• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZEISS 20X60s STABILISED BINS (1 Viewer)

J.S.D.

hi, does anyone have the above bins, and what do you think of
them ? i have tried them out for a short period, and allthough
they are weighty, the image was stunning ! let me know your
views please ? many thanx.. J.S.D.

Hello J.S.D.

Certainly a good pair of bins. Don't know if the stabilizing button has changed position. I heard that people use it up side down because of this position.
Perhaps you need to consider the monoscope 20X60 S. It's cheaper,less heavy and still provides the same view.
Have been using it for some years and it is certainly very handy for picking up migratory birds that pass nearby and cuts down in weight of a heavy tripod/telescope combination.
Don't forget it only starts to have bright image beyond 6 metres. (or in case of the binoculars even 12 metres.)
I use it with a smaller bins.

zeiss 20x60s stabilising bins..

hi gerd, thanx for that, the stabilising button is on the left,
and the bins are held as normal, i did not have any problems !
incidently, there was a 20x60s monocular recently on a well
known website, they went for £800 as mint.. kind rgds.. J.S.D.

Don't know if the stabilizing button has changed position. I heard that people use it up side down because of this position

The 20x60S can be used upside down quite well indeed. The advantage is that in this way the binoculars' weight works for you (the button is quite stiff - for very good reasons!). It has nothing to do with the buttons's position.

Yes, there is a monocular version as well, but I think the great thing about the two barreled model is that you can see with both eyes (and use all of you brain) at 20x. Now where to find a luxury like that?
I have used the 20x60S for about 4 years and I won't part with it. Its low weight (1.5 kilo) makes it possible to have it in your rucksack all the time, and get it out when the occasion calls for it. I use a small (1 cm) strap on it so I can carry it over my shoulder without too much fear of slipping off. When I'm off to a spot where I will sit for hours I take a tripod along. I haven't compared it to a telescope long enough to say much about that in comparison, but one thing at least is very much better: FOV. The 3 mm exit pupil is of course a bit small, but you'll get used to that. Center sharpness is excellent, CA could be better.
Even more things could be better (and undoubtedly they are, in instruments made by Kowa, Docter, Myauchi for instance) but than you will have to carry considerably more weight. And the great advantage of easy portability is lost.

Note: there have been a few threads on the 20x60S before. As well as tests and reports elsewhere on the Net. Bear with me and I'll look 'em up for you.

cheers,

Renze

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back