• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (3 Viewers)

Just as an FYI, the original regular price of the Sightron when I purchased them back at the beginning of the this thread (5 years ago?) was approximately $180 US. There have been coupons/promos on various sites where folks have gotten them for somewhat less but I have not kept track of whether that original $180 price has fluctuated over the years.

I still have mine. Zero problems and they still see regular use despite having access to many new models from different companies.

299,992 views! I noted a review I thought I'd share:

"What a pleasant surprise - to actually get MORE than what you pay for! I've read about these on several forums and one in particular is populated by birders who are some of the most knowledgeable optics snobs on the planet".

Cheers ...

I am still enjoying and using my Sightron 8x32, although it sees a little less use since I added a Cabela's Guide 8x32. Both are back up binoculars--I keep one in my car and the other in my wife's car. The Sightron and Guide are similar in price and both great performers at that price point. I still love the ergonomics of the Sightron, but the Guide is a bit better optically.

In any case, I regularly using both of these binoculars and I feel no need to bring along anything more unless it is a dedicated birding or astronomy trip. I can heartily recommend either of these binoculars as a nice entry level for new birders. It is very definitely a move up from the $100 realm, and in my experience you need to spend double to best them in an 8x32.

Alan

Does anyone have any views on how the Sightron (or more specifically the Kenko Ultraview) compares to the Kowa SV 8 x 32?

Thanks,

Chris

I am still enjoying and using my Sightron 8x32, although it sees a little less use since I added a Cabela's Guide 8x32. Both are back up binoculars--I keep one in my car and the other in my wife's car. The Sightron and Guide are similar in price and both great performers at that price point. I still love the ergonomics of the Sightron, but the Guide is a bit better optically.

In any case, I regularly using both of these binoculars and I feel no need to bring along anything more unless it is a dedicated birding or astronomy trip. I can heartily recommend either of these binoculars as a nice entry level for new birders. It is very definitely a move up from the $100 realm, and in my experience you need to spend double to best them in an 8x32.

Alan

I completely agree, except that I had the Mojave 10x32's (same as the Cabelas guide 10x32) and my Sightrons are a little better IMO, although it's always tough to compare 8 to 10x.

Since buying my 8x32 Blue Sky II's a few years ago, I have gone through maybe 5 or 6 pairs of other binocs including Leupold Mojaves, Nikon HG-L, Swaro SLC, Bushnell Elites and Vortex Vipers.

I've bought and sold all of those and am back to only two pairs - my 8x32 Sightrons and my 10x42 Maven C1's. See a theme here? LOL

I still cannot believe just how much detail those Sightrons can resolve for a $175 pair of binoculars, and the double hinge in an 8x32 makes for such a great binocular to carry.

I usually find something I don't like about a binocular pretty quickly, but have yet to find any reason to ditch the Sightrons.

Last edited:
Hi Mr Monday,

I think that is a review of the old version of kenkos. The "good" version is DHII.

Regards

Enviado desde mTalk

So the DHII is the same as the Fujinon KF 8x32?

How does the Kenko Ultraview DH 8x42/ Fujinon KF 8x42 compare to the DHII? There is no DHII version of the 8x42, does that mean that the 8x32 is better optically than the 8x42?

"There is no DHII version of the 8x42, does that mean that the 8x32 is better optically than the 8x42?"

Apparently Sightron discontinued the 8X42 because it wasn't selling in the same numbers as the 8X32.

"There is no DHII version of the 8x42, does that mean that the 8x32 is better optically than the 8x42?"

Apparently Sightron discontinued the 8X42 because it wasn't selling in the same numbers as the 8X32.

Sightron did discontinue their re-badge but Kenko still sells the original and Fujifilm also sells a re-badged version. If it has the same resolution as the 8x32 it's probably a really underrated bin.

2018, as the Energizer boo-knee, 8x32 Blue Sky keeps going & going ...

Since first report by Frank in 2011 I cannot help but wonder how many sold and in retrospect how many BF members are still around.

2018, as the Energizer boo-knee, 8x32 Blue Sky keeps going & going ...

Since first report by Frank in 2011 I cannot help but wonder how many sold and in retrospect how many BF members are still around.

Though it's my first few weeks on birdforum I've decided that I'll give them a go and they'll be my first binoculars! The sheer number of reviews and comparisons have me convinced.

Colin

W/almost 1500 posts grinding evah so slowly to 60 pages reaching for 400K views the Sightron has surely achieved cult status in two bills or under bins.

