• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wow...Bald Eagle! (1 Viewer)

ToadinNH

Don't see them around here too often, but I looked out the window at just the right moment and saw one fly overhead...just long enough to say out loud, "oh, my God!" I grabbed my camera and ran outside. The finches and chickadee's were hauling tail into the trees, so I hung outside for a while hoping it was still around, but it was gone :(

During long, cold winters they will come down from Canada where there is more open water. About 8 years ago there was a family of bald eagles living along the Piscataqua River...was always a real treat to drive over the bridge and see them hanging out.

Just wanted to share another raptor highlight!

I have the same reaction when it comes to seeing Bald Eagles.

My brother thinks i'm a bit nuts but he sees so many every day in upstate New York that they are just another bird to him.

I have the same reaction when it comes to seeing Bald Eagles.

My brother thinks i'm a bit nuts but he sees so many every day in upstate New York that they are just another bird to him.

I almost wish I could see them that often....they are Majestic....with a capital "M"! But then again, I love having such powerful feeling about it....ya know? And it came while I was crying over watching Marley and Me. Maybe it knew? I like to think so :bounce:

Big Bird 50 feet away in front yard

Don't see them around here too often, but I looked out the window at just the right moment and saw one fly overhead...just long enough to say out loud, "oh, my God!" I grabbed my camera and ran outside. The finches and chickadee's were hauling tail into the trees, so I hung outside for a while hoping it was still around, but it was gone :(

During long, cold winters they will come down from Canada where there is more open water. About 8 years ago there was a family of bald eagles living along the Piscataqua River...was always a real treat to drive over the bridge and see them hanging out.

Just wanted to share another raptor highlight!

I had a similar experience today and my heart is still racing. I think it was more likely some kind of hawk but I have not ruled out Eagle. Here is the story - this morning minding my own business and I get a glimpse out of my front window of movement. I look and it is this huge bird in the only tree we have in our front yard. All blurry without my glasses, so I go get them. The bird is still there, I take note of the huge white underside and notice some rust color at the neck, but cannot really see the head etc. well so I excitedly go get my lousy binoculars. In my haste, I put them to my eyes turned backwards!!! That cost me because I flipped them over, looked at the tree, and poof - it was gone. No sign of it! I am sure it wasn't the pileated woodpecker. I do not know if it was an owl, a hawk, or an eagle. Sounds ridiculous, I know. I only looked at it for seconds as I ran around getting what I needed TO SEE! I AM SUCH A ROOKIE!:-C

Last edited:
They are making a recovery, in some places they are fighting for territory. Supposedly they are becoming common in the Carolina Outer Banks and the Louisiana Coast? I hope so, I have seen Six in the last Ten years here in North Carolina.

Mon. I had to run into town do take care of some business and then I was going to go over to the Susquehanna River looking for eagles. I didn't even get into town when I spotted two in a tree along the road. I guess they hang out there because of the very large meat processing plant. I was able to get a picture of the one. It was a pleasant experience taking pictures from 50 yards and not 500 yards.

Attachments

• eagle2.jpg
    eagle2.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 40
So awesome! I'm definitely going to keep a sharper eye out for them now. I don't think any bird (in this area) can trump a Bald Eagle! Woo hoo! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back