• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RICHARD RICHARDSON — Did you know him? (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

This will be interesting as I don't expect there are many people left who did personally know him — or is there?????

As I am sure all the older Norfolk birders know, Richard Richardson was a great ornithologist and artist and lived at Cley in Norfolk with Mrs Dee (landlady) where he spent his time birdwatching and painting birds and many other subjects. He had a photographic memory and amazing eyesight and was loved by everyone he met, both young and old. He had a fantastic sense of humour! Very, very sadly Richard passed away after illness in 1977.

He illustrated several books including 'Collins Guide to Bird Watching; by the late R.S.R. Fitter and lots of his paintings he gave to friends as keepsakes.

He made annual trips to Fair Isle in June each year which he fell in love with and wrote an article in the 'Lynn News and Advertiser' on Friday September 9th, 1966 titled 'The Fair Isle Casts its Spell' which he illustrated with a birdwatcher being attacked by a bonxie and the Good Shepherd (boat) rocking in the waves! He was loved by the islanders there and made strong friendships, I met an islander this year (my 2nd trip to Fair Isle via Good Shepherd!!!) that knew him, I am sure there are several more people left on Fair Isle that knew him? Peter Jackson (another birdwatcher and family friend) used to travel with him to Fair Isle. I remember as a child/teenager lots of tales of Fair Isle and the 'Good Shepherd'.

I personally have very fond memories, he was my parents (Peter Clarke founder/warden of N.O.A. Holme Bird Obs. author etc) and Margaret's best friend. When ever he visited us at Holme, he would always take out of the pocket of his black leather trousers, 3 packets of smarties for my two sisters and I (We were very young then!). I remember him wearing his black beret, black leather trousers and jacket and a black and white squared jumper! Richard loved his motorbikes. I remember travelling to Cley as a child with father to visit Richard and we would go birdwatching for the day along the famous 'East Bank' and then back to Mrs Dee's for tea and cakes and then make the long trip back to Holme on father's Vespa scooter!!

Did you know Richard and have any wonderful stories to tell?

Penny Clarke said:
This will be interesting as I don't expect there are many people left who did personally know him — or is there?????

As I am sure all the older Norfolk birders know, Richard Richardson was a great ornithologist and artist and lived at Cley in Norfolk with Mrs Dee (landlady) where he spent his time birdwatching and painting birds and many other subjects. He had a photographic memory and amazing eyesight and was loved by everyone he met, both young and old. He had a fantastic sense of humour! Very, very sadly Richard passed away after illness in 1977.

He illustrated several books including 'Collins Guide to Bird Watching; by the late R.S.R. Fitter and lots of his paintings he gave to friends as keepsakes.

He made annual trips to Fair Isle in June each year which he fell in love with and wrote an article in the 'Lynn News and Advertiser' on Friday September 9th, 1966 titled 'The Fair Isle Casts its Spell' which he illustrated with a birdwatcher being attacked by a bonxie and the Good Shepherd (boat) rocking in the waves! He was loved by the islanders there and made strong friendships, I met an islander this year (my 2nd trip to Fair Isle via Good Shepherd!!!) that knew him, I am sure there are several more people left on Fair Isle that knew him? Peter Jackson (another birdwatcher and family friend) used to travel with him to Fair Isle. I remember as a child/teenager lots of tales of Fair Isle and the 'Good Shepherd'.

I personally have very fond memories, he was my parents (Peter Clarke founder/warden of N.O.A. Holme Bird Obs. author etc) and Margaret's best friend. When ever he visited us at Holme, he would always take out of the pocket of his black leather trousers, 3 packets of smarties for my two sisters and I (We were very young then!). I remember him wearing his black beret, black leather trousers and jacket and a black and white squared jumper! Richard loved his motorbikes. I remember travelling to Cley as a child with father to visit Richard and we would go birdwatching for the day along the famous 'East Bank' and then back to Mrs Dee's for tea and cakes and then make the long trip back to Holme on father's Vespa scooter!!

Did you know Richard and have any wonderful stories to tell?
Penny i knew Richard and also your father (not as well as i knew Richard) he was a very nice man and excellent birder.

POP

POP said:
Penny i knew Richard and also your father (not as well as i knew Richard) he was a very nice man and excellent birder.

POP

Yes he was, thank for replying. Father is still going strong, better not say his age (he will kill me!!!!!)

Very pleased to learn that Peter is still going strong Penny. I always used to have a chat with Peter when I visited Holme every February from the early 1970s onwards. Coming from Devon, Twite was one of the the birds I always wanted to see each year and Peter would tell me where I would find them. Roger

devon.birder said:
Very pleased to learn that Peter is still going strong Penny. I always used to have a chat with Peter when I visited Holme every February from the early 1970s onwards. Coming from Devon, Twite was one of the the birds I always wanted to see each year and Peter would tell me where I would find them. Roger

Thank you Roger, twite were always seen on the lavender marsh by Thornham bank — father dedicates more of his time to moths than birds now since he has retired.

Penny Clarke said:
Thank you Roger, twite were always seen on the lavender marsh by Thornham bank — father dedicates more of his time to moths than birds now since he has retired.
Penny I have your fathers book 1965 Bird Watching,signed copy too.