Even more impressive, as time goes by, is not only the sheer numbers, but longevity of the glass.

Me old buds at OP have them w/10% off for 189.99 TTD in the states.

The Sightron 8x32 is not my best binocular, and on paper (comparing specs and testing some specs myself) it is not even my best <$200 binocular. Yet, I can't imagine selling or trading it, and I would replace it in a heartbeat. I believe it is a case of someone making a really good series of design decisions about where to spend and where to not spend money. There is just something about the total package, optics and ergonomics, that is appealing. And moreover I'm surprised by the lack of distracting issues so often found at lower price points. I'm not saying the Sightron 8x32 is without issues, but once again for me, they got the most important things right. It is a poster child for try before you buy, though ironically it seems to be available only via mail order.

Greetings to all, I'm not new but it's been years since I've posted here. I had a lot of fun being an addict and I sure learned a lot from all the fine folk here and enjoyed all the bickering too. The bug seems to have bit me again.

I have a quick question. I'm in the market for some 10x bins. I've owned three pair of the Sightron 8x32 and love them although one pair was not up to par and I sold them at a big discount to someone who thought they were wonderful. Anyway is there any reason not to purchase the Blue Skys in 10x? I can get a pair for around $153, which seems like a good deal.

So should I spring for the 10x? If not any suggestions in something similar? Thanks guys.

Greetings to all, I'm not new but it's been years since I've posted here. I had a lot of fun being an addict and I sure learned a lot from all the fine folk here and enjoyed all the bickering too. The bug seems to have bit me again.

I have a quick question. I'm in the market for some 10x bins. I've owned three pair of the Sightron 8x32 and love them although one pair was not up to par and I sold them at a big discount to someone who thought they were wonderful. Anyway is there any reason not to purchase the Blue Skys in 10x? I can get a pair for around $153, which seems like a good deal.

So should I spring for the 10x? If not any suggestions in something similar? Thanks guys.

Hello Mr Crow! Nice to see you around again! I would say that if you can get the 10x32 BSII's with a return policy, for sure, buy them and see how they do for you. They may do better than the Bushnells you have now, with updated coatings on the Sightrons, and they are pretty light. What I liked most is how comfortable they are to use. That said, I thought the 10x32 BSII's I tried weren't as sharp as my 8x32's, and there was a little stitch in the focuser that made it harder to fine focus, but that was one pair, and my eyes looking through them. They could be perfect for you with different eyesight, or you may get a sharper pair than I had!

Similar is the Leupold Mojave BX3 10x32's in that price range, or slightly higher unless you look for a deal. Cabelas had them on sale when I got mine. More compact (but thicker barrels) than the BS, larger oculars, really fine focusing, but I preferred the BS 10's myself. But one person's eyes aren't the other guys, so you know-buy and try and if they don't work for you, send them back! Simple but effective and the only way to shop for these sometimes. Unless you can get somewhere that sells a lot of brands at one place, which with 10x32's, might be difficult.

PS That's a good deal!

Last edited:

I have owned a number of inexpensive 10x32 roof prism binoculars over the years and none of them were much good at all. IMO the only good ones are expensive, like the Nikon EDG (which I own), the Zeiss FL and the Leica Ultravid.

Instead take a look at the Pentax AD 9x32 WP, which I also own. It qualifies as "something similar." ;) It is the only binocular I own that I can place anywhere on my eyes and not get blackouts. I can put them back into my eye sockets or brace them up against my brow ridge and still see the full FOV.

It is a clone of the Sightron 8x32 and like the Sightron it is made in the Philippines. It will give you a better view than any inexpensive 10x32 can give you and you won't miss that extra 1x power. It has a 351' FOV @ 1000 yards and comfortable 16mm eye relief.

https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/index.php/sport-optics/a-series/ad-9x32-wp

Bob

Everyone is somewhat unique in their interpretations, yet the 10x was discontinued whilst the 8X carried on. OP compared both though was not overwhelmed in the least w/10X version.

I like Bob's Pentax AD 9x32 WP offer, as a bridge of sorts twixt 8 & 10X, though it runs around 75 clams more than the 8XBL II. Certainly not a deal breaker, yet that is more than a third of price of the Blue Sky.

W/that in mind what might be available for a third more than the Pentax at $368? These are evah so roughly numbers that I'm sure could be bested by any given O.P. 10% off sale that occurs on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back