• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2012 UK Orchid season updates (2 Viewers)

Is this hybrid rare? I've only ever seen it once at Parkgate (I think the same plant pictured on the first page of the Late-spider section in Harraps).

Mike.

Hi Mike

James H perhaps better placed than me to answer that, but I seem to remember reading a paper from Richard Bateman on LSO and the number of hybrids at English sites was, to me, surprisingly high.

I think he recorded it at all but one of the sites he visited. How they were determined (it was morphologically, not genetically), I'm not certain, but RMB is the BSBI referee for Ophrys.

It is with this background that I was ready to pronounce Rich's plants as hybrids.

British plants are odd in general, though, because I've seen LSO in several countries on the Coninent and they seem much less variable within individual populations. I've seen pics from some places, however, where they come in all shapes and sizes - but again perhaps with possible hybrid influence.

It is my understanding that LSO has a specific pollinator,which does not occur in England. Not sure if that is correct (someone who I consider should've known that told me), but if it is, that would mean British plants shouldn't survive - although I suspect human intervention (pollination) is keeping them where they are. I'd also suspect the gene pool is pretty low, meaning potential issues with them in the long term.

Sean

Hi Mike

James H perhaps better placed than me to answer that, but I seem to remember reading a paper from Richard Bateman on LSO and the number of hybrids at English sites was, to me, surprisingly high.

I think he recorded it at all but one of the sites he visited. How they were determined (it was morphologically, not genetically), I'm not certain, but RMB is the BSBI referee for Ophrys.

It is with this background that I was ready to pronounce Rich's plants as hybrids.

British plants are odd in general, though, because I've seen LSO in several countries on the Coninent and they seem much less variable within individual populations. I've seen pics from some places, however, where they come in all shapes and sizes - but again perhaps with possible hybrid influence.

It is my understanding that LSO has a specific pollinator,which does not occur in England. Not sure if that is correct (someone who I consider should've known that told me), but if it is, that would mean British plants shouldn't survive - although I suspect human intervention (pollination) is keeping them where they are. I'd also suspect the gene pool is pretty low, meaning potential issues with them in the long term.

Sean

Hi Sean

Thanks for your reply.

I'm intrigued and I've been a bit confused about this for a while. If it's based purely on morphological observations, in my opinion, the lip shape on Rich's plant is very good for LSO (broad and squarish) and the dorsal sepal is held vertically - not horizontally backwards as with Bee orchids. Furthermore, the number of green veins on the lateral sepals doesn't seem to be a particularly strong indicator of hybirdisation, certainly when looking at photos of supposidly pure LSO in Harraps (2005) - particularly the plant pictured on p 406 which not only exhibits numerous veins but also a long pointed lip, very like a plant on p 307 in Foley & Clarke (2005) - are we suggesting these are hybrids too?

It's interesting what you say about the pollinators though, does this mean that all existing populations are maintained through hand pollination? How did they survive before the advent of active conservation? Potentially the supposid high level of hybridisation is what's keeping the populations going, the Bee orchid parents maybe acting to bolster the LSO populations. Are the progeny fertile?

Mike.

Last edited:
Hi Sean

Thanks for your reply.

I'm intrigued and I've been a bit confused about this for a while. If it's based purely on morphological observations, in my opinion, the lip shape on Rich's plant is very good for LSO (broad and squarish) and the dorsal sepal is held vertically - not horizontally backwards as with Bee orchids. Furthermore, the number of green veins on the lateral sepals doesn't seem to be a particularly strong indicator of hybirdisation, certainly when looking at photos of supposidly pure LSO in Harraps (2005) - particularly the plant pictured on p 406 which not only exhibits numerous veins but also a long pointed lip, very like a plant on p 307 in Foley & Clarke (2005) - are we suggesting these are hybrids too?

It's interesting what you say about the pollinators though, does this mean that all existing populations are maintained through hand pollination? How did they survive before the advent of active conservation? Potentially the supposid high level of hybridisation is what's keeping the populations going, the Bee orchid parents maybe acting to bolster the LSO populations. Are the progeny fertile?

