• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (3 Viewers)

Is the Birdwatch Billy clarke talk still on tommorow night?

On Monday 1st March 2010 at 8pm at the Spirit Store, Dundalk Docks, Dundalk, Billy Clarke will give an illustrated talk on the wildlife ( mostly birds ) of New Zealand and it's subantarctic Islands. He will show photos taken on a cruise to these subantarctic islands and a subsequent tour around the mainland islands. These areas are a diversity hotspot for albatrosses ( thirteen species ), penguins ,cormorants and many other seabirds.
Many thousands of albatrosses were seen on this cruise. The mainland islands are largely devoid of native birds but the wildlife service of New Zealand has pioneered many innovative conservation techniques. Many critically endangered birds have been moved to offshore islands that have been cleared of introduced pests. It is possible to see such strange and fascinating birds as kiwi and takahe on these islands.
http://birdslouth.blogspot.com/

Carrion crow at Carlingford yesterday - has anybody noticed tha lack of red throated divers and great northern divers this year? In past years there were regularly a few, sometimes a few tens between giles quay and carlingford lough but this year very thin on the ground.

Attachments

• carrion and hooded crow carlingford lough feb.jpg
    carrion and hooded crow carlingford lough feb.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 72
Carrion crow at Carlingford yesterday - has anybody noticed tha lack of red throated divers and great northern divers this year? In past years there were regularly a few, sometimes a few tens between giles quay and carlingford lough but this year very thin on the ground.

Yes numbers of red throated and Great northern Diver well down on last year at Hermitage as well.

The best today 2 Shoveler and a male Gadwall at Lurgangreen with 127 Greylag Geese and 880 Brent Geese and 1,080 Linnet at Hermitage. No Twite among them. I believe Gerry O' Neill did a bit better on the twite front.;)

Last edited:
black redstart twite

P. falcon at dundalk docks,egret at cruietown.

Black redstart at dundalk docks and twite lurgangreen..Last photo twite mobing kestrel....

Attachments

• b red 2.jpg
    b red 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 70
  • twite crop 1.jpg
    twite crop 1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 61
  • twite crop 2.jpg
    twite crop 2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 65
  • twite crop 4.jpg
    twite crop 4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 62
  • twite crop mob kes.jpg
    twite crop mob kes.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 61
It was in yesterdays local paper that a peregrine falcon escaped from its owner on the ballymakenny road a week ago. It still has its anklets and straps but no bells. Before I seen this story I was watching the birds in my garden and what I thought was a hawk caught the corner of my eye. It was too far away to get a positive id but maybe it was. I see peregrine falcons quite regular were i work and this had the same I think you call it jizz. Also were I work there are at least 4 Buzzards hunting. There is a large supply of Hares and feral pigeons to keep these birds of prey happy.

Navy Bank Walk

As Breffni was unavailable to do the Navy Bank walk today, Gerry and myself stood in. About 12 attended and the following species were observed along the shore / on the water:
mute swan, brent geese, shelduck, wigeon, teal, GC Grebe, cormorant, buzzard, oystercatcher, golden plover, grey plover, lapwing, snipe, blackT godwit, curlew, redshank, turnstone, bh gull, common gull, herring gull, and rock pipit (may have missed a few). Surprisingly no herons or egrets in the area.

A special thanks to all who attended.

One of the ladies present owns the house the waxwing is frequenting (only one recorded in the country this weekend) and she brought us down for tea and cake afterwards! The bird appeared after about 10mins and give excellent views from about 10ft.

FYI -no sign of the black redstart at the docks today.

Last edited:
Hello - I've just joined today !

I Live in Dundalk and while out and about walking the dog I've seen 2 weeks ago (at Finbar Ind. est.) about 8 red legged Partridges (they just walked straight across the road in front of my car) and also have spotted a Kestrel Pair & a Goshawk (looked a bit big for a Sparrowhawk) around there too,especially near the smarthomes offices where before Xmas a Kestrel was feeding off a Crow for a few days on the road by the kerbside (thought it a funny place for it to leave it ? maybe it was a bigger birds leftovers)

And I also saw a few Black Guillemots on the peer at Gyles Quay a couple of weeks ago - Amazing red legs !

Great Photo of the Waxwing BTW (never seen one as blue before) Have seen 2 flocks in recent years eating berries (one Glenwood the other in the bushes by the Footy Pitch on the Tom bellew ave)

Bye for now - will post any more sightings

Welcome to the forum Mr Hornblower, Today I saw two Buzzards soaring over the disused quarry beside the recycling centre in Drogheda, Also I saw yellowhammer in a mixed flock of chaffinch and Greenfinch.

Thanks Squidge ! Wonder if you could help me out on an ID - Finch size bird with a black head from the neck up and a distinct line with a rusty red body and brown wings/tail,a flash of white on the wing when in flight ! Thought it was a Bull finch but slightly smaller and a finch type beak as opposed to bill

Only began birdwatching since before christmas so my id skills are pretty poor, As regards your description i'm leaning towards a male chaffinch although I could be completely wrong maybe somebody with a bit more experience would give you a better id, Gerard.P.S. It could also be my old favourite male linnet in summer plummage.

Last edited:
Only began birdwatching since before christmas so my id skills are pretty poor, As regards your description i'm leaning towards a male chaffinch although I could be completely wrong maybe somebody with a bit more experience would give you a better id, Gerard.P.S. It could also be my old favourite male linnet in summer plummage.

OK Squidge - It definitely isn't a male Chaffinch (I have a few cracking ones who I've been feeding in my Garden) I've been looking through my bird books - but nothing similar ? Its not a black cap because its complete head is black !

maybe its a visitor due to the harsh winter in the UK and further afield ?

Thanks Squidge ! Wonder if you could help me out on an ID - Finch size bird with a black head from the neck up and a distinct line with a rusty red body and brown wings/tail,a flash of white on the wing when in flight ! Thought it was a Bull finch but slightly smaller and a finch type beak as opposed to bill
Welcome to the forum! Just took these photos today of a male chaffinch - sometimes in varying light (just like Gerry's blue Waxwing) birds look completely different, so the head on your bird may have looked darker. Does this look like your bird?

Attachments

• ChaffinchMaleSpring02.jpg
    ChaffinchMaleSpring02.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 58
  • ChaffinchMaleSpring01.jpg
    ChaffinchMaleSpring01.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 57
OK Squidge - It definitely isn't a male Chaffinch (I have a few cracking ones who I've been feeding in my Garden) I've been looking through my bird books - but nothing similar ? Its not a black cap because its complete head is black !

maybe its a visitor due to the harsh winter in the UK and further afield ?

Maybe it could be a reed bunting although that discounts the reddish colour.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back