IMG_1873.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1871.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 22
I would go with Flounced Rustic for the first one and agree on the other two, although checking the shape of the postmedian line on the underwings would be the only way to confirm Chloroclysta citrata

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back