Mike.

A very Interesting discussion, thanks to all of you.
Couple of things Mike, how did you confirm your Park Gate plant was a hybrid? Come to that, the same question applies if others of you have definitely seen the hybrid.

I see what you mean about the pointed sepals in the Harrap’s photograph, especially on the lowest flower, but for the life of me I can’t see more than three veins in any of them! Unfortunately I don’t have Foley & Clark.

Thanks again.
Alan

Also intrigued and quite a bit confused.

A very Interesting discussion, thanks to all of you.
Couple of things Mike, how did you confirm your Park Gate plant was a hybrid? Come to that, the same question applies if others of you have definitely seen the hybrid.

I see what you mean about the pointed sepals in the Harrap’s photograph, especially on the lowest flower, but for the life of me I can’t see more than three veins in any of them! Unfortunately I don’t have Foley & Clark.

Thanks again.
Alan

Also intrigued and quite a bit confused.

Hi Alan

The Parkgate plant has since apparently been identified as a hybrid. I didn't identify it as such myself, (can't exactly place where I heard this but the memory stuck!) Certainly it does look quite different to the normal LSO - the lip is intermediate between both species (quite long and thin) and the sepals are an odd pinkish green. Ironically, when I first made my big Kent orchid visit in 2005, this was the first LSO I came across, or so I thought.

You're right Alan, the veins aren't particularly strong in that photo admittedly! My point is that the number of veins on the sepals of both Bee and LSO is a rather defunct identification feature in that I've often found supposidly pure LSO with multiple green veins like the ones below.

Mike.

(p.s. the Foley & Clarke book is an excellent book and definitely worth the money).

Attachments

• IMG_6688.JPG
    IMG_6688.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6739.JPG
    IMG_6739.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Just back from north Lancs where I went to see the dark red helleborines. Lots now in flower on the limestone pavement.

Also had a look at the lady's slipper plants. All finished most didnt have seed pods developing either. Found four that had swelling seed pods, not many considering the numbers of plants there.

The odd pyramidal returns

The strange pyramidal that met with some interest last year has re-appeared. I hope this years photographs aren't quite as bad as last years, at least you should be able to see something of the spurs and the peculiar shapes of the lip and petals.

Alan

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 67
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 57
  • above.jpg
    above.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 52
  • macro1.jpg
    macro1.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 55
  • macro2.jpg
    macro2.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 51
The odd Broad-leaved is also back

The strange Broad-leaved Helleborine at the same site as the strange Pyramidal has also reappeared.

The bottom part of the spike looks fairly normal at the in bud stage but towards the top of the spike the bracts become a funny shape and have multiple flowers buds appearing from them, strange looking buds at that!

Alan

Attachments

• Odd ep_1.jpg
    Odd ep_1.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 62
Hi all - if I get a bit more time later today I will post a reply on the LSO questions on this thread.

However, keeping with the updates theme of this thread............

Yesterday: saw the Red Helleborines at Princes Risborough and various helleborines all in bud in the local area.

Visited the 1986/1987 Ghost site. Conditions very damp. 78+ Yellow Bird's Nest.

Nice trip out, especially the conga line to see the Red Helleborines!!!!

Just popping out to check out another Lizard site

Cheers

James

It's interesting what you say about the pollinators though, does this mean that all existing populations are maintained through hand pollination? How did they survive before the advent of active conservation?

Mike.

Harrap mentions that plants are long lived and therefore maintaining populations - how long do these plants live for potentially? Does anybody know when the pollinating Bee was last recorded in the UK?

Chris

Marsh Helleborine and Burnts

A trip to north Hampshire on Saturday in between the showers, first stop a small very wet fen for Marsh Helleborine. For those that know the site, the small stream running through the middle of the site is deeper than the top of willies! Marsh helles still a bit early, also var ocholeuca just coming into flower. Southern Marsh and possibly pugsley's marsh orchid in flower (although no matter how much I compare my photo’s with the books im not convinced). Next a hill site for Burnt’s, again just coming into flower. Frogs just coming into flower, common spotted, pyramid in flower and fragrant going over. If anyone knows the site and comes across the frog x common spotted hyb. can they please PM me the precise location?

