• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (19 Viewers)

BOU have just announced that Amur Falcon has been added to the British List. The totals on the Yorkshire birding listers league have been updated for those fortunate to see it.

Typical. Dashed home from work in order to head for the coast/spurn. Checked BG and "only" a rosefinch reported at spurn today! Don't think that quite merits the 3.5 hours of driving.

That might be what everyone else thinks, and why no birds have been found today ;)

Could well be Pete! I would only have had around an hour and a half 'til dark so I reckoned saving the petrol for another trip when there are more birds around and more time to search may be more productive. Just waiting for a mega to turn up this evening now...

Just received the latest copy of Yorkshire Birding (vol 19 no 2) and it was nice to see Richard Scott's piece about his finding of the Iberian chiffchaff at Potteric Carr. Well done that man!
There's a damn good article on Hatfield Moor with a couple of sketch maps showing the area names etc. should make it easier to follow the Hatfield blog now.

BOU have just announced that Amur Falcon has been added to the British List. The totals on the Yorkshire birding listers league have been updated for those fortunate to see it.

Gaz, am I right in thinking we are now officially on 445 for Yorks. with one pending that would make it 446?

A few photos from Bempton yesterday - had a really good time watching everything in the wooded dip near the car park - amazing how many people drove on by without realising that there were:

Spotted Flycatchers, Pied Flycatcher, Garden Warbler and Icterine Warbler. Mind you I had to have some help to ID the Icterine |:$|

Attachments

• Spotted Flycatcher.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Pied Flycatcher.jpg
    Pied Flycatcher.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_6590.jpg
    DSC_6590.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Icterine Warbler (1).jpg
    Icterine Warbler (1).jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 194
Have any east coasters noted a big fall of Goldcrests?Tuesday in Redhouse woods, where there have been none since to cold snap in jauary,yesterday had 30 +!!!Great to see them back ,wondering whether brit birds moving down from forrests or continental arrivals? Am trying to work out the comings and goings on local patch and goldcrests don't seem to get reported amongst all the rarer stuff. I thought(?incorrectly) that continentals were more oct/nov.

Thanks for any info

Paul

Hi Lawts
I add stuff straight away if it's obvious it will get accepted, things get pended if they are either not on the British list, Brown Fly, Amur Falcon and Pacific Diver recently or if the ID is contentious Canvasback and Collared Fly.

Had you on 348 on my list but not done on the site, updated you now.

G

Have any east coasters noted a big fall of Goldcrests?Tuesday in Redhouse woods, where there have been none since to cold snap in jauary,yesterday had 30 +!!!Great to see them back ,wondering whether brit birds moving down from forrests or continental arrivals? Am trying to work out the comings and goings on local patch and goldcrests don't seem to get reported amongst all the rarer stuff. I thought(?incorrectly) that continentals were more oct/nov.

Thanks for any info

Paul

Doc
The first one of the autumn was at Spurn last week so I doubt your birds were of continental origin.

G

Hi Lawts
I add stuff straight away if it's obvious it will get accepted, things get pended if they are either not on the British list, Brown Fly, Amur Falcon and Pacific Diver recently or if the ID is contentious Canvasback and Collared Fly.

Had you on 348 on my list but not done on the site, updated you now.

G

Cheers Gaz.

Few pics of the Western Bonelli's Warbler at Bempton, also Ring Ouzel in the car park dell and a Merlin west
WesternBonellisWarbler004.jpg

WesternBonellisWarbler009.jpg

WesternBonellisWarbler008.jpg

WesternBonellisWarbler003.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently the original finder reported a Bonelli's at the centre but refused to give it's location. Only found that out moments after Graham and Mat were looking each other going "Bonelli's ?" What's all that about?

Last edited:
Keith, if you are doing the Preston run on Wed keep an eye on the forecast. There's v strong westerlies predicted, imagine there is a good chance of some Leach's on the coast.

Just got back from 27, heard the overnight rain and woke up to sunshine so thought I'd see if anything had dropped in. Went up hoping for a patch mega (flycatcher or redstart), no luck there but there's good numbers of blackcap and chiffchaff, maybe 6-10 of each and my birds had previously cleared out. The chiffchaff were interesting birds, very different colour to the locals, much browner and reminiscent of the birds I'd expect to see on the coast in autumn. Was musing yesterday whether we would see any continental birds that arrived in Scotland in last weeks fall becoming drift migrants.

Anyway, well worth checking your patch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back