• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fleck's (Senegal) Coucal and "his" Cape Crombec (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some additional details (and possibly some undesired confusion) on ...

flecki as in:
• the subspecies Fleck's (Senegal) Coucal Centropus senegalensis flecki REICHENOW 1893 (here) as "Centropus flecki":
Die Art ist zu Ehren ihres Entdecker, Herrn Dr. Ed. Fleck, benannt.
• the subspecies Sylvietta rufescens flecki REICHENOW 1900 (here) as "S. [Sylviella] flecki", no dedication nor explanation, simply "(Fleck)".

Today's HBW Alive Key explain this eponym as:
flecki
Dr Eduard Fleck (b. 1843) German geologist, plant-collector in South West Africa 1889-1892 (subsp. Centropus senegalensis, subsp. Sylvietta rufescens).
...but I think we´re dealing with the Austrian geologist and collector of various Naturalia (both birds, insects and plants) Dr. (PhD) Eduard (alt. Fleck, (fl. 1914).

Born in Innsbruck, Austria (Österreich) ... collector in East Africa (Deutsch-Südwestafrika) from 1888/89 until 1892/3, moved to Romania in 1894 (where he lived, at least until 1904 ... ( but again in Africa, in Namibia in 1899-1902/3) ... and thereafter he moved back to Innsbruck in 1914, (here) ... and vanished!

No birth nor death year found. Where the claim of him being born in "1843" originated from is beyond me ...

Also see the following links; here, here and here (p.79). Or here (p.113-114) ... if you understand German.
Der dritte Mitkompagnon in der Zementfabrik war ein Herr Dr. Eduard Fleck, wie Erler ein Tiroler aus Innsbruck und mehrere Jahre in Südafrika als Geologe für eine deutsche Kolonialgesellschaft tätig gewesen und wusste aus der Kahalari-Wüste höchst Interessantes zu berichten. Da er diese Studienreise mit Frau und einer 14-jährigen Tochter durchgeführt hatte, die ebenfalls in Azuga wohnten, so gab es an den Sonntagen meist recht gute Unterhaltung.
The full meaning of it (and the context) is far beyond me ...

Was he also partner in a Concrete Factory in Rumania?!?

However: enjoy!

Björn

_________________________________________________________________________________
Not to confuse with his namesake: the German (Prussian) Officer and Jurist Eduard Fleck (1805–1879)

Here:

Als ein recht freudenreiches Ereigniß verdient bemerkt zu werden, daß der hohe Landesauschuß der gefürsteten Grafschaft Tirol unterm 11. Juni d. J., Z. 1926, dem Schüler der 6. Klasse dieser Ober-Realschule, Eduard Fleck, das erledigte landschaftliche Stipendium für Polytechniker von jährlich 300 fl. österr. Währung, vom Studienjahre 1863—4 angefangen, gnädigst verliehen hat.

I am a little bit confused about 1926 in a publication from 1863. And mentioned in herehere and in context with Azuga.

Last edited:
I am a little bit confused about 1926 in a publication from 1863.
In many other places in this journal, complete dates (i.e., with a year instead of "d. J." as here) are followed by ", Z." and a number. The number ranges up to (at least) 41384 [here].
I've no clue what it is, but it's not a year.

(My best guess, so far, would be a reference to a law or decree, given as a page number in an official journal. But this might be completely wrong)

Last edited:
My guess is that "Z." means "Zahl", i.e. "Number", referring to a series of, um, things being referred to. But what those things might be, I have no idea either.

Let's re-open the thread with The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claim:
Fleck's Coucal Centropus senegalensis flecki Reichenow, 1893 [Alt. Senegal Coucal ssp.]
Long-billed Crombec ssp. Sylvietta rufescens flecki Reichenow, 1900
Dr Eduard Fleck (1843–at least 1911) was a German ornithologist who explored and collected in German South West Africa (Namibia) (1889–1892). He sent his specimens to Reichenow (q.v.) in Berlin. He was elected a member of the of the Deutsche Ornithologische Gesellschaft (1894) and published extensively. However, after a few years the flow of publications abruptly ceased when (c.1895) he moved to the village of Azuga in the Transylvanian Alps (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, now in Romania). There, with an old schoolfriend, he setup a factory to make Portland cement and (1911) worked as director and continued private study.

If Zobodat is correct:
* 1841 Innsbruck, Austria
† 1917

If this is correct or not may or may not in question. But the information seems from Die Ornithologen Mitteleuropas.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back