• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nest building Treecreeper (1 Viewer)

osborne

I've been lucky enough to watch a Treecreeper nest building for the last two years. The nest site on both occasions was very similar - in a tree stump. However the nest was about half a mile away from the one last year and in a different wood, so probably a different bird to last years. The bird in question was collecting beakfuls of small twigs from generally short sorties away. It was repeatedly doing this from the same trees, all of which were only 1 - 4 metres away from the nest. My notebooks from last year indicate that only one bird builds the nest which has been the case this time too. However last year both male and female helped feed the young and in fact one occupied the nest whenever the other was away collecting food. As soon as one bird entered the nest the other would fly out for feeding duties. So hopefully I'll observe both parents again this year !
What are your experiences of nesting Treecreepers ?

Nice stuff Osborne. I've seen very similar behaviour from Treecreepers when they're nestbuilding - flying busily short distances back and forth from the nest to collect nest material. Always brilliant birds to watch.

Fifebirder said:
Nice stuff Osborne. I've seen very similar behaviour from Treecreepers when they're nestbuilding - flying busily short distances back and forth from the nest to collect nest material. Always brilliant birds to watch.

Totally agree, I am lucky to be able to watch them in my back garden though I have never seen them nesting here.

I'm a very novice birder at present, so I'm at that stage where I still get excited about seeing something unusual (Well? New to me anyway!) I spotted a Tree Creeper nest building in an old tree stump riddled with holes at my local Reserve a few days ago. (Stodmarsh in Kent) I've only seen a few treecreepers, so watching one build a nest for more than 20 minutes was sheer bliss for me!! I can't wait to see the babies!!! I've just looked at the photo gallery and there are some stunning shots of them there!
I've started lots of new hobbies in my time and I soon get bored (usually after I've spent a small fortune!) But I don't think I'll EVER get bored with bird watching, every time I visit the reserve, I see something different, isn't mother nature just amazing!! (And apart from the petrol and binoculars it doesn't cost a penny!!!) :t:

just a quick question, do treecreppers build a few nests and choose one?
i ask this because i was watching them build a nest for a couple of days and now they have dissappered. it was great to watch as they were trying to carry twips in about a foot long! they kept dropping them and trying to pick them up again.

watched a Treecreeper yesterday 'on the deck', not something I recall ever seeing before ... it was close to base of a small birch for a minute plus but I can't definately say whether it was seeking out nest material or not before it was flushed by a Blackbird

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back