POP

Didn't know RR but have met your father many times at Holme and always found him really helpful.

I wonder if the George and Dragon at Cley still has RR's originals on the wall??...he was a fine artist.

John.

POP said:
Penny I have your fathers book 1965 Bird Watching,signed copy too.

POP

Ah yes - I know the book well!! I have 2 signed copies!!!! One I have had since year dot and the other I found in a new second hand book shop in King's Lynn this year!!!!!

john barclay said:
Didn't know RR but have met your father many times at Holme and always found him really helpful.

I wonder if the George and Dragon at Cley still has RR's originals on the wall??...he was a fine artist.

John.

Thank you for your reply. Father was always there, 7 days a week, 364 days a year for 32 years, Christmas day off, but even then as a family we used to cycle down to HBO on Christmas Day!

I don't 'if the George and Dragon at Cley still has RR's originals on the wall'?... he was a brilliant artist.

He is a person I'd have loved to have met. I have the recent book, 'Guardian Spirit of the East Bank' about Richard's life and art. Fantastic book. He died far too early.

Last edited:
Penny Clarke said:
Ah yes - I know the book well!! I have 2 signed copies!!!! One I have had since year dot and the other I found in a new second hand book shop in King's Lynn this year!!!!!

I regret I can only manage an autographed copy of his 1987 book. Roger

Vectis Birder said:
He is a person I'd have loved to have met. I have the recent book, 'Guardian Spirit of the East Bank' about Richard's life and art. Fantastic book. He died far too early.

Thank you for your reply.

The book was a lovely idea, but its a pity the paper wasn't better quality to show Richard's paintings at their very best.

Very sadly he had smoked too many cigarettes.

Penny Clarke said:
Thank you for your reply.

The book was a lovely idea, but its a pity the paper wasn't better quality to show Richard's paintings at their very best.

Very sadly he had smoked too many cigarettes.
I had two superb prints of Richards work and stupidly hung them under lights in the sitting room.Of course they faded,but though faded the jizz of the birds are perfect.

POP

POP said:
I had two superb prints of Richards work and stupidly hung them under lights in the sitting room.Of course they faded,but though faded the jizz of the birds are perfect.

POP
Yes I remember that happening to 2 framed prints that hung in H.B.O at Holme that were on display, paper is more lightfast nowadays isn't it - pity.

I spent most of my formative birdwatching years on the East Bank.Living only a few miles way I cycled to Cley regularly or was kicked out of the car by the rest of the family en route to Cromer. Richard was invariably there and on weekdays and evenings he was often the only person around. I remember him pointing out my first bittern,water rail and beardies as well as megas such as Bairds sandpiper.
I also remeber him revving up his Norton motorbike when he left for lunch and tea. You could follow his journey all the way home and know when he had arrived from the sound of the engine in the distance.
He had an amazing knack of finding birds, almost on cue, and his eyesight was exceptional-enabling him to pick out birds that others needed binoculars to identify.
His premature death was a tremendous loss to the county and to birding everywhere. I know that he was the main influence in my lifelong love of birds.

Glenn McColl said:
I spent most of my formative birdwatching years on the East Bank.Living only a few miles way I cycled to Cley regularly or was kicked out of the car by the rest of the family en route to Cromer. Richard was invariably there and on weekdays and evenings he was often the only person around. I remember him pointing out my first bittern,water rail and beardies as well as megas such as Bairds sandpiper.
I also remeber him revving up his Norton motorbike when he left for lunch and tea. You could follow his journey all the way home and know when he had arrived from the sound of the engine in the distance.
He had an amazing knack of finding birds, almost on cue, and his eyesight was exceptional-enabling him to pick out birds that others needed binoculars to identify.
His premature death was a tremendous loss to the county and to birding everywhere. I know that he was the main influence in my lifelong love of birds.

Thank you so much for replying Glenn, lovely tales.

One of the reasons Richard was such a brilliant birder was he spent alot of time doing it!, practice makes perfect as they say, which is why I am so rusty! I knew more birds when I was a youngster, spending every weekend at H.B.O. Holme and school holidays than I do now! When I left home at 16 and moved away, I had a few years where I hardly went birding at all, came back to it later in life, some birds stuck, waders didn't, I admit I am rubbish at IDing waders!
:t:

Some photos recently came to light, thought I'd share a couple. Happy days...

James

Attachments

• RAR-DSCN4464.JPG
    RAR-DSCN4464.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 812
  • RAR-DSCN4468.JPG
    RAR-DSCN4468.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 632
I first came across Richard ( Mr. Richardson - I was only a nipper at the time and wouldn't have dared call him anything else as my Mum amd Dad were close by ;) ) on the ubiquetous East Bank in 1964 on my first visit to Norfolk. It is surprising how much information I gathered in that brief first meeting, and how helpful he was. On future meetings it didn't matter how daft your ID's or questions were he always had the time to gently point you in the right direction. An all round cracking chap, particularly as he also rode a motorbike as well. I'm really glad to hear your Dad's still keeping active as he always made my day when I called into the Obs. ( although he did almost cause me to have a childish accident back in the 80's, when he fed me about 2 pounds of plums from his tree, and I had to walk all the way back to the village!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back