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 49
Late Spider x Bee orchid hybrid at Parkgate Down 2004 - 2008

In answer to a few queries on the subject I will put forward my opinion on the plant at Parkgate Down ( the years I've used are the first and last years I saw this particular plant at Parkgate).

As Mike states this is the same plant that headed the species account in Harrap's excellent book.

Before I start bare in mind that people like trying to put things in convenient boxes and quite often with orchids they defy our attempts to do so.

There will be some that think this plant was a hybrid, others that it is within natural variation of the species. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and we should respect each others views.

First up, for hybrids to exist, both plants need to exist close to each other.

When I first stumbled across this plant ( whilst searching for Musk Orchids ) it immediately struck me as odd.

Here is a break down of features I believe are indicative of a hybrid origin:

1. Both parents are growing in the vicinity
2. Although not very scientific - the general "gizz" is of intermediate
appearance. More like holoserica, but not quite right.
3. Inner perianth segments - intermediate in shape between the holoserica
(pink and always triangular) and apifera (horn-like, greeninsh and hairy)
4. Outer perianth segments - unusual colour for either species, but
longer,
narrower and more pointed like bee - less like the oval, broad short lso
sepals.
5. Has the pip on the bottom of the labellum that is diagnostic of
holoserica
6. The column and pollinia are held erect - more typical of apifera.
7. Labellum shape - angular and squarer - more like holoserica
8. The "eyebrows" above the "eyes" are more typical of apifera.Also, the
"shield" area below the "eyes" is flat and open - also more reminiscent
of apifera.

However, visiting several colonies throws up a huge difference in appearence - when does natural variation end and hybridisation begin??!!

As some contributions to section already know, I am particularly fascinated by this species - if there is sufficient interest I will start a separate thread.

Cheers for now!! :t:

James

ps saw the lizards near Maidstone ( as photographed by Tittletatler )

Attachments

• Kent-130604-008-01.jpg
    Kent-130604-008-01.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 68
Gaitbarrows

Went on a Dark-red Helleborine mission to Gaitbarrows on saturday with plenty of success; lots of plants in flower on the limestone pavement behind the Lady's-slipper reintroduction spot. There's definitely a greater variation in colour forms here than at Bishop Middleham with some a light pinkish green all the way to the more typical deep crimson sometimes with purple tinges. About 5 Broad-leaved Helleborines still to flower.
It turns out Ian (IJS) was around on the same day but unfortunately I got there too late to cross paths!

Mike.

Attachments

• IMG_5755.JPG
    IMG_5755.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5769.JPG
    IMG_5769.JPG
    386.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5801.JPG
    IMG_5801.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5806.JPG
    IMG_5806.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5936.JPG
    IMG_5936.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 63
Late Spider x Bee

As some contributions to section already know, I am particularly fascinated by this species - if there is sufficient interest I will start a separate thread.

James

Well done James, a brilliant post, many thanks.

I rather think there is sufficient interest and its likely to continue into future seasons, I'll be the first one to invite you to start a separate thread.

Alan

Photography

While struggling across the country this year with an expensive and increasingly heavy CANON kit - SLR, various lenses, tripod etc.. I have been repeatedly embarrassed by the the stunning performance of my wife's £90 LUMIX 'top pocket' compact which frequently out-competes me, whether snapping orchids or butterflies, but is particularly good in low light and has a brilliant quick focussing 1cm macro capability.

Consequently I have begun to look at bridge cameras and would appreciate any views or personal experience with these before I consign my current kit to my heritage camera collection!

It would seem that the usual suspects produce the best models i.e. CANON, NIKON, LUMIX ???

James

excellent stuff.

Can I trouble you with a couple more questions;

1. what are your views on the plants in posts 318 and 339 which have been suggested as hybrids?
2. do you know if there are any other pictures of the 2010 hybrid from near Wye, other than the side on photo published in Kent Botany 2010?

Rich M

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back