• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starlings (1 Viewer)

I find that they don't eat the stuff I put out for them to keep them off the food meant for the other birds.

Amazingly they are not ,at the mo, even eating a fat cake that I put out.

We are lucky enough not to have starlings in this part of the world yet . . . . (south-west WA is a temperate region surrounded by desert). The government has spent millions keeping them out via traps and various programs which have so far been successful.

Rhizanthella said:
We are lucky enough not to have starlings in this part of the world yet . . . . (south-west WA is a temperate region surrounded by desert). The government has spent millions keeping them out via traps and various programs which have so far been successful.

The Starlings are eating me out of house and home and I don't mind one bit.

Starlings are funny,smart,cute and great survivors.They sing real good too.

To others they are a flying rats.

Each to their own,but I like them.......

Mary Evelyn said:

I can't NOT love my starlings, they are so entertaining and even though I get loads coming in the garden, they are generally very well behaved. There are only one or two starlings that do go on the hanging feeders, most go on the feeders that they are allowed to go on! They make a lot of noise though but there have been no complaints from the neighbours thankfully!

Mary Evelyn said:

How can anyone not like our Starlings. They are so full of character, they are mischevious and as mary said, they are survivors.

I love watching the young battling for supremecy on the bird table. The competition can be fierce and the noise can be incredible from these battling birds.

Don't forget the colours. The adults are stunning to look at in the right light and the youngsters look like completely different birds with their lighter colours.

Then you have the spectacle of roosting Starlings out in the countryside. How can you fail to be impressed by these swirling clouds of birds, magic.

Attachments

• Starling 1235.jpg
    Starling 1235.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Starling 0513.jpg
    Starling 0513.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Starling 0496.jpg
    Starling 0496.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Starlings. 3JPG.JPG
    Starlings. 3JPG.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 98
  • Starlings. 4JPG.JPG
    Starlings. 4JPG.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 91
i used to live in eastbourne and remember starlings being there all year. we moved to torquay and you don't see any, must be the gulls. i now live in the country and the starlings only come back in the winter, when i don't mind feeding any birds. i see flocks on dawlish warren both juv and adult. they have personality.

In agreement with you Reader, they are a delightful bird, noisy and boisterous but delightful. Wish I had more than the odd 2 or 3 visit, but hey soon be colder weather and they will be after the FOOD !!!! :t:

Reader said:
How can anyone not like our Starlings. They are so full of character, they are mischevious and as mary said, they are survivors.

I love watching the young battling for supremecy on the bird table. The competition can be fierce and the noise can be incredible from these battling birds.

Don't forget the colours. The adults are stunning to look at in the right light and the youngsters look like completely different birds with their lighter colours.

Then you have the spectacle of roosting Starlings out in the countryside. How can you fail to be impressed by these swirling clouds of birds, magic.

Super pics.Reader.I forgot to say how beautiful they were too.Absolutely stunning and the young so cute.

Silvershark....I love them too.We have had so many young here and such a treat to watch.They can empty a birth bath in seconds, as do the adults.

We lost many Sparrows several years ago and now they are coming back here in droves and again, so pleased to see them......I would hate to see Starlings decline like that.

It's nice to hear that these birds are appreciated (great pictures too!) and have those winning personalities.

We only ever hear bad things here and I think the public impression is they are this evil plague that must be held back at all costs.

Reader said:

Reader, very good pics. Especially the one where they are all over that feeding table.

i love starlings and i cant wait until they return to my feeders. i only get them in the fall and early spring. there year round residence here but they must find other food sources throughout most of the year. i know they always hang out at mcdonalds lol
i love them because yes they have tons of personallity. they eat all the food and im glad, this way nothing goes to waste by me having to discard it due to it getting old.
there voice is hesterical 3:) and yep im counting those days til the starlings return yippee!!

What is it a friend of my neighbour's likens them to? - A gang of bikers, moving in FAST and NOISILY and in GREAT HORDES and, 'business' done, they leave the same way! Soooo right! I love them, they truly sing for their supper and richly deserve it.
Bluetit

Just imagine if the starling was on the endangered list god forbid what a change in attitude there would be by certain folk, it's only because they are in abundance people take them for granted. If folk took a little time out just to sit & watch them for a while people would have more respect for these birds but it's like the old saying you never appreciate something until it's gone,
here's a picture of one, I don't think he knows what he is yet.
Regards Snapper.

Attachments

• Starling (J) .JPG
    Starling (J) .JPG
    141 KB · Views: 109
snapper said:
Just imagine if the starling was on the endangered list god forbid what a change in attitude there would be by certain folk, it's only because they are in abundance people take them for granted. If folk took a little time out just to sit & watch them for a while people would have more respect for these birds but it's like the old saying you never appreciate something until it's gone,
here's a picture of one, I don't think he knows what he is yet.
Regards Snapper.

Again ,as I said to Reader,such a beautiful bird.

Lovely pic.Snapper.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back